StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FJR1300. It is absolutely, in my opinion, an astounding motorcycle. I am, however, considering replacing it with a V-Strom 650. Most of my riding is commuting around town with a 500 mile round trip about twice a year. I can only own one at a time; so, after all of the years of gaining interest in V-Stroms, I "may" take the plunge. I have two questions.

1) Other than the normal things for which one looks when buying a used motorcycle, are there any "V-Strom specific" things for which I should look?

2) Unfortunately, being in Montana, these don't abound. Further unfortunately, the two I'm considering are both at dealers. Rats! Having said that, here are the two I am considering. For the money they are asking, which would you choose and why?

Bike 1) (This bike has no cases/bags)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
$4,995 Sale Price, was $5995
Miles:6,600
Color:pearl Bracing White

Bike 2) This bike does have the Adventure cases
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Price $6,995
Miles:2,019
Color:Metallic Thunder Gray

Input on both questions would be greatly appreciated. Both of these dealers are out of town and I will be traveling for military reasons this week and should be looking at and driving both on Friday.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm probably not qualified to give you advice on which of the two bikes to purchase, as I'm a brand new V-Strom owner myself. All I can really offer on that front is that having the cases included is not nothing. I'm shopping for cases for my new '17 XT, and I'm finding the cost to be kind of staggering.

The real reason I wanted to chime in is that I formerly rode a Honda ST1300, which is somewhat similar to the FJR. Objectively, I think the FJR is a better bike than the ST. Lighter, faster, and just generally more refined. But the ST is similar enough to be able to speak to difference between a full-on sport tourer and the V-Strom.

I just got the V-Strom a week ago, and I'm blown away. I love it. It's light, nimble, plenty fast enough for me, and just a joy to ride. I wish I'd have bought one years ago.

So, all of this is simply to say...if you're on the fence about buying one (either one), I'd say go for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
They both look like good choices, for me the bags would seal the deal. I ride with mine on every day. It just makes it so much easier to pick up things and go. Really nice never having to ride with a backpack on ever. I still carry the back pack, but it goes in the Givi top box. I have a spare helmet in one of the side bags and room for a run to the store is always handy.

Mine is a 2005, so I won't be much use on the things to look for, but the engines seem to be really tough and the bikes run. I suspect the new ones are much more refined rides then my old beast.

I am enjoying it any way.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
did you check here, cycletrader?

are you in a hurry?

here is a cross section:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/389905-2012-650-adventure-only-924-miles.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/378985-2013-dl650-sale.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/386818-2013-dl-650-sale.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/382906-sale-2015-dl650-xt.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/383250-2013-vstrom-650-va-tn.html

The mileage of both bikes don't matter since its so low. The one with the cases is too expensive unless it has a lot of other really useful improvements. Too expensive. You can buy a new leftover 2014 DL1000 for that price.

The other one is in the ballpark, as compared to the ones offered here. Since you ride mostly local you are not in urgent need for cases. Watch here for a set of used racks and cases. Or do like I did, get quick release racks (watch here for SW Motech or GIVI) and bolt a pair of 1550 pelicans to them (used or knock off versions of the same). You can use those for your trips. And add a large GIVI box to the back that is always on, your trunk for local riding. That will cost you maybe 1k or less if you find some good used deals. That leaves you 1k to make it a fantastic mount after upgrading the suspension, front brakes, windscreen (Givi Airflow and those little winglets are what works well), seat possibly ... you will get lots of ideas here.

Good Luck!

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Bike with bags......no brainer IMHO, I am sure it likely also has other add ons as well over the other.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Based on your description of your typical riding habits, I'd probably get the stripped one. You can get a lot of accessories for two grand, and spending less up front allows you to spend less overall as you get the accessories you need. If your longest rides are two overnights in a year, I question if you need expensive panniers or panniers at all. Unless you are going 250 miles away and camping for several days. Even so, hard side panniers can be found for $500 or less. Still have $1,500 to go!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Had more sport fours than anything in over 50 years of riding.Main means of travel since 1973 and sometimes go weeks with out being in a car/truck. My little 011 DL650 is the best do anything bike I ever owned of over 30. Not good looking at all :grin2:but cute to me all dirty in a pack mule kind of way. My big boxes are used often and hold so much. Wish I had owned this bike back when going 96 miles round trip to work at IBM machine floor for 27 years. Go to red line and they have so much more power than you would dream. If you have a 32 or more inseam flat foot is easy and lots lower them that are on the short side.My old coot bunch that take one long trip a year and lots of two or more day/camp nights have more V-stroms in the stable than any.We all have at least two bikes and even the BMW owners use the strom as the long trip bike.Most all of us have been to Alaska at least once on them.They are that good.:wink2:Have fun and let us know/see the one you pick.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Based on your description of your typical riding habits, I'd probably get the stripped one. You can get a lot of accessories for two grand, and spending less up front allows you to spend less overall as you get the accessories you need. If your longest rides are two overnights in a year, I question if you need expensive panniers or panniers at all. Unless you are going 250 miles away and camping for several days. Even so, hard side panniers can be found for $500 or less. Still have $1,500 to go!
+1. You are absolutely right.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
+2. I am with John and Rick.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As for being in Montana or anywhere in the USA a bike can be shipped from one coast to the next for about $600 so that really opens up some possibilities for finding even a new leftover for about the same money + have a bike with warranty even if its highly unlikely you'd ever need it.

I was hot for a DL650 Adventure until I saw the luggage in person. One case is smaller than the other to miss the exhaust and keep the outside width of the cases symmetrical. It looks stupid and functions IMHO even worse. Another thing manufacturers do to keep the cases tucked in close to the bike they do an exhaust cutout eliminating about 25% of the case interior. Cases look nice from a side view but open them up and see how much space is lost. While not a deal breaker sometimes every cu/in in needed.

I ended up buy in a DL w/o cases and added HT pannier racks that are and equal distance off the centerline of the bike so I can mount identical cases on the racks and everything is symmetrical. Sure I gain about 2 or 3 inches in width but I'm not riding single track so it the extra width doesn't matter too me.

I paid $300 for my HT pannier racks and use Pelican 1550's for cases. The whole thing was about $500 and I have a set of very durable, very functional, very dust and waterproof luggage. Something the factory stuff is not.

·
Vendor
4,894 Posts
For $2,000 you can get much better side bags a trunk, all the farkles you need to make the bike fit you ergonomically including a new seat and a bunch of other V-Strom essentials.

For example ALL THIS IS LESS THAN $2k. Seat concepts seat, Shad SH-36 sides cases and trunks, givi tank-lock tank bags, auxiliary lights, mirror extenders, airflow windscreen, foot peg and control lowering kit, larger bolt on side stand foot, fork brace, fender risers (for off road work), the skid pan of your choice, crash bars, Oxford heated grips, and a cheeseburger and fries for the difference.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
For $2,000 you can get much better side bags a trunk, all the farkles you need to make the bike fit you ergonomically including a new seat and a bunch of other V-Strom essentials.

For example ALL THIS IS LESS THAN $2k. Seat concepts seat, Shad SH-36 sides cases and trunks, givi tank-lock tank bags, auxiliary lights, mirror extenders, airflow windscreen, foot peg and control lowering kit, larger bolt on side stand foot, fork brace, fender risers (for off road work), the skid pan of your choice, crash bars, Oxford heated grips, and a cheeseburger and fries for the difference.
Wow. Like just wow. See, and a guy could have all the fun of adding new toys to the toy. Get the cheaper one and add as desired. I love cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am onboard for Bike 1. The miles are low and its 2k cheaper. Unless there is some glaring cosmetic or mechanical issue, I'd be about it.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everbody seems to be of the same opinion as me. The premium for the $2K more expensive one is lost based on what I can buy on the market. Some responses have elicited another question for me. If one's local dealer does not have any of these leftover prior year models, how does one locate them without calling every dealer for the surrounding 1000 miles? At times, people on this forum and others reference them as though they are quite common. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Everbody seems to be of the same opinion as me. The premium for the $2K more expensive one is lost based on what I can buy on the market. Some responses have elicited another question for me. If one's local dealer does not have any of these leftover prior year models, how does one locate them without calling every dealer for the surrounding 1000 miles? At times, people on this forum and others reference them as though they are quite common. Thanks in advance.
Dealers will often post on Craigslist or Cycle Trader. This is a great way to check out inventory from shops from all over

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would check craig's list. No point in paying dealer mark up.
I agree with this, strongly. However, that cheaper one is actually cheaper than anything on the non-dealer market in this state. Heck, I found a nice Versys, 2500 miles, 2010 at a local dealer outside in their used bikes. I thought to myself, "self, this is the one". I figured it's a 2010; but, with low miles, I'll probably be paying $4500. I talked to the sales guy, $6500 but would sell today for $5900. Yikes!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try Search Tempest . It is a good way to use Craigslist and search town to town and state to state as far as you want to go , instead of local only. Once you find the right V-Strom you have a great state to ride it in. Motorcycle sales are very slow for everyone right now so don't be afraid to make an offer , even at a dealership. Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try Search Tempest . It is a good way to use Craigslist and search town to town and state to state as far as you want to go , instead of local only. Once you find the right V-Strom you have a great state to ride it in. Motorcycle sales are very slow for everyone right now so don't be afraid to make an offer , even at a dealership. Happy hunting.
Search Tempest is by far the best all of craigslist search engine. I do use it all the time. The big problem is, adding either shipping airline ticket to price. I have had people in other states I know from my outdoor forums check out bikes for me. Almost got my hands on a great deal on another FJR that way. Yes, I've been riding in Montana for over 30 years and it is great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts