StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
INDY - Tech Day Interest - Spring 2019?

I live on the NW side of Indianapolis and have a well-equipped shop and a good bit of DL wrenching experience.

I'm thinking about hosting a spring tech day, maybe sometime in April or early May, and I'd like to gauge whether there's any interest in this sort of thing from the local DL riders.

I only have one lift, so we'd need to plan ahead and schedule things, but we could handle some tire changes, maybe a couple of valve checks, accessory or upgrade installs, fork seals, wheel bearings, brakes, etc.

A nice chance to meet a few local riders, hang out, get your hands dirty, and maybe even learn a thing or three.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is an 8 hour ride away local enough? I'd make the ride down in the hopes of learning a thing or three from a day like this...

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I'm very willing to ride over just to spend the day with ya'll, have hosted a few tech days myself quite a ways back.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very willing to ride over just to spend the day with ya'll, have hosted a few tech days myself quite a ways back.
Might have to pick your brains a bit about running a tech day, although I've found that the DL crowd is generally not too unruly.

I know there are other Indy and central Indiana area Strommers around... hopefully they're not all hibernating and will check in eventually.

Maybe we can arrange a day of wrenching and a day of riding; from my house it's about 20 minutes to decent country roads that rapidly get better and better as you head south.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very interested!! I can bring a paddock stand too, depending on date. Or drop it off for the day if it turns out I can't attend. After mid-april is more open for me and May is good too. I'll need to swap on new tires.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I highly suggest no valve checks/adjustments, that is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Saw this on another thread -- https://www.stromtrooper.com/feedback-suzuki/421223-drain-holes-forks.html

Is it really that easy if you already have the front wheel off for a tire change?
Yep, once the front wheel's off, you pull the fender, then loosen six bolts. Badabing badaboom.

I highly suggest no valve checks/adjustments, that is just asking for trouble.
Good point. You can't do a valve check on a hot engine, for one. And it's time-consuming, so it would eat up a lot of time that could be spent on other things.

Tire changes, no problem. I have DL1000 wheel bearings on hand, but we could arrange for someone to have a set of DL650 fronts on tap just in case.

Fork seals, fork oil changes, should be no problem. (At least on DL650 and 1st-gen 1000; not sure whether I have the tools/info for USD DL1000 forks.)

Fluid changes would be no problem. Could also do a chain/sprocket swap if that's needed. Brake line upgrades, etc.

Accessory installs, wiring...

Anyway, we'd definitely need to plan ahead and ration time, materials, interest, and expertise. What do people want to learn about most?

Looks like some locals I haven't met are popping up! Even if you can't make the tech day, I hope we can meet up sometime.

At this point, I have various plans in April, so I'm targeting sometime in May. I'll try to narrow that down over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
DEFINITELY no valve checks on an ABS DL650. Egads. I mean, we got 'er done, but I was just about out of bad language and starting to repeat myself. That can take a while.

I could see doing one valve check on a local's bike as a demonstration if people are interested in seeing how it's done -- it needs to be done cold, so maybe drop it off the night before and get some of the preliminaries out of the way.

BB, what other advice can you offer?

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
DEFINITELY no valve checks on an ABS DL650. Egads. I mean, we got 'er done, but I was just about out of bad language and starting to repeat myself. That can take a while.

I could see doing one valve check on a local's bike as a demonstration if people are interested in seeing how it's done -- it needs to be done cold, so maybe drop it off the night before and get some of the preliminaries out of the way.

BB, what other advice can you offer?
My advice is most certainly no valve checks, just too much to go wrong unintentionally IMHO. Things like brake pads, system flushes, chain/sprocket change, perhaps TB sync for any ancient 1000's. :grin2:Would be easy and good to perform some steering stem bearing checks, I have the socket I can send were I not able to come. I did burgers and dogs to feed the group, something simple and easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts