StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am in a predicament. i am in need of getting a switched 12 volt power to power my GPI. now i know the easy solution is order the PC8 from Jim at EB, but right now my budget cannot afford that, as well as when I do have the extra funds for it, i've got a laundry list of stuff i want to order from Jim.

So....In the mean time, i want to get some switched power as cheaply as possible...I'm comfortable with wiring and soldering components, and already have the bike taken apart for some maintenance...so now would be the most ideal time for me to run some wires.

has anyone done anything like this? i know i'm cheap, but i'm working on taking care of outfitting myself with all the proper gear first, then some other necessities on the bike as well, so right now the "accessories" fall low on the priority list.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated...i've got a bunch of wire and connectors and such already...i just need some help on how to do it? i have no problem buying relays or anything either...

·
Registered
394 Posts
If just MINIMAL power (and I do mean minimal), you could just tap off something that is only on while the bike is running ? Like a running light or something.

If you need more power, get a relay ($5) and wire it to be actuated by something like a running light. And wire the power in/ground directly to the batt ?

Same as you would wire up a fusebox without the fusebox. Just connect the relay directly to your load ...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You can get switched power from any orange/green hot wire and black/white ground wire. A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector behind the radiator. Part number 36852-06G00. An O/G wire is accessible at the rear brake light switch for one place and the large connector under a rubber cover in the left fairing cheek. A brown wire can also be used as a hot wire. It is also hot with the ignition switch in Park. O/G and Br wires are fused and can handle a GPS easily.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get switched power from any orange/green hot wire and black/white ground wire. A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector behind the radiator. Part number 36852-06G00. An O/G wire is accessible at the rear brake light switch for one place and the large connector under a rubber cover in the left fairing cheek. A brown wire can also be used as a hot wire. It is also hot with the ignition switch in Park. O/G and Br wires are fused and can handle a GPS easily.
thanks GW!

if those wires can handle a GPS, then it should have no issue handling my GPI. Since they are already fused as well then I shouldn't have to worry about putting my own inline fuse. Would you happen to know what the fuses are for those lines?

·
38,104 Posts
They work off the signals fuse. The O/G wires have enough capacity to run heated grips.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They work off the signals fuse. The O/G wires have enough capacity to run heated grips.
perfect! i'll look at that fuse and see what size it is, then go from there. that should help me out until i can get around to affording the proper fuse block

·
38,104 Posts
The signal fuse is 15A but the lights other than headlights also run off it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The signal fuse is 15A but the lights other than headlights also run off it.
so this might come as a "stupid question" but here goes...is it a legitimate wiring move to put an inline fuse off of that for my GPI? all of my bench testing has been with a 5 amp fuse off of my test battery, and would like to use that for the unit itself, or maybe even a 3 amp if i can find one. all of the components in my build aren't rated for much more than 3 amps if my memory serves me right.

i've got a lot of time and thought and help invested into this gadget, and don't want to melt it if i can avoid it...

·
38,104 Posts
The O/G wire has the capacity to run heated grips. They will draw more than your indicator. As long as you are not running heated grips or anything else off the connector behind the radiator, you're fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The oem heated grips connector is great as Greywolf suggested. You can hack off the connector if you don't plan on using it again and do your soldering/crimping directly to the wires. Or if you want a cleaner and reversible solution, you can order this from Eastern Beaver :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The O/G wire has the capacity to run heated grips. They will draw more than your indicator. As long as you are not running heated grips or anything else off the connector behind the radiator, you're fine.
hmm...now that you mention that, i will have to double check if anything is hooked up to that connection. i have the front end disassembled right now for some other maintenance work, and I've noticed the the PO has the oxford heated grips wired in to a connector right behind the radiator. when i get home today i'll have to check and report back

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my heated grips do run off of that connector. I know my GPI doesn't consume hardly any power so would it be safe to hook it up to the same wires? I guess the worst that would happen is that I'd pop the fuse.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Am I the only one wondering what the hell a "GPI" is? :confused:

Anyhoo, I feed my heated grips, Stebel horn, and 12V power outlet from a relay. $4 for the relay, plus some wire, heat shrink, and connectors.

·
38,104 Posts
It's a gear position indicator. There is a thread going on about building one.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a gear position indicator. There is a thread going on about building one.
Yup! That's the thread I've used to build mine from. Voltar here on the site is the one that started it. He's been awesome to work with.

Just search Voltar and DIY here on the site and it'll pop right up.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I the only one wondering what the hell a "GPI" is? :confused:

Anyhoo, I feed my heated grips, Stebel horn, and 12V power outlet from a relay. $4 for the relay, plus some wire, heat shrink, and connectors.
Where do you get a relay for $4?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Where do you get a relay for $4?
Advance Auto near me has sealed 40A relays near the driving lights for $3.99. They may have gone up to $4.50 or so recently.

Over in the electrical section of the store, an unsealed 30A relay is $6. Go figure. :confused:

Any auto parts store will have relays -- poke around near the fog lights.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Advance Auto near me has sealed 40A relays near the driving lights for $3.99. They may have gone up to $4.50 or so recently.

Over in the electrical section of the store, an unsealed 30A relay is $6. Go figure. :confused:

Any auto parts store will have relays -- poke around near the fog lights.
I'll have myself a look! Just seems that ones i have seen have been a little more pricey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts