StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I'm thinking about that grandstand on the inside. They call it Corner 7. I want to take some photos of the race, too. Is that the best place for this course? Do they run from turn 1 to the road course like F1 did?

TIA

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ordered my tickets as soon as I could. Also got the motorcycle parking pass at the same time. I have to decide which hotel I want to stay at, I have reservations at two and will cancel one of them.

TM

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What's the date?

·
Registered
386 Posts
The wife and I will be there. Her on her gray 650 and me on my gray 1K, Texas plates of course.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone who wants to can camp on my land a few miles from the track. I'll be having a bonfire and cookout.

-GW
That sounds very inviting, what nights were you going to have the festivities? I was just going to run over every day, about a 2 hour ride on I-70 from Casey, Illinois. If my wife decides she wants to come then unfortunately the most remote camping she will do has to have an in room hot tub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll be there, but with the Yahoo! Groups Yamaha FJ1100/1200 Club.

We'll be doing a parade lap at some point as part of a group-ticket-buy deal...I'll be the guy on the '86 FJ1200 with full lowers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just heard they were doing the fairgrounds race again:D I used to go every year back in the late '70s and early '80s. That is a wicked fast track. I've been on it in my dirt car. That was scary enough. I can't imagine that on two wheels!
I'd love to hang out, I still have a lot to learn on the ways of the Wee:)

Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is odd...someone from Springfield interested in flat trackers?:devil_16:

OK, OK. I know it's a bit predictable. But if you were transferred to Springfield after 13 years in Chicago, you too would be looking for a little excitement. It's either flat trackers or Bass Trackers around here...and I prefer my fish toxin-free, thank you....sooo, it's off to the Fairgrounds for me.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That sounds very inviting, what nights were you going to have the festivities? I was just going to run over every day, about a 2 hour ride on I-70 from Casey, Illinois. If my wife decides she wants to come then unfortunately the most remote camping she will do has to have an in room hot tub.
Anyone is welcome anytime. Camping is free and we can always fire up the grill. If I get enough takers for that weekend I'd probably light up the bonfire on Saturday night.

If anyone wants to take me up on the camping just send me a PM.

-GW

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Anyone is welcome anytime. Camping is free and we can always fire up the grill. If I get enough takers for that weekend I'd probably light up the bonfire on Saturday night.

If anyone wants to take me up on the camping just send me a PM.

-GW
You're a generous soul Gray.

Four of us are riding down from the north of the border. It's about 10 1/2 hours from here. Two Wees, one SV and a Beemer GS. We're booked into a B&B about half an hour from the track

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Well, at least the town is looking to make race fans welcome...:rolleyes:

FWIW, I don't condone the behavior they're looking to "prevent" (or maybe "draw revenue from"). I do think it looks bad to be passing laws against fans of an event that has yet to actually occur and will bring money into the area.

Speedway seeks to quiet motorcycle race fans
By Josh Duke
Posted: July 29, 2008

The Speedway Town Council is considering two new laws aimed at heading off problems that could arise with the arrival of the MotoGP motorcycle race and its fans Sept. 14.

One ordinance would allow police to cite motorcyclists causing excessive noise by revving engines. The other would prohibit parking of motorcycle trailers on town streets two days before qualifications through race day.

"This is a process the town goes through whenever there is a new situation or a different race," Speedway Town Manager Barbara A. Lawrence said today. "This is a new fan base, and we have to look at what they bring to the town and be prepared.

"We expect more people to come to town with motorcycles, so we just want to be proactive so everyone coming for the race has a nice and safe visit."

The Town Council could adopt the new ordinances at its Aug. 11 meeting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts