StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing a lighter type plug in the fairing of the WEE2
But--------------:headbang:
I have lifted the tank(aint that some process:thumbdown:)to run wires(fused) from the battery.The removal of enough fairing to actually get at the vertical surfaces ideally placed for such a plug has got me beat.
Did a search but still can find the answer.HELP:confused:
Macca

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You might try the Twisted Throttle website. Iirc, they have quite a few install instructions which might cover the item you're trying to do.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
G'day KIWI
Yep I have all the stuff off to lift the tank.Its up and the wires are ready to go but ------what I would like to do is put the NARVA plug in one of those small vertical surfaces that are on each side of the Wee2 fairing.Where the WARNING sticker is on the RHS.
Problem is,what can I remove to get at the back of the plastic.I can get my fingers in there but if I'm going to drill the fairing I would like better than that.
Stuffed if I can work out how to remove any panels that will access that area.
Cheers, Macca

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Stuffed if I can work out how to remove any panels that will access that area.
Cheers, Macca
I would suspect that you work from the front. Take the screen off and undo any screws that you find behind it. The front of the fairing attached to a big bracket that sticks out from the steering head between the headlights. What often happens is the the instrument binnacle is put on first then the fairing goes on last on top of it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will give that a try tomorrow.May as well go for broke,its a learning experience.:confused:
And I used to bitch about taking the tank off the 08 KLR.Compared to the Wee2 its a walk in the park.:green_lol:

I now know which one I will be using for the isolated areas.Imagine changing the Wee air filter on the Strzelecki Track:yikes:(not that I intend to take it out there anyway :mrgreen:)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
While you have the tank off check the air inlet. I assume that it is the same as the previous model with a snorkel arrangement that draws air up from above the radiator. If it is put a piece of mesh over the inlet (window fly screen is perfect) and secure it with a large cable tie or a couple of smaller ones joined.
That inlet is a magnet for flying things and you won't believe the number of bugs, wasps, and dead things you will find on top of the air filter after a short while. That simple piece of mesh halves your cleaning chores.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I just did this yesterday with no drama and took pics. I was thinking of putting a "how to" together for it since it's such a common mod.

A few PITA-savers:
1. Put masking tape over the spot where you are going to put it. You can check location and mark easier. When you're actually drilling/ filing, it will protect the area around the hole from damage.

2. I drilled a bunch of small holes around the circumference of my circle marked; connected the dots with a utility knife, then filed to the line with half-circular file. Besides not having the proper sized bit to do one big hole, you don't have to worry about drill walk, etc.

3. Attach wires to the plug before installing it. It's a lot easier to drop it all thru the hole and then just fish the wires back to the battery than to attempt to make connection with the plug installed. A plus is that when you fish the backside retainer ring thru the wires, they guide it right to the plug and help hold in in place so you can get it on with one hand.

HTH. I mounted mine on the horizontal surface, as I'd done on my Vee. It has a little plastic cover, never gave me any trouble with water.
Hopefully you can get the thing installed without having to pull more plastic. I lifted the tank to get the wires back to the battery. First time on this bike. What a PITA on the '12!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just installed one on my bike a couple of weeks ago. Used a forstner bit to drill the hole in the fairing--on the flat spot where the warning labels were. The forstner bit will guide itself and cuts a nice round hole---just make sure not to let the bit go thru the plastic and cut into anything else.
As far as routing the wires past the gas tank I just wrapped both the wires with protective spiral wrap--ran a flexible piece of wire thru the opening under the fuel tank ( there is already a wire loom on the left side running thru there )--taped the wires to the flex wire and oh so gently pulled the wires thru the opening under the tank. Used a couple of zip ties at both ends to keep the wires from flopping around.
Never lifted the tank--it was a piece of cake to do this way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Are you blokes saying you drilled the hole and fitted the plug with all the fairing in position ?
Did you just pick a likely spot on that flat vertical section and hope :confused:
I'm thinking thats what I will probably do,removing bits of plastic from this thing is doing my head in.:furious:

Hang on a bit-----read again and----
The horizontal surface hole I can do easy lots of space in that area.
The vertical is the one I would like to know more about.
Cheers, Macca

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
You can see the black rectangular bezel of my voltmeter on the left side vertical plane of the fairing. There is a frame member just to the right of it but plenty of room where it is.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Are you blokes saying you drilled the hole and fitted the plug with all the fairing in position ?
I did - but on the horizontal.

I think you could do the vertical just as well - with the fairing in place - assuming you have the clearance behind there to fit the outlet. You only need to to get BEHIND the dash to screw the retaining nut on. The plastic nut on the back of mine has tabs sticking out around the periphery so you really only need to get a finger - or the end of a screwdriver or whatever - to swing thru a few degrees to walk the nut around.

Also: I was careful making my hole: file a bit, check fit, repeat. The result was that I had to "thread" the socket down thru the hole. I think you could just about get away with tapping the hole and screwing down (maybe with a home-grown locknut) from the top side. The OD threads are sure to be a weird size, tho.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks GW
The photo gives me the location :thumbup:
I would love to know how to get to the back of that panel tho ???
Going up to the shed to have another look.
Macca

·
38,049 Posts
The screws and plastic rivets have to be removed and the panel junctures separated by levering the joints downward and the panels on both sides of the joints upward. The two screws at the top, #25 is the only one shown, are left in place as they hold the instrument panel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again GW but I got the bugger:thumbup::hurray:
I removed the screws 24,25,26.27 etc and popped of the instruments and surrounding panel
You would have posted the diagrams while I was :headbang: and trying to get at the back of the previously fitted NARVA plug on the LHS.
As you know,the flat vertical sections are perfect little dashboards(if you dont mind drilling holes in your bike),enough room back there for the arse end of plugs/switches and easy access with the panel removed.

Just where do you produce these fiche drawings from ? It would be a excellent reference point for any forum member delving into the great unknown,and a link would be most useful.
If I had been able to check the drawings before I started this project it would have saved some frustration and :furious:
I dont know what my neighbors must think sometimes,some strange noises and harsh words issue from the man cave:green_lol:.
Cheers, Macca

·
38,049 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts