StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

This is my very first post so please be nice. I have had my 2013 DL650 about a week and felt the need to install handlebar risers, nothing too fancy, just to see if they helped with comfort.

I went with a set of SPP variable risers, they basically come with plates you can choose to use to make the height customisable. See attached pic.

I installed the risers, leaving out only the single thickest plate, so I reckon they raise the bars about 40mm ish?

My question is this.....I am a little stressed about all the cables and how I know if I have any issues. The brake line is taut but doesn't seem to cause any obvious problems. The others seem fine. What do I check for? How do I know if I have a cable length issue? I have gone for a spin and tested the bars at full lock but I don't really know what I am looking for.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,
Wasn't too bad of a first post. 40mm is 1.6 inches for a lot of us so you might get better responses if you use metric and SAE.

I have 2" (50mm) risers that pivot back 25mm and up 25mm (1" up, 1" back) and if feel it's the max I can be comfortable with. I've had the risers on for a couple of thousand miles with no issues.

You will have to fuss with the clips that secure the cables to allow slack to move around to where you need it. See if you can find a place where nothing is getting stretched or bound. A big clue is if you rotate the handle bar lock to lock with the engine at idle and it changes rpm.

However, when in doubt, re-route. Or go with longer cables. IMO, getting the ergonomics right is just as important as getting the suspension right. Speaking of suspension, make sure your travel isn't being limited by the brake hose.

Hope you figure it out. Advise is cheap but here's my best..... If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
Ciao'

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put 2 inch risers on my 2014 strom and left the cables stock length. They are pulled tight some places, but I just had to take some of the cables out of the clip and has been working fine for 10,000 miles. I do plan on putting new cables on but its not needed now

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,564 Posts
I went with 30mm risers. I don't think I would be too comfortable with how tight the brake hoses would be with any more than 30. Unless you came up with a different routing?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Inch up, inch back with stock cables. No problems for 16,000 smiles! :)
Ride safe, all.
g

·
Registered
621 Posts
My 2" pixoting Rox Risers have been to Canada twice and off-road many times. The cables have never presented an issue.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
adjust

do adjust both throttle cables to remove slack if you will use bar risers.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hi Russelles and welcome to the forum.
If you can go from lock to lock without binding it should be ok, but if you're unsure get someone else to check.
Say hi on the Aussie page as well, we'd all like to get to know ya :thumbup:. Besides there's a few 'troopers up that way and not every one reads the main page.
Cheers

Reactions: McRooster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

I might try to get a couple of pics and stick a short video on YouTube of going from lock to lock. When everyone says binding do you mean tightening or pinching or something like that?

Will check in with the Aussie guys too, cheers for the heads up v-chips!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry autocorrect fail and not sure I can edit my last post. Thanks for the heads up v-chops! ( not chips :) )

·
Registered
62 Posts
YouTube and my phone aren't playing ball but here are some pics of my risers installed.

View attachment 100457

View attachment 100465

View attachment 100473

View attachment 100481

Cheers

Simon
Can I ask your height, please?
At 5 feet 6 inches (maybe 7) I feel I have to lean forward too much.
I want to sit up straighter and not extend my arms so far forward.
I am sure it is safe - the bike has felt super stable for 25,000 kilometres from new - it is a comfort/pain thing.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts