StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ,

was trying to add new handlebar guards to my dl650a 2008 . When I unscrew handlebar endings (long screw) and try to fix - screw new longer endings (due handlebar guards) , it looks an internal nut inside handlebars tube (which is responsible for fixing long screw for handlebar endings) somehow break off / fall off inside of the tube - so I can't fix my long screw for handlebar endings anymore inside tube of handlebar . Any suggestion how to fix such stupid problem inside tube of my handlebars ?

Thanks a lot for suggestion

Gregor

·
Registered
981 Posts
Unscrew the other side. But this time do it properly. Just unscrew it two or three turns, hit the screw head with the back of a screwdriver or small hammer, and pull/wiggle the whole assembly out.

Then bring your Mk1 mouth to the handlebar end and exhale with all your might. The nut will come shooting out of the other end. (Or just give it a moderate puff and the nut will fall out the other end - less spectacular but the same end result.)

If the bar weight assembly that came out as a whole contains more parts than what you removed in the first place, then take a look at the parts fiche for your bike. Something like this:

Part #2 will tell you how all the pieces fit together. Essentially nut #8 will compress rubber piece #7. That rubber piece expands and locks the assembly in the handlebar. If you unscrewed the bolt #3 completely, then it could be that at least #7 but possibly anything from #4 to #8 is still stuck in the handlebar. Get a piece of stiff wire and you might be able to push it out from the other side. Or fish it out with some piece of metal with a small hook at the end.

·
Registered
2004 DL1000
58 Posts
I learned this the hard way as well. I used a piece of steel wire to fish the nut back into the rubber part and then VERY carefully put the screw back in.

If that doesn't work (make sure you swear a lot, seems to help), try Backpacker's first solution.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been there too. Should be a better design to not allow screw to back completely out.
Fished it out with coat hanger and wadded up tape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, thanks for giving me idea how to fish out expander that was stuck inside the handlebar.
I made hook from coat hanger and took it out on a first try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts