StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have my Givi crashbars and I'm ready to install them on my DL650. The bolts holding the engine seem to be very tight, and I'm a little hesitant to use too much pressure. Are there any tricks in removing those bolts so I can install my crashbars? Has anyone (other than the guy who rounded one of the bolts off :( ) ran into problems removing these bolts?

Thanks, Tom

M

·
0 Posts
I used a cheater bar with my allen wrench to break the bolts lose. Then I purchase a case hardened socket allen wrench so I could torque the Givi guard very tight (with lock tight). No vibration issues at all.

Tom

J

·
0 Posts
I twisted the hell out of my allen wrench but with the help of a cheater it came off. Cheap tools may not do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went to Sears and bought a socket allen wrench also - worked like a champ. The 1/2" socket works better - longer ratchet handle. Be sure to put locktight on the new bolts and crank 'em down. And be sure to do one side at a time as per instructions - I actually put a small floor jack under the engine, I also have the centerstand. You may have to add washers/spacers to get the 2 halves together tight at the front.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success! I used my 12" adjustable wrench to turn my allen wrench, and the bolts came right out (amazing what a bit of leverage will do). I followed the instructions, one side at a time, and it went on great. I tightened everything down (sorry, no torque wrench--just the same way I got the bolts off) including using the blue locktite.

I feel a little vibration, but I think that's my imagination after reading about a few complaints. What little vibration I felt could have been there before I mounted the bars--it's not like I've had a lot of recent riding time here in Minnesota to make a valid comparison.

Thanks for your suggestions and moral support!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts