StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just purchased a '14 and now it's time to get the necessary pieces of kit to make this a suitable ride.

I spent about 3 hours researching Googling and have found some items (mostly from Richland Rick's site), but I'm still looking for the following items (when I say reasonably priced I don't mean paying $80 for risers or wider foot pegs). Perhaps I'm out to lunch, but I think not as Rick is doing it.

- soft luggage racks (something simple to keep the bags off the chain/exhaust)

- wider serrated foot pegs

- functional skid plate that won't interfere with crash bars

- 1" risers

- functional crash bars

I'm hopeful there are some options, thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Inexpensive doesn't exactly go with these bikes, or any for that matter.

Risers $63
SW-MOTECH 7/8" Handlebar Risers - RevZilla

SW Motech for everything else as well. I think they have good prices for the outstanding quality of parts you get.

The only way you're going to find anything cheaper is to make it yourself in most if not all cases.

Making a bulk purchase from a vendor on here might get you a little better discount as well.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
A lot of farkles can be found in the For Sale section here.
Rox risers, $50.
Some stuff on the For Free listing too.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
unfortunately, V-strom accessories are not in enuf demand far a chinese manufacturer to make a million copies to get the price down

I recommend finding a local bricks and mortar store that caters to the adventure bike market

I'm lucky to have 2 somewhat local vendors , Twisted Throttle and Whitehorse Gear, a couple times a year, they have an open house with promotional prices

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks this is very helpful. I'm purchasing most of what Rick offers as he has quality stuff for a reasonable price and its made locally. Now I'm looking for the few things he does not carry.

I did manage to find some 25mm risers for $45 so I ordered them, I saw the Tusk version but the only offer 15 or 30mm, I felt 15 would be too short and I did not want to run into possible cable length issues with the 30mm, (possibly why the Rox risers are in the for sale section?) too bad those would have been awesome.

Regarding serated wider foot pegs on eBay, I did check out eBay by putting "2014 DL1000" into the search to see what was all available to give me a starting point for price but I did not see any reasonably priced pegs (ie: under $60). Part of my problem is not knowing what will fit the Vee2 from other bikes that have been around for a long time. If I did then I could probably get the stuff cheaper as the seller is not taking advantage of the bike's "newness" in the market. On that note I did search for DL650 pegs given how long that bike has been around but no luck.

Can someone suggest a bike model or serated wider ADV style peg on eBay I could consider....?

They other two items I need to figure out are a skid plate and crash bars, I was looking at the Ravetech bash plate and the SW Motek bars (which I had on my '09 Wee), suggestions there?

I did purchase the OEM centre stand and hand guards from the dealer as their prices were lower than I could get them on line which surprised me, but I think it's because I get 15% off for purchasing the bike there and no shipping costs which can be expensive because I live in Canada.

Speaking of living in Canada that means I dont have a "local" vendor, so Internet shopping is my local...

Thus why I appreciate these threads!

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
See what kind of deal that dealer can give you on the Suzuki crash bars. They work pretty well-don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey CWJB, good idea, I actually just sent him an email asking that very thing. Any idea who makes them (ie: what pattern they use, or are they most close to)?

Do you have for a skid plate to fit with the Zuk bars?

Ps I like your avatar pic, I've got the same picture, bueaut of a rode.

Edit: found out that SW makes the Zuk OEM crash Bars, although they are a bit different "horn" style I read. So yes they should be good.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Search KLR650 Footpegs on Ebay, they're about $22 for a nice set. They are a direct fit for the DL650.

Weld86 Skid plate is your best low-cost option.

Givi engine guards are as cheap as I'd want to go, and are still very good protection.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Search KLR650 Footpegs on Ebay, they're about $22 for a nice set. They are a direct fit for the DL650.

Weld86 Skid plate is your best low-cost option.

Givi engine guards are as cheap as I'd want to go, and are still very good protection.
HI and thanks for the reply.

I'm looking for items that fit the 2014 DL1000 not the Wee. I checked out Weld86's site and I don't see an Vee2 option.

Are the Wee pegs the same as the Vee2 pegs....?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've read a couple different opinions but I don't know if it's been determined who makes the bars.
I haven't got a skid plate yet.I'm waiting to see what Enduro Guardian comes up with. His other plates are top quality and very reasonable. Right now I'm going to look up that Weld 86 plate-never heard of them before. As much as I like farkeling up my bike, that's one thing that it bugs me to have to buy. That's something that this bike really should have come with-even if it was just a high quality hard plastic like the klr.The pos it came with wouldn't protect the oil filter from a small rock.
Yeah. Lolo pass. Boy does that make me bike horney-sitting in Illinois looking out the window at a foot of snow piled up against the garage door.
Weld 86 not showing one for the DL1000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts