StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased my bike from the dealer, the sales man told me to make sure that I book the bike in the shop for the initial inspec/maintenance procedure. I thought that this was part of buying a new bike at that dealer because oil/filter changes etc. is something that we usually do ourselves anyways. I called the dealer up to make an appointment and he tells me that he has to book me into a 3hr slot. I asked why so long, and he says that he has to check valve clearances and go over all the tolerances and that this was part of buying a new bike, oh and it was going to cost me $300:yikes:. Is this necessary? The manual just says that the initial maintenace only requires and oil/filter change, and the rest just tightening and inspection, the same basic maintenance that we all ever do on our bikes. Am I missing something here, or should I take the bike in? The book says that valve clearance does not need to be inspected until 24K:confused: I dunno, I think that I am being shafted:confused:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mines an '09 but as I remember it was just oil and filter change. Valve check at 600 Miles???????
I think he's taking you for a ride.
I believe mine was also supposed to have a number of bolts torqued, but I doubt a dealer would even do that.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had mine done a couple of weeks back at Brampton. Total cost with taxes was $194. The invoice listed 1000km service, lube and adjust chain, check/adjust tire pressures, throttle free play/clutch, check fluid levels, oil/filter change. I noticed they greased a couple of points and apparently they checked bolts etc and needed about 2 hours for the service. I am sure they did not check or adjust the valves...not needed (unless the engine had sounded wrong I guess). I loaded up on Suzuki oil filters, oil and drain gaskets while at the dealer. I suppose it is a good idea to have the bike checked for the initial check at a dealer unless you are already familiar with this model of bike.

Ken

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe that valve clearances are including on initial service for California bikes only.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine only took an hour and a half for it's first service. Also only come to under $100 as labour was free as a good gesture for buying the bike from them. Every dealer i've bought from in the UK has done that :)

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
You are being scammed by your dealer.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
$300 isn't too bad. Try bringing an old beater car in for service. Everytime I bring in my old truck it's $500-$1000 bucks. Cages are where the real scam is taking place. Isn't everything double the price in Kanukistan?

As for the valve clearance check, I'd call BS on that one. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Being Scammed ?

As we all know, valve clearances don't need checking at 600 miles.

In my own little world I define scammed as purposely being mislead. Unfortunately countless dealers and "technicians" have exhibited their ineptitude by stories posted on the web.

So FWIW, Maybe your dealer is just inept. Maybe he really believes valves need to be checked and that they actually do that.. or maybe he is truly scamming you. Either explanation would eliminate them for me. :furious:

I didn't return for the 600 mile check.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Mostly all they do is check your clutch cable, throttle cable, fork bolts, brake caliper bolts, change the oil & filter. One dealer in Louisville told me $280 for this, the dealer I bought my bike from, out in the country, so to speak, did my check-up for $35. You really have to call around if you have that option. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
What they should be doing is changing the oil and oil filter, checking for excessive metal on the sump plug - and going over the bike checking for correct adjustment of the cables, bolts all tight etc.

Taking it for a test ride to make sure it sounds and feels right - any assembly problems should show up on that first check and get corrected before they get expensive.

3 hours is excessive for that on a DL.

That said, it is worth having a mechanic go over the bike on that first check in particular (the assembly issues I mentioned above).

Pete

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies! The more I read your posts, and the manual on what REALLY needs to be done, I will most definitely NOT be returning to my dealer. I will check with other dealers tomorrow to see what their quote is on the time frame and charge. If there is anybody else out there that took their bike in to get the initial service done, I would really like to hear your input! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but dealers around here are going out of business at a much faster rate than before. I was out yesterday, just cruisin, took a ride to a Honda/Kaw. dealer that always had a bunch of helmets and aftermarket acc.-gone, empty, kaput! Sooo I went to a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer in the same town, it was like a funeral home inside! Almost all cruisers, a couple of GSXR'S mostly 2011 models, no S10's or V Stroms. I guess in this economy with high unemployment, a person has to decide if they want a car or a bike for $15000, or to put in practical terms-the bike makers have cut their own throats! ----BB

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I called a local dealer about the recall and they said they would call me back to take care of it. Guess what? No call back and that was 2 weeks ago. :headbang:

Customer service doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It is nice to see SV racing parts in here responding to questions though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called a local dealer about the recall and they said they would call me back to take care of it. Guess what? No call back and that was 2 weeks ago. :headbang:

Customer service doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It is nice to see SV racing parts in here responding to questions though.
Don't call a dealer! They are there to make money. I contacted Suzuki directly, gave them my VIN #, and they gave me a reply back in writing, that my bike wasn't affected by the recall. I would suggest anybody to do the same, as that covers your ass.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Mine is effected by the recall though. Called Suzuki already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had my Wee done and it was just over a $100. Oil/Filter, lube and tighten nuts and bolts etc. Everything per Suzuki manual.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: I just had 2 other quotes from Suzuki dealers and one said that it was 1.5 hrs and the other says that it would just be one hour. I went back to my dealer and asked him again if the 3hr timeline for the first inspection was right, and he says 'Oh yes, that is the timeline for the first service on all new bikes'. I told him that it does not take 3 hrs, and he says 'and where do you get this information?'. I told him from two other Suzuki dealers, and he then says 'well, if you take it there, you have to make sure that they video tape the procedure or your warranty will be void'. I told him no, that they were SUZUKI Dealers. He then phoned me back at work 2 hrs later and said that if they were going to do the service, then they can take care of the warranty.
Anyways, I booked the appointment for a one hour time slot at the Suzuki Dealer in Belleville (70 km away :(), they were polite, courteus, and wanted my business, so from here on in, they are going to get it.
I will NOT buy another bike, parts, or accessories from my dealer here in Kingston again.
Thank you, everybody, for your input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds shady to me

I have been an auto mechanic for 16 yrs and have never had to video tape anything as a condition of warranty. The manufacturer cannot force you to take your vehicle to them. You do have to have proof that the recommended maint was performed in accordance with the manual. I just performed my first oil change and have the reciept for the oil and filter along with the mileage.
As for the valve clearance check, those valves haven't even begun to seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts