StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Indeed. Designed by Givi, in fact. Has me a bit worried though, since even Suzuki's own accessory website doesn't call out that it fits the XT model.

And it's a whopping expensive bit of kit, but I guess you have to spend the money for what works without having to mess with it.
Does fit the XT...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Of course you were on the phone with him not me, but actually Mark at Givi was searching Stromtrooper for a solution.
To follow-up, Givi Support got back to me since this is over email:

After gathering further information the kit was developed on a 2020 European 1050 which does not have the attachment nut.

Not sure why the European model would be different, but who knows. At least there's a path forward now after an apparently fruitful discussion between Mark and you. Perhaps the key lesson here is when I need to interact with Givi, to get on the phone instead of email.

I'll post up with an update on how well it's working when I get a chance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Try loosening any installed hardware then try to install the top bolts. I had the same issue on my '17 DL650 but was able to get everything to fit. It takes a little wiggling and finesse.
I've tried that, but will try again. I also thought of taking out the metal circle flanges that fit into the individual Suzuki webbing spaces and just bolt the "butterfly"wings down with an open web space. That should give me a little more flexibility to spread the wings out a little more and hopefully not ruin the integrity of the carry piece. Never had this kind of problem with Givi in the past.

·
Vendor
5,714 Posts
I've tried that, but will try again. I also thought of taking out the metal circle flanges that fit into the individual Suzuki webbing spaces and just bolt the "butterfly"wings down with an open web space. That should give me a little more flexibility to spread the wings out a little more and hopefully not ruin the integrity of the carry piece. Never had this kind of problem with Givi in the past.
Based on what AKStrom stated above the misalignment would be due to the presence of the welded nut. This thread should give all you need to get a refund from the seller. Or at least you know the mounting system or the bike will require modification to get it to work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Based on what AKStrom stated above the misalignment would be due to the presence of the welded nut. This thread should give all you need to get a refund from the seller. Or at least you know the mounting system or the bike will require modification to get it to work.
richlandrick and AKStrom - Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Try loosening any installed hardware then try to install the top bolts. I had the same issue on my '17 DL650 but was able to get everything to fit. It takes a little wiggling and finesse.
With a bunch of dinking around and assembling it so loose it almost falls apart, I've got it put together. I'm not happy with the mere 1-2 threads sticking out for the bolts securing the end of the mounting arms to the Suzuki side-luggage mounts, and may yet put in a pair of longer 10mm bolts for peace of mind. And if I have to do it again, I'm totally taking it all apart and assembling it upside and in reverse order starting with the mounting plate. Way too much fiddling around with taping a washer and a nut into the open end of the 10mm box wrench to keep them in the correct position under the screw. Much easier to hold the screw in place and turn a nut by hand until it's just barely holding together.

Now that I've got it all put together, of course, I think there's something wrong with the M8 plate as it won't lock any of my Monokey (can't keep them straight) cases in place. But that's not the fault of the SR3117 kit, which seems to work well enough after some faffing about.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good to know. Guess I'm the batter up for try #2. If I can get all that loosened up and get that rack aligned and M7 attached I'll be in good shape as well.

·
Vendor
5,714 Posts
Well I'm glad those that got it to work did, but based on the response from Givi unless I had the European spec bike it was designed for I would not order that kit.

If Givi does not make a US spec mount, and people want it, I could make a much simpler lower profile (i.e., better looking) mount using the standard Givi plate to case mounting hardware. I will not name names but I and many others have been using a similar kit for over six years.

Edit: And strangely, although y'all have the two piece split top, the SR3117 in some of Givi pictures has a single piece top like I am imagining. Compare this one to what you guys have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I'm glad those that got it to work did, but based on the response from Givi unless I had the European spec bike it was designed for I would not order that kit.

If Givi does not make a US spec mount, and people want it, I could make a much simpler lower profile (i.e., better looking) mount using the standard Givi plate to case mounting hardware. I will not name names but I and many others have been using a similar kit for over six years.

Edit: And strangely, although y'all have the two piece split top, the SR3117 in some of Givi pictures has a single piece top like I am imagining. Compare this one to what you guys have.

Wish I had seen that one before getting the split top. I'm still going to try to make this work and if not then send it back. I also am trying to mount the side racks for my exiting cans and have to change out the 1050XT frame cover with the 1050 frame cover. All ready ordered and we will have to see how that works out. I have Trekker Outback cans and just didn't want the expense of new cans. May have to bite the bullet if none of this works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

The SR3117 kit is just the bracketry for the plate, so the top isn’t split. They’ve clearly changed the M8 plate around a bit though as I’ve seen several generations of the design for that. I kind of prefer the aesthetics of the m8 plate in that sr3117 link you posted. Mine has a few more but smaller holes and Trekker branding.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Interestingly I got a call from Mark at Givi USA a couple of days ago regarding this issue. Apparently he was engaged on this issue and saw that I'd ordered the part in the past. I took the following pics of my install on my XTA

·
Registered
173 Posts
Finally have top case installed. It ain't pretty, but it's solid. You were right AKStrom, what I didn't have before was 6 shots of vodka before I attempted install. A lot of loosening and pulling got the wings at an angle that I could install the M7 Givi top plate. Dealer said my replacement 1050 regular frame cover panels are in, so the next project is to install my GIVI Cam side racks. That may take 6+ shots to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Interestingly I got a call from Mark at Givi USA a couple of days ago regarding this issue. Apparently he was engaged on this issue and saw that I'd ordered the part in the past. I took the following pics of my install on my XTA
Aha! Included in the email from Givi, but trimmed out of my response here, was those exact photos. They'd mentioned that someone had successfully ordered that part back in August and got it to work.

As @richlandrick suggested, I too recommend waiting for Givi to sort out the difference in US vs. Euro models or order a Givi-compatible mount from someone else that has bracketry that fits the US model. In light of all this, even though I got the SR3117 kit to fit, I'll opt for someone else's side case mounts with Givi-compatible bits attached.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Aha! Included in the email from Givi, but trimmed out of my response here, was those exact photos. They'd mentioned that someone had successfully ordered that part back in August and got it to work.

As @richlandrick suggested, I too recommend waiting for Givi to sort out the difference in US vs. Euro models or order a Givi-compatible mount from someone else that has bracketry that fits the US model. In light of all this, even though I got the SR3117 kit to fit, I'll opt for someone else's side case mounts with Givi-compatible bits attached.
I completed the GIVI side rack mount for my Trekker Outback cases on my 1050XT No problems with it at all after I installed the 1050 Regular side panels vs the 1050XT panels (at $65 from Suzuki). The side mount rack kit included a longer bolt for the hole that attached the side case rack and the SR 3117 top case support mount. Believe it or not, it resulted in more than enough inner bolt to hang the top case rack support and tighten down. I'm not buying the idea that GIVI did not take into account Suzuki welded nuts. The install of the side rack did not include any extra nuts and all bolted locations relied on the Suzuki welded nuts for installation. Very simple side case install that ended up fitting great and improved my top case mount.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Additional follow-up on this, it looks like Givi has pulled the related side-case mounts for the 1050XT and are re-designing that. I don't see them listed for sale anywhere anymore, and the Givi USA website now lists them as being in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
2020 1050XT
311 Posts
March 2021 I just got Givi side-case mounts from Italy. Shipped fast, about a week, and cost about $250. I notched the 1050 XT side frame cover panels to fit the Givi mounts using a hack saw. It was quick, easy, and doesn’t look bad. I cut just enough out to fit the brackets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I just got my own Vstrom a few days ago, and as many around here I already got some top cases from Givi that I'd like to install on the bike.

If I understand well the discussion, there is not any properly fitting / well designed mount / rack from Givi for the 1050XT?

I see on their website the SR3117 that you guys have been mentioning, but what about the SRA3117?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts