Hi all. I have owned a Ducati Multistrada 1000 for the past 5 years, and it is time for a change. The Duke has served me very well, though an "off" at the track and too many dirt roads ending up with the need for a steering head bearing replacement means the bike will be off the road for a while as it will take me a while to fix it up (as a track bike).
I have always had a V-Strom 1000 in mind as a bike-to-own, and now I am having a serious look at it as it seems GREAT value for money (and the 2010 is on special!).
The Duke had some shortcomings that I would have liked to have known about beforehand, and if I had looked at the forums pre-purchase I would have (e.g valve guides wearing out, fuel guage inaccurate, filling the tank problematic and the fuel tanks reacting to E10 fuel.....)
So I am now reaching out to the experts to ask:
1. Are the 2009 and 2010 models exactly the same apart from the colour choices?
2. Are there any shortcomings for this model?
3. What are the servicing costs like?
4. There appears to be an ABS offering for the 650 but not the 1000. Is that correct and if yes, any idea why not for the 1000?
5. Any owner with Multistrada experience able to comment on the differences?
6. I would specifically like to hear from off-road riders on their impressions. i note the V has a 19 inch front (multi had a 17)....yet the wheels are not wire, so curious on this one.
7. And I would like to get an impression from anyone who has used the V on the track.