StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All. Received my Givi SR3117 adapter kit for the topcase plate mounting. As is typical for my relationship with Givi bits, the install isn't going exactly according to plan and there's parts on the bike that complicate the install process. In my case, the very first step has a nut that the kit and instructions don't account for and I may need to get the power tools out to remove once it's warm enough to work out in the big shop.

If anyone else has attempted the SR3117 install yet, are there any other gotchas I should be aware of?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the bolt you can't remove?

Are you referring to the thread hole on the bike's rear sub-frame? M6 x 1 threads?
Correct.

Givi wasn't expecting to see a threaded nut welded to the frame tab at the rear of the bag mount. Apparently they built the SR3117 for the DL1050 non-XT version that they claim lacks the nut welded to that frame tab. (The plastic bag mount bracket has been removed for clarity)

Frame tab location with plastic mounting bracket removed:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I installed the SR3117 on my 1050 XT without any problem until ..... The top mount top plate (M7) holes don't line up to the GIVI rack. I can get two on one side to align, but then the other two are off. I am trying to determine from photos, if the Suzuki rear baggage holder is the same for the 1050XT and the 1050 Base model. From photos they look the same, but apparently not. If anyone has a Standard 1050, I could use a top view photo of the Suzuki rear rack so I can compare the two.

For the top case rack mount bolt and nut for the above presentation, I screwed the GIVI bolt into the existing Suzuki welded nut, installed the GIVI top rack mounting bracket on the backside of the welded nut and bolt and tightened with the the GIVI supplied nut. That was as per instructions from GIVI.

I'm trying to install my GIVI side case rack on the 1050XT, but had to order 1050 frame covers because the standard 1050 does not have the plastic case mounts. It appears that everything else is the same and I can easily mount and use my existing GIVI Treker Outback side cases. The Standard1050 side frame covers were $65 for both from Suzuki.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the SR3117 on my 1050 XT without any problem until ..... The top mount top plate (M7) holes don't line up to the GIVI rack. I can get two on one side to align, but then the other two are off. I am trying to determine from photos, if the Suzuki rear baggage holder is the same for the 1050XT and the 1050 Base model. From photos they look the same, but apparently not. If anyone has a Standard 1050, I could use a top view photo of the Suzuki rear rack so I can compare the two.

For the top case rack mount bolt and nut for the above presentation, I screwed the GIVI bolt into the existing Suzuki welded nut, installed the GIVI top rack mounting bracket on the backside of the welded nut and bolt and tightened with the the GIVI supplied nut. That was as per instructions from GIVI.

I'm trying to install my GIVI side case rack on the 1050XT, but had to order 1050 frame covers because the standard 1050 does not have the plastic case mounts. It appears that everything else is the same and I can easily mount and use my existing GIVI Treker Outback side cases. The Standard1050 side frame covers were $65 for both from Suzuki.
Interestingly, Givi has responded that they do not support the 1050XT (or as Givi refers to them, the 'X' model), but only the base 1050 model that is listed.

Are you mounting the brackets inboard or outwards of the welded tab? I could see how the brackets would not line up, as the diagram indicates that the bracket should go where the nut is on the X models, behind the tab. I'll poke at this some more later today after work and report back.

·
Vendor
5,714 Posts
Something is amiss. As far as I know every DL1000 since 2014 and every DL650 XT or not since 2017 has had that same welded nut on the back side of that mount. I know this because our saddle bag guards depend on that nut being there and never has there been a case when it wasn't.

@AKStrom, it sounds like you have the XT version. Is that correct?

If so, can someone with a non-XT base model post a photo of that same mounting point on their bike? It would really be helpful. If AKstrom's is a base model then a pic of the XT version.

Unfortunately it seems the parts diagrams have not been released for the 2020 DL1050 so I can't just check parts numbers.

Another possibility is since the bar mounts on the back side of the mount that the bolt (4) simply screws into the hole, extends past the welded nut and the bar is fastened to the bolt extended out from the welded nut with the new nut (11) in the picture. The more I stare at the photo the more that looks possible.

·
Vendor
5,714 Posts
Well then I don't think there is anything unusual about the presence of the welded nut. That leads to two thoughts. As above, the bolt simply threads into the hole, through the welded nut, and extends out the back for mounting the arm, or ... the pre-production model Givi used to model parts didn't have the welded nut there or was overlooked. If teh latter were teh case it seems it would have been discovered by now.

I suggest threading the bolt in and determining if the arm can be bolted to the bolt extending through the nut as shown in the instructions. Might be too short, might be perfect.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Another possibility is since the bar mounts on the back side of the mount that the bolt (4) simply screws into the hole, extends past the welded nut and the bar is fastened to the bolt extended out from the welded nut with the new nut (11) in the picture. The more I stare at the photo the more that looks possible".

Thats exactly how the support installs on the XT. If I understand your question AKStrom, it mounts on the inboard of the lower hole. If you use the GIVI screw, it screws in beyond the welded nut and you hang the support on that extended portion of the bolt inboard and then use the GIVI nut to tighten down the bracket support. The only problem I have is after all of the metal rack installed, none of the plastic top case parts M7 or any other recommended plastics fit to the metal rack. I think it is because the Suzuki 1050XT base is different from the standard 1050 base and the metal rack pieces are at different angles. Pictures of each enclosed for comparison. They look the same, but something must be different concerning the position of the holes in the grill structure that are used to install the rack components. If anyone has a 1050 regular, it would sure help to get a top view picture of this rack that I can compare to my XT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Another possibility is since the bar mounts on the back side of the mount that the bolt (4) simply screws into the hole, extends past the welded nut and the bar is fastened to the bolt extended out from the welded nut with the new nut (11) in the picture. The more I stare at the photo the more that looks possible".

Thats exactly how the support installs on the XT. If I understand your question AKStrom, it mounts on the inboard of the lower hole. If you use the GIVI screw, it screws in beyond the welded nut and you hang the support on that extended portion of the bolt inboard and then use the GIVI nut to tighten down the bracket support. .
I'll have to take another look at that. The m6 didn't have enough length to extend past the welded nut with the listed space on the bolt.

Unfortunately, after identifying that they don't actually list the 1050XT, Givi Support has effectively told me to pound sand since the 1050XT is not listed as a supported model.

·
Registered
173 Posts
These are the holes (circled)
that don't matchup to the M7 top case mount. If you get a different result, let me know so I can figure if I did something wrong or if the Suzuki 1050 XT plate is the cause. If this is the best I can do, I'll drill my own installation holes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picture worth a thousand words. I still have a couple of cranks yet to do on the nut. This is on 1050 XT RACK SR3117
Makes sense. Have to lose the spacer to make that work. I'm starting to wonder if the bracket is actually supported to go in where the rectangular plastic washer holder goes between the luggage mount and the subframe tab.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'll have to take another look at that. The m6 didn't have enough length to extend past the welded nut with the listed space on the bolt.

Unfortunately, after identifying that they don't actually list the 1050XT, Givi Support has effectively told me to pound sand since the 1050XT is not listed as a supported model.
Sorry to hear that about GIVI. I have Trekker Outback side cases and top case that I want to move back and forth between my 1050XT and 650XT. GIVI is not making it easy. As I said before, I ordered the 1050 Regular cover panels for $65 so that I can attempt to hang the GIVI racks for the side cases. Hopefully that works out easier than the top case rack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The genuine Suzuki top box mounts fit just fine. I had assumed that Givi supplied those to Suzuki, but perhaps not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The genuine Suzuki top box mounts fit just fine. I had assumed that Givi supplied those to Suzuki, but perhaps not.
Indeed. Designed by Givi, in fact. Has me a bit worried though, since even Suzuki's own accessory website doesn't call out that it fits the XT model.

And it's a whopping expensive bit of kit, but I guess you have to spend the money for what works without having to mess with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear that about GIVI. I have Trekker Outback side cases and top case that I want to move back and forth between my 1050XT and 650XT. GIVI is not making it easy. As I said before, I ordered the 1050 Regular cover panels for $65 so that I can attempt to hang the GIVI racks for the side cases. Hopefully that works out easier than the top case rack.
I'm thinking about just eating the cost of the Givi supports. selling the M8 aluminum plate, and buying the SW-Motech top plate with Givi Adapters and then using the detachable SW-Motech luggage racks also with Givi adapters. The only reason Givi needs the supports is because of how they mount the generic plate to the existing tail rack, and SW-Motech apparently doesn't require that. (I have a lot of Givi stuff around the house from 20 years of commuting.)

Givi's Customer Support has not been great on this. It's been timely, which I don't usually expect from an Italian company, but the answers haven't really indicated that they care about the details.

·
Vendor
5,714 Posts
Of course you were on the phone with him not me, but actually Mark at Givi was searching Stromtrooper for a solution, saw that I had responded and called me since we (my wife and I) talk with him often. We talked theories about what might be going on, I said I would try to help and get back to him with what ever we found out. So I kinda think you might have misinterpreted his intent. When I talked to him he was clearly trying to help.

Back to the problem.

To my knowledge there is no difference between the XT and the base model in area and parts involved. Does anyone see a difference between the two models with regard to the rack or subframe? it looks exactly the same as any DL1000 since 2014 to me except for color.

@AKStrom where did you buy it? Will they not take it back?

@Inpitt/Mac50 was it the width or length that didn't seem to match?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Of course you were on the phone with him not me, but actually Mark at Givi was searching Stromtrooper for a solution, saw that I had responded and called me since we (my wife and I) talk with him often. We talked theories about what might be going on, I said I would try to help and get back to him with what ever we found out. So I kinda think you might have misinterpreted his intent. When I talked to him he was clearly trying to help.

Back to the problem.

To my knowledge there is no difference between the XT and the base model in area and parts involved. Does anyone see a difference between the two models with regard to the rack or subframe? it looks exactly the same as any DL1000 since 2014 to me except for color.

@AKStrom where did you buy it? Will they not take it back?

@Inpitt/Mac50 was it the width or length that didn't seem to match?
The green represents the hole matchup of the M7 mounting plate to the SR3117 Rack holes. For instance, I can match the two holes on the right of my photo (top and bottom holes) with the M7
, but then barely can see the left side of the top and bottom hole on the left . It appears that the angle of the two "butterfly" wing looking plates do not angle out enough from top to bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Try loosening any installed hardware then try to install the top bolts. I had the same issue on my '17 DL650 but was able to get everything to fit. It takes a little wiggling and finesse.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts