StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my brother give me a hand, as I read that it works out better wth 2 people. Needless to say, all went well until it came time to attach the springs.

Good thing my brother is a strong bastard as they were a bitch. ended up using a pair of vice grips and pulling. Glad it's over, but really only took about 1/2 hour from start to finish.:D

·
Registered
797 Posts
I actually installed my (Suzuki) center stand today as well. I would say it's mostly a one person job, and pretty straight forward. The springs were the only issue and tested me a bit. I ended up doing the rope trick, namely using the hook on the spring as a pulley, giving me leverage to pull it onto the stand. The big spring took some effort, but I finally got it.

Although it didn't call for it, I used blue loctite on all bolts. I figure it's probably a good idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed an HB centerstand on my '08 Wee yesterday. I expected a lot of drama from the springs, but IMO it was fairly easy. If the stop/bumper is not installed, the stand can swing a little higher, bringing the two spring pegs closer together. Only had to stretch them about 1/8". First the inner spring,then the outer, using needle-nose vice grips. Lastly, installed the stop/bumper thing.
:cool:

Sean

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had my brother give me a hand, as I read that it works out better wth 2 people. Needless to say, all went well until it came time to attach the springs.

Good thing my brother is a strong bastard as they were a bitch. ended up using a pair of vice grips and pulling. Glad it's over, but really only took about 1/2 hour from start to finish.:D
Which stand did you use. I hear some of these aftermarket stands tend to clank a bit when you hit a bump. Any problems yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The OEM stand is one of the first things I added to mine when I bought it a couple months ago, does anybody know, should we use lock tight on the bolts to prevent vibrating loose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The OEM stand is one of the first things I added to mine when I bought it a couple months ago, does anybody know, should we use lock tight on the bolts to prevent vibrating loose?

I doubt you could go wrong using a dab of Loctite Blue on any fastener on any motorcycle. Especially on a vibey single or twin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just installed the Suzuki center stand on my DL650 this evening. I was thinking 'this is a piece of cake' until I got to the springs. I'll second what was said above - getting the springs on was a battle. Luckily I was able to use some junk parts in my garage to rig up a spring puller gadget like the instructions showed. I don't think I could have got them on there with pliers.

I didn't use loktite on the bolts, but I plan to check on them every once in a while.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Just installed the Suzuki center stand on my DL650 this evening. I was thinking 'this is a piece of cake' until I got to the springs. I'll second what was said above - getting the springs on was a battle. Luckily I was able to use some junk parts in my garage to rig up a spring puller gadget like the instructions showed. I don't think I could have got them on there with pliers.

I didn't use loktite on the bolts, but I plan to check on them every once in a while.
The shoestring method pops them right on.;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used a piece of string. It was ridiculously easy. The only flaw is that there is still a shred of stuck string under the spring. What to do...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts