StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 DL1000 and it doesn’t have a center stand. I’d like to pay around $150-$200. If anyone has any leads on one new or used let me know

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I'll 2nd the Cosmo. I have one on my '15 650.

Happy Trails also is on the lower end of pricing. My meathead brother's old center stand from HT had some issues and it didn't last. Also, the feet were substantially narrower, which made it not as stable. My Cosmo stand is a bit narrower than stock '15 650 stand, but still very stable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check the for sale section,

A seller with a Cosmo stand has his available 12 hrs ago.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This item is a crude piece of hardware and requires little intelligence to produce.
I got one off eBay from China. Very cheap. 80 bucks including shipping.
Not absolutely perfectly balanced to a critical eye but not enough to worry about. For me at least.
It works perfectly and at the end of the day if it works, it works.
I guess that means whatever you buy will work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
OEM stands turn up new on eBay as well.
Look up "Studebaker Center Stand" They are an exact copy of the OEM Suzuki but made in China. I installed one last summer and I challenge anyone to show me the difference. Everything comes with it. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RETURN SPRINGS, they are a real problem finding them. A Suzuki 550 of some years is the same. I bought my stand in pieces until I found a site selling the entire stand...I needed the bushings that install into the frame. My cost was over $250 or a bit more. I should have just purchased an OEM and been done with it. You should be able to get a Studebaker for $200. It' easy to install the stand but a PIA to attach the springs. There are You Tube videos to consult.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's a cheaper price than what I found last summer. At that time most were at $280 or so. I suckered in on one at $150 and it came without springs as I knew it would by the description(I mean who would have thought the springs were as hard to find as an honest politician?) What I did not note was that it was also missing the steel bushings. I got the bushings from the guy that has the Studebaker stands but had to pay shipping and buy a kit that included the springs I got from Suziki once I found out which springs to order. When the "smoke cleared" as they say, I had my stand mounted and had extra springs and the cost was just shy of $250 as I recall. Getting the whole deal at $247 is definitely a better way to go, but it may be possible to find the Studebaker for under $200?

Been off road a few times with the center stand and so far there have been no problems. I wouldn't do it and not expect some problems down the road if you ride the more difficult ones as it does limit clearance when the rear wheel drops into a rut. There have been some references to people getting their left foot under the stand in off road situations and I would think that would be painful. With the 3/4" lowering link it is a bit more difficult to get the bike on and off the stand due to my age, height (72, 5'7") and a real chore if the stand is deployed (or employed) on smooth garage type pavement. No problems with asphalt of dirt. It is best (for me) to sit my ass on the bike when rolling it off the stand due to the weight and height of the bike .I am very glad I installed it. I can tell no difference between the Studebaker and the OEM. I did not like the Motech or the others I investigated. I have the Altrider skidplate and there is no interference with the stand. With the Michelin Ankee Wild tires,I do not ride as I did with my previous bike, a Hayabusa so I cannot say that the stand will not contact pavement if you are riding the thing like a sport bike.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The only times I've grounded the stand were chasing some poor bastard on a new Ducati on a bumpy high crowned sealed road. (And I say poor bastard because he was obviously running the new Duc in and I kept running into him that weekend - I had fun ). And on gravel roads with high center piles of gravel.

If you are grounding the stand more than very rarely, up the rear preload/put firmer springs in the rear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only times I've grounded the stand were chasing some poor bastard on a new Ducati on a bumpy high crowned sealed road. (And I say poor bastard because he was obviously running the new Duc in and I kept running into him that weekend - I had fun ). And on gravel roads with high center piles of gravel.

If you are grounding the stand more than very rarely, up the rear preload/put firmer springs in the rear.
Installed a firmer spring in August and in forks too with heavier oil. Big difference. The only riding I'm liable to do that will ground the center stand arm will be if I drop the rear wheel in a deep rut and maybe it will keep me from getting stuck?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts