StromTrooper banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In the end, I took those troublesome support arms off since it's not like the bag is cantilevered out over thin air. The luggage rack bolts down not 2" from the CG of the Givi plate.

SWMotech doesn't appear use support arms on their mounts, and I usually put less stuff in there than what my 52L Maxia weighs.

·
Registered
2020 Vstrom 1050xt Adventure / 2006 Vstrom 1000
15 Posts
Hello,

I just got my own Vstrom a few days ago, and as many around here I already got some top cases from Givi that I'd like to install on the bike.

If I understand well the discussion, there is not any properly fitting / well designed mount / rack from Givi for the 1050XT?

I see on their website the SR3117 that you guys have been mentioning, but what about the SRA3117?
I had the exact same question. After doing some research, it would appear to me that the SRA-3117 is indeed the newer version that is compatible to the 1050. However, being a little over OCD and liking the idea of using one rack for two different styles of top cases/mounting options, I ended up going with the SW Motech plate. Just got it put on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After contacting Givi support, it appears that the SR3117 is still the least specific rack they have, which allows to mount a monolock or monokey plate on top of it.

The SRA3117 is an aluminium monokey rack+plate all in one. Which means you cannot put a monolock top case on it, and you cannot change the plate if anything breaks.

Personally, as I don't need side bags, I might just go with the generic plate from Givi, which doesn't look as nice, but does the job and is a fair bit cheaper (cf Givi top box install with pix)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very helpful thread here, glad I read it prior to my trip to Vegas to on a "fly and buy" mission. I was going to use my locking Givi top case that I've used on multiple bikes as a checked bag on my one way trip to Vegas and then install this kit and use the Givi as a top case for my ride back to Oregon. Received the adapter kit for @74 bucks from Revzilla and was going to install it "in the field" in the dealer or hotel lot. Then also read TSA's guidance on locking bags- per their guidelines, they are allowed to break the lock on a bag if required for inspection and they don't have a skeleton key. Backed out of the Givi plan and just used a backpack and bungees as a checked bag and strapped it to the back of the bike for the ride home-this worked fine. Installed the adapter kit back at my home in Oregon and glad I didn't try to install this in a hotel parking lot...Anyway, the key learning on leaving everything loose prior to final install is the way to go. I used the Monkey adapter plate from my just sold FJR and it seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Anyway, the key learning on leaving everything loose prior to final install is the way to go. I used the Monkey adapter plate from my just sold FJR and it seems to work just fine.
Aye, That is a pretty good solution, especially for anyone interested in using the brakelight package. While I didn't and don't much care about the aesthetics of my 650, I wanted the nice angular Trekker mount on the back of my 1050XT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I should have read the rest of the thread before posting, but I am still unclear if anyone managed to make it work despite the welded nut or not :)

helpy help?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I should have read the rest of the thread before posting, but I am still unclear if anyone managed to make it work despite the welded nut or not :)

helpy help?

After all that faffing around (and did get it to work for awhile), I just ended up taking those support arms back off so that I could fit my SWMotech Pro removable side racks. If I understand SW Motech's plate setup photos, they don't bother with support arms.

Plus I don't take my Strom into rough terrain with a heavily-loaded Givi box on it, and the Strom tail rack isn't much cantilevered out into empty space anyway. I'll pop my 52L Maxia box on it when my wife's riding pillion, but otherwise I just strap a first aid onto that Trekker mount plate.

Perhaps it's a little silly, but I find the shape and lines of the Trekker mount far more aesthetically pleasing than the stock rack or any of the other Givi or even SWMotech options.

If you're pretty set on including the support arms, I seem to recall that I got those screws in there with a sufficient amount of thread but I needed to loosen things up and tighten everything down evenly and slowly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you're pretty set on including the support arms, I seem to recall that I got those screws in there with a sufficient amount of thread but I needed to loosen things up and tighten everything down evenly and slowly.
The screws that came with the givi kit are 8mm though, while the welded nut is 6 mm. Did you get some longer 6mm to make it work?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The screws that came with the givi kit are 8mm though, while the welded nut is 6 mm. Did you get some longer 6mm to make it work?
Givi must've changed it then, I know they pulled that kit for awhile. Mine shipped with screws that would work with that nut.

Might need to hit up Givi Support.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts