StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike, the dealer said make sure to adjust the valves on the first service. The manual says nothing about it and another dealer says it's not required on the first service. Any opinions? What all did you guys have done on the first service? Oil, filter, tighten nuts and bolts, chain...........

K

·
0 Posts
ryandhomer said:
Any opinions? What all did you guys have done on the first service? Oil, filter, tighten nuts and bolts, chain...........
Bingo! About $20 for the consumables if you have the tools to do the chain and a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I had my K5 DL650 initial service a few weeks ago and they did not do anything with the valves nor did the owner's manual suggest anything was necessary.

The K4 650 service manual .PDF which I'm looking at right now suggests a valve clearance "inspection" at 24,000 km which is a looong way from the first service.

Someone here (Stromette?) posted that their valves did require a somewhat-early adjustment but it wasn't at the first (1,000 km) service, IIRC.

Unless the selling dealer has some specific reason why they need adjustment (I sure can't think of any for a NEW bike) you might consider going to Dealer #2 for your service requirements. Dealer #1 sounds like they might be trying to line up unnecessary work at your expense.

- Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts