StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Since this project went well, I'm going to pick up a project I gave up on a long time ago: putting a "stop light" kit in my Kappa K48 top case.

I have red SMD LED 5630 strip and power connectors on the way from Amazon. A little crimping and taping and I should have an additional, very bright brake light in the top case lid.

The plan is to put a few strips inside the case lid as well. They will also be triggered by the brakes, at least at first. That's the simplest way to wire things. If it proves impractical, I can tap a different line, or run a dedicated line from my fuse panel & use a switch.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm corn-fused about putting LED strips inside the case and having them work off the brake light? That'll be odd trying to stretch you leg to the brake pedal to illuminate the case interior so you can see in.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bungee cord or Velcro tie to hold the brake lever down when needed.

Also if we're 2-up, I have an assistant.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Why not just tap the running light so there is power all the time then install a pressure or proximity switch so when you open the lid the LED's illuminates.

Or just use a battery powered $6 under counter LED light bar from Harbor Freight. Velcro it inside the case and poosh the button anytime you want light. I've used them for the last couple of years and they hold up fine.

These are 7" long the light bar rolls so you can adjust the light to go where you want and has 3 settings. Hi/Lo/Blink

62893_zzz_500.jpg

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Because I don't want to have to fool with batteries, or acquiring (and then wiring in) any switches.

Having the top case lit up inside at all times due to the running light seems a bit silly.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Just giving idea's. The Velcro, bungee or 3 hand seems so much easier than dealing with 2 AAA batteries every 3 or 4 years or a switch that takes 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for documenting all this, @DesertBike ; I'll eventually want to do some of this myself.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No prob.

I suspect the red LED strip will prove useful for many other projects.

I don't mind the color, for inside-the-case lighting. Typically, if I need light when rummaging around inside the top case, it'll be in the dark. Maybe on the side of the road. Red light has the advantage of not instantly resetting one's dark-adapted vision, as will a blast of white light. I've used red LED lighting in the glove box on my car, for the same reason.

We'll see how she goes. If I end up using the case interior lighting a bunch, I'll probably look at wiring up something more sophisticated.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Or just start saving the rubber bands off asparagus bunches from the grocery store. They are plenty strong enough to a hold the brake lever back or carry a big potato rock with you that you can set on the brake pedal.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the brake light on the top case working. Taking a break before I attempt the inside-the-case lighting.

Now that I have wires run for the "stop light," they can be tapped for the inside-the-case lighting, so there's that.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts