StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have found away to make an inexpensive radiator protector using something called an under eave vent found at many hardware stores and home improvement stores($2.39 @ Ace Hardware in Springfield, IL) . The vent already was the exact size as the radiator on my DL650(16”x 8”) making it a bit snug, so I bent one edge over with a pair on needle nose pliars and it fit just fine. The stuff below it is called hardware cloth and I used it to reinforce the guard after I zip-tied it onto the radiator. The picture below was on taken on the wooden boarded floor walk outside my apartment.

Undereave Vent - Cropped.jpg

There was some trial and error, figuring out where the zip ties would go through those gaps near the radiator tank and through the guard. I used a nail to punch holes in the hardware cloth & vent for the 6 zip-ties to go through-when I had off the bike, of course.

Radiator Guard Mounted-cropped.JPG

I’m not saying it will stop a .45, but I’ll bet it will stop some decent rocks & large bugs, and I haven’t experience any overheating problems. Some undereave vents that others may not have the fins cut so far into the center, though. Whole thing costs $5-$6 and didn’t take that long to do, either. I feel better having it on there.

There's also a similar vent which probably could be used to build a guard for the oil cooler, but I chose to just use the hardware cloth on it since I already have a heavy skid plate protecting it(Adventure Motostuff) and didn't want to inhibit the airflow around it any more. Hope this helps someone else.

P.S. I'm sorry these pictures are so small, but I'm still learning how to edit them down to meet the size guidelines for this website. I'm using a 2.0 megapixel camera then cropping or shrinking the image size down using adobe Photoshop. I would appreciate any suggestions as I may post some other penny pincher ideas I have found.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I think you are mistaking the thumbnails that show up in the post for the full size picture. Try clicking on the image in your post.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inexpensive Radiator Protector - Reply

No!, Go ahead Chris. Pick it apart if you want, I can take it.

Besides I know how strong it is and know you haven't even examined the parts.

So fire away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:shock: :rolleyes: I dont know - mabey if you paint it black.
I rode a KLR for years and did some hideous pennytech/ziptie mods to it but it was ugly to start with and could take it. :(
My wee's just to pretty I dont think I could do it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I admire your ability to engineer such a protective device. That being said, man,thats really tacky. lol maybe if it was used in conjunction with aluminum trash can lids for mid-body armor, you would'nt really notice it. On the other hand, for a last minute trail ride, your creation and keiths soup can oil filter cover would work just great. Thanks for the pics, J.R.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I admire your ability to engineer such a protective device. That being said, man,thats really tacky. lol maybe if it was used in conjunction with aluminum trash can lids for mid-body armor, you would'nt really notice it. On the other hand, for a last minute trail ride, your creation and keiths soup can oil filter cover would work just great. Thanks for the pics, J.R.
Hell, man, *I* like it.
But I may Tremclad something black before it goes on.
Or - whadda hell. Leave it silver.
At least it might prevent some damage if I hit a bird or something. Though my dream protector would stand out about 1", allowing the protector some "give room" to absorb incoming missiles, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Made my rad protector using a paper tray from a stationary store. It came painted grey, the bike is blue, don't care. Whatever works and is relatively cheap is a good deal in my books. I have a somewhat ugly functional bike, much better than a bike pretty enough to steal.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I went to Junction, TX for the TAR-07. There was everything stuck in my rad guard when I return to the motel each night. Your guard would have made cleaning the face of the rad. a smap. As it was other guys were tooth
brushing their fins each night.
Good Job

Not steal your thread & on the same line. Cheack out the paint dept at Lowe's. Look at the little expanded metal trays that fit into the roller brush trays, looke at the largest size. Very heavy duty & blask auto paint will stick to it.

I used an old aluminum expanded metal door & mounted it over 3/4 " rubber sticky weather stripping. It is a quicky to clean & by the dents in the thing, I know it worked.

Now I just have to figure out what to do w/ the door hinges flapping in the breeze.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posting Pics

Thanks.

For the posting link you gave me, I think I can see how some are inserting pictures full-size rather than thumnail(the're linking them to URL's). I'll probably still have to size down pictures downloaded directly from my computer.

With regard to the radiator protector, the idea was to come up with a reasonable low-cost solution for those who were'nt ready to pay the $80-$120 price for a vendor solution, not to chrome up the bike.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
No!, Go ahead Chris. Pick it apart if you want, I can take it.

Besides I know how strong it is and know you haven't even examined the parts.

So fire away.
i cant aford the fancy stuff for my bike, sorry i made fun of your ideas as im in the same boat[just the side of a house stuck on my my bike seems goofy]too be honest after a few days on my bike i saw the damage too the rad, and allso before a even got the bike i saw pics from kiwi before i got my bike, and thought i gotta protect it but now i just dont worry about it

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
get over it ,its not about looking cool[normal]its about protecting our little strom

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

I'm always trying to make the the best decisions I can with my money so the bike doesn't become too much of money pit.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of a doubt, Chris.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
yes

i cant afford too make any modifications too my bike,damm broken signal light at 65 bucks was enough,pluss 400 buck speeding ticket,and anotherin alberta for 200 ,seems like the whole world wants too suck me dry,pluss revenue canada wanting ,2,0000 ,just if i can pop a few wheelies on v strom makes the other stuf go away

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Touchy eh?

Didn't mean to fire up the canadians about the ghetto-mod, Please zip-tie anything you want anywhere it looks good to you. Then send more pics.J.R.

No offense meant XL, painted black it would look and work good, I'm inspired to make one myself and will post pics for your amusement when i'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Don't know that I run that piece in normal use, but if you're in nasty mud a lot it may be the ticket. I'm planning on going to Alaska on the Wee next year, you read a lot about guys on Top of the World or the Dalton having to stop and clean their rads. A removable guard like that would make that easier.
I would paint it black though. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts