StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have that many miles on my Wee (2295) but I have been studying all the seat mod threads trying to determine what the best, most cost effective, budget minded upgrade could be employed to improve my ride. I'm 6'3" and weigh 215#s, mostly in my legs, so, like many, I wanted a little more leg room.

I found a stock Vee seat in the market place here and jumped on it! Delivered for $70 and I felt like I had made a great deal. (Thanks grantizzle!) However, after I installed it and rode for 250 mile trip, I am amazed at the difference. Someone else reported that the foam in the stock Vee seat is of a higher grade than the foam in the Wee seat and I agree that the foam is definitely different. The seat is marginally wider, especially at the waist, and much firmer with good support that makes it ride great. I don't feel like the seat is scooped as much and I am not pushed onto the gas tank near as much. The ride increased my seat height about one inch, and I know that doesn't sound like much but when you factor in the better foam that doesn't sag as much, I feel like there is a dramatic difference between the two seats.

I am impressed, so much so, that I don't think I will be changing anything else about my seating configuration.
That's real good news to my wallet because some of those custom seat upgrades are real expensive. Of course, I will need to put a few more miles on this new to me seat configuration, say maybe 1000-2000 miles, but so far I am really impressed.

I have a great seat on a great bike for a great ride. Yah, I don't have that many miles on my 2011 Wee but I am in love all over again. This bike is just great! :beatnik:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm on a borrowed Vee seat and I agree it is definitely more comfortable. I am still planning on modding my stock seat at some point to see if I can make it better. I'm 6'4" but have a few extra pounds...:thumbdown:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Vee seat is significantly comfier than the Wee seat. I did over 1000 miles in one day on one with an Alaska Leather sheepskin added but it wasn't the best experience. I still use it for up to about 2 hour rides. For longer trips though, I put on the Sargent plus sheepskin.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice to hear it is working out, I only have 1600 miles on my Wee seat and thinking about replacing it at some point. I only commute 20 minutes one way to work so I have not been in any rush to "upgrade", but tomorrow will be my first "real" long ride so I will see if that changes anything.

I am 6'5' 215pds so the extra inch would be nice for the legs and spending 350+ on a seat is hard to do.

If I can find another Vee seat for 70 I will be grabbing it next. I have no care to mod my Wee seat so I would like to do a Wee/Vee seat trade. (ANYONE?????)

Give updates on the seat because I am one who will be looking for some more thoughts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been looking for a vee seat also, I have been using a Gel which is not bad but I want to cut down on the heat.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I also put a Vee seat on my Wee when I first got it, thinking it was worth a try. Loved it and have never felt the need to change it, 10 hrs in the saddle no problem. After that I'm done anyways :) I did a straight swap with someone on the forum who was vertically challenged and wanted a wee seat. So it just cost me postage.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The Vee seat is significantly comfier than the Wee seat. ... I still use it for up to about 2 hour rides. For longer trips though, I put on the Sargent plus sheepskin.
Does the Vee seat have some advantage for shorter trips? (else why would you switch back and forth?)

·
38,104 Posts
Does the Vee seat have some advantage for shorter trips? (else why would you switch back and forth?)
I like the looks of the Vee seat better. It's also easier to move around on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As I stated before, I have the Gel now. I liked the riding feel of the dl650 seat but the comfort was just not there. Now that I have been using the gel I cannot go back to the stock seat but to me the Gel makes the bike feel a little more "clumsy" for lack of a better word, and the heat it soaks up during the day is killing me. how big of a difference is the comfort level of the vee to the gel?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
The extra height of the Vee seat allows more foam, if not better foam. Really helps the knees on longer rides. That is theoretical because I don't think I could stand a "Wee" seat for more than an hour! I have the Suzuki Gel seat on the Wee and for the money I think it is a very good compromise. Not a big gel fan normally. The difference is in the shape of the Suzuki gel seat. Much better than even the Vee seat. Especially the angle with the rear of the seating area noticeably lower than the forward part compared to the standard Vee.

·
38,104 Posts
A sheepskin pad keeps the sun off the gel and adds a little comfort. Most people say the gel is the most comfortable Suzuki seat when cool. As for esthetics, I park the bike outside restaurants with big windows so I can admire it as I eat. I really like the look in sport mode; in tour mode, not so much.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have added a custom made "bead-rider" from Walmart for $8 and I love it. I get another inch from my bead-rider and all the cooling as well. I have an Alaska Leather full pelt for winter but with the chance of showers in the summer, I prefer the bead-rider because water will not pond in my nether regions but instead just flow on through. And being as cheap as I am, it's hard to beat the price at eight bucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe you know this, but the heat problem is easily solved with a throw-on half-cover like the Nelson Rigg NV 2000.
yeah but I'm lazy :) . I ride daily if I can and don't want to fight with a cover. I have considered getting a sheepskin butt pad but I'm still on the fence with the way they look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have added a custom made "bead-rider" from Walmart for $8 and I love it. I get another inch from my bead-rider and all the cooling as well. I have an Alaska Leather full pelt for winter but with the chance of showers in the summer, I prefer the bead-rider because water will not pond in my nether regions but instead just flow on through. And being as cheap as I am, it's hard to beat the price at eight bucks.
I may go ahead and give these a shot for the price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let me get this straight: you're concerned about the aesthetics of a sheepskin pad, but you're ok with a beaded seat cover? :green_lol:

You're an odd one indeed.
not really, but its $8 local vs $50 shipped so if I don't like it I can toss them. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a Vee seat coming for my Wee and will post my results after some ride time. I am 5'11" and a hefty 300 pounds and the stock seat is killing my bum after less than thirty miles. :furious: The bike I came off was much more comfortable even with the thirty year old seat on it....lol.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
A sheepskin pad keeps the sun off the gel and adds a little comfort. Most people say the gel is the most comfortable Suzuki seat when cool. As for esthetics, I park the bike outside restaurants with big windows so I can admire it as I eat. I really like the look in sport mode; in tour mode, not so much.

Cool photos Pat. I shouldo do a "Sport" and "Touring" photo set like yours. With the big screen, 3 bags, etc., it really does look like a different bike.

Amazingly versatile, these VStrom. Every time I think I want a new bike, I stop and ask...why? This one does everything...pretty damn well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts