Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been months if not more than a year since I've been on this site or posted anything, but I'm still riding!!

Anyways, after trying and planning to ride to Alaska for the last 3 years, it's actually looking like it's finally going to happen!

So my question is kind of general, and I have searched all over the internet for help, and it's pretty unanimous that June into July is the best time of year to ride to Alaska. This year getting back to a more normal wet winter in the PNW I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for this summer? The deal is that if we do it it will either be the first 3 weeks of June, or the first 3 weeks of July, can not be in between as I have to be home for the last week of June.

Currently we are planning on July, thinking that we'll be better off this year since it's been a wetter and snowier year up there, and this will give that some time to "clear" up.

Anyways, can any of you Alaska residents see the future and help me out?

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
We did the the first three weeks of June last year tho only a little Alaska ( Hyder ) on the bikes ...was more BC..the further along you get the greater the heat and the fire risk.....even in June the heat in BC was atrocious

GF and I did ALaska in July 2 years ago and got very lucky with the weather - the Kenai was clear, both Wrangell St Elias and Denali we got to see the peaks.

There was a ton of wildlife along the roads in July ...lost count of black bear and griz plus many moose in the ponds.

Given the heat lately and the long riding days you get in June...I'd go in June.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Glad to see you're still around, and planning the trip.

I would pick the July option. Did it 3 years ago, left on the 21st of June, gone for 3 weeks as well. Weather was fantastic, I think we had about 8 hours of rain the entire trip. And I also think you'll be better off with snow being cleared out as well.

Looking forward to hearing about it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wish I could remember who it was, but someone on this forum advised me to make my trip earlier in the summer.

So last year I departed Utah heading for Alaska on April 27th. It was chilly going up, there was ice on the haul road, and ice chunks on the rivers.

But, when I started back south 13 days later and everything was warm, green and beautiful.

The last couple of days I was in Fairbanks the skeeters were starting to get bad, real bad... As I went south they were less of a bother. I would hate to be in Fairbanks in June.

If I go again I'll likely use the same time frame.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! We're still discussing the dates right now.

I think no matter what we're going to get into bad bugs, so I'm not going to worry too much about that.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Thanks for the replies! We're still discussing the dates right now.

I think no matter what we're going to get into bad bugs, so I'm not going to worry too much about that.
You might do well to spend some time worrying about it.
If you do go in June/July you will want a head net, industrial strength deet bug spray, and permathrin treated clothing.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Hmmm...
What's worse, ice blocks or mosquitos???
I'm starting to like 2mstone's time frame. Unfortunately, I can't leave until mid July.

So, maybe they'll be well fed by the time I get there, (if I go).

Plan A is to end up in Seattle, but my son may not still be there, then, in which case Plan B is to visit an old friend in Juneau. Either plan is good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My experience in Alaska -4 trips- is that for both bugs and weather, July - August is better than June-July.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You forgot about the ice blocks in the road all ready?
you left with a 650 and returned with 1000.
Haha... win win! :grin2:

Either plan is good! :thumbup:
That right there ^^.

Lots of folks go on lots of different time frames, as long as you're prepared and know what you are getting into its all good!
Just know that the skeeters can be bad...and I mean BAD! If you're not prepared they might just grab you by the shoulders and drag you off to skeeter hell....

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Be ready for anything. The year I worked there, mid-July and August were the best. A friend who summers in Sitka said that last year June was great, and it rained the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You might do well to spend some time worrying about it.
If you do go in June/July you will want a head net, industrial strength deet bug spray, and permathrin treated clothing.
Sorry, I meant that I'm not going to let the bugs deter us. We'll definitely be worried about it as far as planning is concerned. We will be packing proper means of dealing with the bugs.

Unfortunately for us We're limited to which time frames work because of the three of us trying to align schedules.

Thanks again for all the input, and really sounds like it's year to year and things can change drastically!!

Either way I will do my best at putting together our trip with information and pictures.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What maps did you guys bring along? I'm already ordering the Milepost for this year, and going to pick up an Alaskan Gazetteer, but I'm struggling on what kind of a map or atlas to get for Canada?:confused:

I basically need just western Canada, BC and Yukon are where we'll be riding through.

Thanks! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts