StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of using the BMW type power outlet? I can not decide if I should install the cigarette type outlet or the powerlet. On the stroms there is supposed to be a wire to hook into that is there for heated grips. Does someone have a pic of what this looks like so I do not slice into the wrong thing?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The BMW style outlets are more secure and reliable but it's unlikely that you will find many off the shelf products that have the plugs for them. Most 12v auto products have cigarette socket plugs. I have a BMW Powerlet socket on the left side of the fairing and a cigarette cable adapter in case I need it which gives me both options.
The Powerlet kits wire back to the battery or to an accessory fuse box that is usually mounted under the seat. Mine simply goes to the battery which means it's live all the time so I'm just careful not to leave anything in it when the ignition is turned off.
On the Wee the heated grip wire is behind the radiator near the fan. it's the only plug there that does not connect to anything and it's a real pain to get to.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Outlet

What are the pros and cons of using the BMW type power outlet? I can not decide if I should install the cigarette type outlet or the powerlet. On the stroms there is supposed to be a wire to hook into that is there for heated grips. Does someone have a pic of what this looks like so I do not slice into the wrong thing?
If you don't have things that specifically plug into the powerlet, like a heated vest etc..., then I would get the cigarette type outlet but it really is what YOU have to plug in. The heated grip plug you are looking for is under the gas tank. I would still just run your outlet straight to your battery with an inline fuse or better yet put in a fuse box for future farkles. That way you know how much power you can use there. Some of the chargers, GPS or whatever you plan to run there may be too much for that heated grip outlet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The OEM connector has the capacity to run heated grips. GPS units and other electronic devices take a lot less power. An air compressor, for example, is a different story.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I started cheap and easy with my KLR electronics and went with cigar sockets. They work, but they don't lock in place as Powerlet products do. When I wire up the V-Strom, it will be with Powerlet outlets and I will carry an adaptor as K1W1 mentioned. The other advantage of Powerlets, they are much smaller.

The negative side of this is endevour is I will have to re-wire my existing cigar adapters to Powerlet plugs, but I enjoy eletronics so that is not a big deal.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Be careful. Some electronics such as GPS units have a 12V-5V reducer built into the cigar lighter plug.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just went through the same thing. Ended up going with Powerlet cigarette lighter with a weather cap.

Looking at the bike, my question is where the heck to mount it. I had considered mounting it inside one of my Zegas so I could charge the phone, computer, etc on trips, but the thought of drilling a large hole in one of those babies made me a little sick..

Not much real-estate to work with.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Mounting

I just went through the same thing. Ended up going with Powerlet cigarette lighter with a weather cap.

Looking at the bike, my question is where the heck to mount it. I had considered mounting it inside one of my Zegas so I could charge the phone, computer, etc on trips, but the thought of drilling a large hole in one of those babies made me a little sick..

Not much real-estate to work with.
I got the one from Eastern Beaver with a weather cap. It's a round cylinder and just fits in the wiring loom on the fork that the clutch cable slips through. I used the nut on the bottom and it's secure. Dunno if yours is the right size but mine fits with plenty of slack for the clutch cable to work in. Here is a shot, I could have drilled a hole but why?

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now that^^, my man, is a great idea!:hurray:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Sure

Ya, nice one. Can I use that photo on my site?
Sure man, I'd be honored!! If it wasn't for your site I would never have discovered what a Posi-Lock was. So thanks and enjoy! Want me to email you a better pic?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You also have the option of this plate from Rick Hughes: VSRI Vendors - Dash Shelf

Good piece...and he'll pre-drill it for whatever you order, if you want.
This is the route I'm going. It's taking a while to get it right, but will be worth it.

I have two Powerlets (From Eastern Beaver) and a Digital Meter to mount on that shelf.

FYI: If you get the Powerlet wiring harnesses from Eastern Beaver and you want to mount your powerlets somewhere up front, get something longer than 42", I asked before ordering and never got a reply so I guesstimated and was about 12" on the wrong side ;-) (And it figures, I have 18 Gauge and 12 Gauge wire but no 14 Gauge around).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts