Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting on a new front tire. I’m reinstalling now and realized the front axle doesn’t have a positive stop on the left fork. I forgot what it was before uninstalling.

Is the axle just supposed to be flush with the outside surface of the fork?

·
Registered
378 Posts
You first tighten the axle. then skoose the front fork up and down to center the side with the pinch bolt. then tighten the pinch bolt or bolts

·
Registered
422 Posts
ErockJL,

I believe what you are talking about, is the position of the LH fork leg's axle clamp in relation to the LH end of the axle. It will be about flush, but not quite.

This adjustment is important. Failure to get it aligned can result in a fork with binding action.

For the 650 guys, the 1000 fork is all different than the 650, and MUCH better construction.

You want to do this-

Install axle and all the other stuff (of course)
Tighten the axle nut, and then the RH clamp. If the axle spins, just snug the RH clamps to hold the axle from turning.
Hold the front brake and bounce the suspension a couple of time to center the fork on the axle.
Tighten the LH clamp.
Properly torque both LH and RH clamps and axle.

Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ErockJL,

I believe what you are talking about, is the position of the LH fork leg's axle clamp in relation to the LH end of the axle. It will be about flush, but not quite.

This adjustment is important. Failure to get it aligned can result in a fork with binding action.

For the 650 guys, the 1000 fork is all different than the 650, and MUCH better construction.

You want to do this-

Install axle and all the other stuff (of course)
Tighten the axle nut, and then the RH clamp. If the axle spins, just snug the RH clamps to hold the axle from turning.
Hold the front brake and bounce the suspension a couple of time to center the fork on the axle.
Tighten the LH clamp.
Properly torque both LH and RH clamps and axle.

Hope this all helps.
Exactly what I meant, and exactly the procedure I ended up following:thumbup:
It does seem about flush, maybe an actual hair proud.

Couple tips i would like to share. Maybe they could be useful. I apologize for the sideways pics. For some reason no matter how much a try to edit and rotate the photos they keep coming out like this. Havent spent the time to figure it out.

I used ratchet straps as makeshift winches and hooked them to the tree on the bike. I also used a jack as added lift. Overboard yes, but i like a stable bike as its sitting there while i have to go get the tire changed.

I use door hanging shims in brake calipers in case i get an itchy brake finger. I do this on cars to, added insurance. This time they actually were used. I went to compress the fork and applied the break.

I made an axle socket tool from a bolt and two nuts. It was an english bolt, so i believe the hex was 15/16. Perfect for the 24 mm axle.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts