StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike a couple years, I bought it used. It has about 53k on it now and I am curious; what do I need to inspect at this point?

I already know about spark plugs, air filter, oil, filter, plug wires, coolant, VALVES, fuel filter. Synchronize throttle bodies.

I'm mainly curious about the axle bearings and anything else that isn't quite so obvious. There may be a post that covers everything, I'm not sure.

Mainly I just want it running as good as I can to prevent a breakdown.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I think the steering bearing is an important one at this point to have a nice handling Vstrom.

Reactions: talonstrom72

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Wheel bearings can be checked when you change tires. Stuff like swing arm bearings and the bearings in the shock area could stand a look at.
Depends on how much bad weather you've been riding in.
A friend that does cross country travel had the wheel bearings get bad traveling through the rain storm remnants of some of the hurricanes.
Too bad they use strange nuts on the swing arm and make it more difficult to disassemble. The shock and the linkage isn't difficult to remove.
I need to do mine but I've got a 100K miles. The steering bearings do need attending too.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
more

Might find the controls work more smoothly if you disassemble and grease the hand and foot lever pivots. Flush the brake and clutch fluid as well.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
How about compression? Supposed to be within a few psi of each other. Usually around 190 psi. If it uses oil could be rings or valve guide seals.

Wheel and shock linkage bearings too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts