StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've swapped a 16-tooth front sprocket into my DL650K7 and really love the change! While I was at it I decided to document the process to aid others interested in making the switch. For a review of the install look here:
http://www.reverendbiker.com/vstrom/sprocket.htm

·
Registered
292 Posts
Excellent write up! I wish it was available before I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the Clutch Cable off the Clutch Screw Assembly rather than just remove the whole thing :oops:

Sometimes I'm not the sharpest light bulb :)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Involute said:
Excellent write up! I wish it was available before I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the Clutch Cable off the Clutch Screw Assembly rather than just remove the whole thing :oops:

Thanks, Scott. The reason that I published this install is so that other owners won't have to make the same mistakes we did :wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Reverendbiker said:
Involute said:

Thanks, Scott. The reason that I published this install is so that other owners won't have to make the same mistakes we did :wink:

Doh! :eek:

Et Tu Reverend? :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reverendbiker said:
The reason that I published this install is so that other owners won't have to make the same mistakes we did :wink:
If it we're for your excellent reviews and write-ups, I wouldn't attempt to do half the things I've done to my own Wee.

Thanks a million!! :D

~Mike

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nodaclu said:
Reverendbiker said:
The reason that I published this install is so that other owners won't have to make the same mistakes we did :wink:
If it we're for your excellent reviews and write-ups, I wouldn't attempt to do half the things I've done to my own Wee.

Thanks a million!! :D

~Mike
Got several more coming--stay tuned. I've learned that many owners would really like to do more of their own wrenching but don't do so because they don't know how. Believe it or not, a friend from my congregation was going to take his cruiser to the dealer's service department to have new handlebar grips installed! I talked him out of it and invited him to my garage, where we had the new Kuryakyn Iso-Grips in place in about 20 minutes. Now he's thinking about changing his own oil! Radical :wink:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Reverendbiker:
Great article - well written, objective, concise .......and pictures!. Doesn't get better than that. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
Doesnt the sprocket create more of a speedo error? Higher rpm, slower speed because of the shorter sprocket?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Vinny said:
Doesnt the sprocket create more of a speedo error? Higher rpm, slower speed because of the shorter sprocket?

I thought the same thing a week or so ago. I was informed then that the 650's speedo is driven off the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Involute said:
Vinny said:

I thought the same thing a week or so ago. I was informed then that the 650's speedo is driven off the front wheel.
You are correcto-mundo, Scott. Gear changes don't affect the number of revolutions made by the front wheel so changing the sprocket on a DL650 won't cause the speedometer to be off. Different story for the DL1000, which drives the speedometer off a sensor at the sprocket cover.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Vinny said:
Higher rpm, slower speed because of the shorter sprocket?
Ok now I understand about the front wheel speedo readings, Now doesnt it cause less mpg with higher rpm, less speed effect? Wouldnt that cost more in the long run burning more gas? May be cause I havent tried it yet I dont understand, But long term issues would make me not want to do this. I dunno maybe I missed something, sorry.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vinny said:
Vinny said:
Higher rpm, slower speed because of the shorter sprocket?
Ok now I understand about the front wheel speedo readings, Now doesnt it cause less mpg with higher rpm, less speed effect? Wouldnt that cost more in the long run burning more gas? May be cause I havent tried it yet I dont understand, But long term issues would make me not want to do this. I dunno maybe I missed something, sorry.
Sorry, but I missed the last half of your question. The 16T front sprocket is actually 1 tooth taller that the stock sprocket, so the engine is actually turning SLOWER at any given MPH. The result is better gas mileage--it looks like I'm getting 3-4 MPG improvement thus far.
The sprocket change that most DL1000 owners are making is to a lower gear ratio, which will return slightly worse economy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok I understand now, I thought the 16t was smaller. My mistake.

I retract my earlier statements.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Rev,

Thanks for the very informative install procedure and great pictures as well.

I was wondering about the 1st gear take off from a dead stop. I'm worried about the additional load on the clutch and if you have to slip the clutch some on take off?

I also would like to lower my 6th gear highway cruise rpm some and was thinking of the same front sprocket swap.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even though this sprocket swap will effectively raise the rear drive ratio it's a pretty small amount; some owners report that they don't feel any loss of acceleration. I can tell that it's not quite as sprightly from a standing start, but it's nowhere near enough to have to slip the clutch. Some owners have even gone up one more tooth (to 17) but that's too much for me; the 16-tooth front seems to be a really nice compromise for street riding.

·
Registered
223 Posts
OK, thanks again for the information.

Cheers!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just traded my 1000 for a 650 for various reasons, one being that's what I originally wanted. First impression was wow, this thing sure wants to be shifted a lot. Second, this motor is screaming at 75mph. Did some searching on threads like this and knew a 16 tooth sprocket is what I needed. Being I ride pretty much street only, I knew this was for me. Well I ordered a JT sprocket on Amazon for $11 shipped, took 20 mins to install and...WOW! Just made this bike perfect. Some claim loss of power, but I noticed none, maybe even more power. Now the lower gears stretch longer, and just made my bike a perfect street Wee. 75mph is now 5500rpm and my fuel milage went up 3mpg. If you're a street only guy, this is a must. To me it would be great off-road too. I love this Wee way more than my Vee now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've swapped a 16-tooth front sprocket into my DL650K7 and really love the change! While I was at it I decided to document the process to aid others interested in making the switch. For a review of the install look here:
Reverendbikers' Home Page
I haven't checked your link, but for me the swap to 16 teeth was a good move. I especially like the lower revs at higher speeds. Take off is still quite easy. I like the extra bit of speed allowed in the lower gears as well.

Only once did I wish for the original 15 or even 14 teeth, starting uphill in sand. I did manage without too much clutch slippage. I don't need to do that often, so the 16 tooth sprocket stays.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I went the other way and dropped to a 14t, it is the best thing I have done to my wee.

It changed the wee from a old tractor to a spritely young thing and my fuel consumption dropped because it was lugging less.

Here in the land down under we need to cover a lot of ground to get anywhere, I ride for fun only, I do not commute and I'm very very happy with the extra RPM's, all my mates ride bigger sports bikes and you can ask any of them who is out in front.

With a 15t on the front the wee will run out of power before it reaches red line, with a 16t you have gone further away, try this test, jump on a 10 speed pushbike and go for a ride remembering what gear you used at each point, now do the same ride in one gear higher and one gear lower, now tell me which was easier on your legs ? the wee's motor is happy to rev, use it.

With a 14t my bike will do 170kph as measured on my GPS, that is quick enough to get me most places I want to go and then when I hit the dirt the 14t makes the wee feel more like a dirt bike than a 57 Chev.

I'm not saying I'm right but if you don't agree you were not listening properly :yikes::green_lol::green_lol: Enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts