StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I figured with the new strom I needed hand guards (oem suzuki).

Things couldn't have gone smoother. Got the clutch side all done in a couple minutes. Got the brake side just about done until I went to put the final screw in. The long screw they provide that screws through the bar end weight and into the handlebars seems to be stripped on the inside. This is weird because I just took the shorter screw out of there a couple minutes earlier and it didn't feel like there was any issues.

I can shove the whole longer screw right inside the bars with no resistance on the inside. Looking in I can see the "threaded" hole here it is supposed to go but it just slides right through with no resistance.

Any idea on how to resolve this?

The not so bright idea is to just get a slightly "thicker" screw and force it in there. Just has to hold things in place :)

Darryl

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, still a little confused though.

When I look inside the bar end now about 6 inches in I see a silver metal round thing that the screw apparently goes into. I'm assuming that the expander "nut" everybody is referring to is behind that piece and I somehow have to fish it out?

Is that correct?

Darryl

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had to use a magnet tool to retrieve it. I found it easier to assemble the screw, nut, and rubber compression fitting together and slide the whole thing in as an assembly and then tighten.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like I'm going fishing :)

I'll probably do the same thing. Just pull it all out and start fresh.

And here I thought I was doing so well even with the crap instructions that came with the guards :)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You are not supposed to unscrew it all the way... You loosen the bar end weight screw, then pull the whole apparatus (expander, weight and screw) out as one piece... When putting things back just reverse the proceedure using the longer screw... When you said you thought the expander/screw was stripped, are you sure it just wasn't the expander spinning inside the handlebar?...

Try a coat hanger or similar to fish it out....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Making progress.

Used a coat hanger with a little hook on the end to fish out the expander bolt. The only thing I haven't managed to get out is the nut and washer that go on the other side of the expander bolt (I'm assuming the expander bolt is the round rubber thing that expands as it gets compressed).

I don't see them anywhere so I think I'm going to have to get a little magnet of some sort and use that. They may have slipped down past the bend in the bars.

Darryl

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Hey Darryl,
Are you strong enough to tip the bike to the side and stand it back up?

If so, then have your lady, or other helper, catch them when they come out and stand it back up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear you had problems with the hand guards, but I am happy I am not the only person who had the same issue.

The instructions that came with those $%!#$ OEM handguards SUCK! There was NO mention that the bolt would release and get LOST in the handlebars, once you remove the "screw"... which is what the instructions say... it doesn't say "loosen"!

You don't want to know how long it took me to get the "rubber" piece out, than the bolt. I had to use crazy glue to get the rubber piece back together after I hacked it to pieces with a screw driver!!!

LOL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I haven't been that bad off but I totally agree about the instructions. It would have been so much better if they stated to only loosen the screw!!

I got the rubber piece out with a coat hanger and didn't damage it at all so we're good there.

I did try tipping the bike over and shaking it a little to see if the screw would fall out but no go. I don't have anything with a magnet on the end handy so will have to run out and get something.

And here I thought the handguard install was going to be a piece of cake :)

Darryl

I'm very sorry to hear you had problems with the hand guards, but I am happy I am not the only person who had the same issue.

The instructions that came with those $%!#$ OEM handguards SUCK! There was NO mention that the bolt would release and get LOST in the handlebars, once you remove the "screw"... which is what the instructions say... it doesn't say "loosen"!

You don't want to know how long it took me to get the "rubber" piece out, than the bolt. I had to use crazy glue to get the rubber piece back together after I hacked it to pieces with a screw driver!!!

LOL!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yep don't worry, you're not the person who invented unscrewing the bar end screw all the way and losing pieces inside the handlebar tube. Lots of us have done it and yep the instructions stink in that regard - although in fairness the service manual is pretty complete with instructions and diagrams. Too bad most of us buy hand guards before buying the service manual.

There are many ways to get the small nut parts out but what we did up here at the home was take both bar ends off and hooked up a garden hose to one end of the handlebar tube and turned the water on full force. After some gurgling the pieces got spat out. Then by blowing on one end of of the handlebar tube we got most of the water out. We shoved some paper towels into the tube but didn't get them all the way through, and some water or muck is still in the tube even today and you can hear it sloshing around when flicking the bike into and out of turns. In hindsight I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this particular removal technique since it makes for a very poor hydraulic steering system. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
126 Posts
LOL!

This thread should be a "sticky"... so people who install these OEM guards, won't get "stuck" (sticky - stuck, pun intended!).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 2 complete sets of stock bar ends with with the bolt and rubber expanding part and nut if anyone needs it..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Reading your method, it seems to me that you could do the same thing with air (maybe) or by passing a length of wire through the bar and dragging a bit of rag through.

Glenn

Yep don't worry, you're not the person who invented unscrewing the bar end screw all the way and losing pieces inside the handlebar tube. Lots of us have done it and yep the instructions stink in that regard - although in fairness the service manual is pretty complete with instructions and diagrams. Too bad most of us buy hand guards before buying the service manual.

There are many ways to get the small nut parts out but what we did up here at the home was take both bar ends off and hooked up a garden hose to one end of the handlebar tube and turned the water on full force. After some gurgling the pieces got spat out. Then by blowing on one end of of the handlebar tube we got most of the water out. We shoved some paper towels into the tube but didn't get them all the way through, and some water or muck is still in the tube even today and you can hear it sloshing around when flicking the bike into and out of turns. In hindsight I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this particular removal technique since it makes for a very poor hydraulic steering system. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOL - am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious to tip the whole bike sideways to get that nut out? Just undo the 4 bolts holding the bars on, and then tilt the bars sideways to get the nut out. This is like trying to tip my house sideways to get the remote out from under the couch.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The perfect tool for getting stuff out of the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
LOL - am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious to tip the whole bike sideways to get that nut out? Just undo the 4 bolts holding the bars on, and then tilt the bars sideways to get the nut out. This is like trying to tip my house sideways to get the remote out from under the couch.
If you are built for it, then this is the fastest easiest way to do it.
If your physical attributes are more along fast, nimble, etc. than hurking then do it another way.

If you are built like me, then it's super simple.

I however, have never had to employ this method...

...yet...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have 2 complete sets of stock bar ends with with the bolt and rubber expanding part and nut if anyone needs it..
That is a VERY kind offer Sir! I wish more people in this world were like you! It would be a much better place for sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts