StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, My DL 1000 GT is just 3 years old now and having enjoyed around 6000 mile of riding enjoyment I decided to rectify my only niggle.

I have found that the warning lights for the indicators are not in my line of vision when riding and there have been numerous occasions where I have hit the cancel button but the indicators have not cancelled and I havent seen the light still flashing as its below my line of sight. My pal and I have intercoms and luckily he has warned me that they were still flashing on several occasions...I am obviously worried. :jawdrop:

now normally I am the first to criticise these types of mods as 'only for numpties' however in this case I am prepared to make an exception...so £9.95 spent on tinternet and I have in my posession a prepared beeper kit.

I am going to fit this weekend so hopefully it will solve my niggle... anyone else had the same problem?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
No problems here. I regularly check my instruments. Miss an oil pressure warning light for long and big problems are coming.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I put a turn signal beeper on my KLR, it was annoying(thats the point) but after a few thousand miles on the Trans American Trail, I took a digger and it broke. Even without it, I no longer leave my signals on, so I guess it worked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit that part of the problem is my flip front helmet which blocks my imidiate downward vision, I do check the instruments regularly but it only takes a few seconds of an indicator not being cancelled to put you (me) at risk.

The DL is indoubtedly the best all rounder Ive owned...(34 motorbikes since 1980) and I have never owned one bike for more than two years.... but this is the first time in my riding history that I have ever noticed uncancelled indicators...maybe my lid is to blame, maybe I am getting old...nevertheless I wont take the risk anymore and so the idiot beeper is going to be fitted saturday ready for a 2000 mile road trip in two weeks.

Road trips...I love them!

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Alternate light??

I've thought about installing a tiny LED amber light somewhere up high, maybe somehow on the windshield (??) to catch my attention better.......field of view sorta thing. I haven't done it......just thought about doing it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I make canelling my signal part of the maneuvre. I rarely forget them.
The skill is easily transferred to the SM which doesn't have cancelling signals.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've long since trained myself to push the signal button to cancel my indicators as I complete my turn. It's instinctual behavior now, to the point that I'll sometimes find myself pressing the signal button whilst riding straight down the road. I'm probably more at risk of cancelling my indicator lights prematurely than I am of leaving them on after my turn is complete.

Free and effective, with no post facto idiot light fitments required.

TM

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Is there an annunciator on the panel that warns us if the brake/tail light is burned out? If not, I wish there was one. In fact, I think I might like a visible indicator anytime something was changing -- maybe indicated by detection of a voltage drop, or something a bit more intelligent than that?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I've long since trained myself to push the signal button to cancel my indicators as I complete my turn. It's instinctual behavior now, to the point that I'll sometimes find myself pressing the signal button whilst riding straight down the road.
I too have made it part of my turning muscle memory, and often cancel my (not blinking) signals when exiting a sharp turn, easily-trained monkey that I am.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Searching back, way back in the memory core. Yeah that's it. I think it was GM that used fiber optics to set up a display for the driver to see the signals and brake lights. Back in the late 70's early 80's maybe. Could be an amusing project on a bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Searching back, way back in the memory core. Yeah that's it. I think it was GM that used fiber optics to set up a display for the driver to see the signals and brake lights. Back in the late 70's early 80's maybe. Could be an amusing project on a bike.

Christ almighty I have just had a flashback to my time working at a Datsun (before Nissan) garage in the late 70s....I remember the Datsun 280c salloons/sedan used to have a fibre optic diplay on the rear parcel shelf so that when you braked you could see the red FO in the rear view mirror...very smart thinking but sadly the idea disapeared and I dont know of any other cars with this accessory.

Bloody good idea for bikes too though

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Earlier than that. I had a '71 vette with the fiber optic indicators in the shifter console right below the 4-speed stick. There was an indicator for each headlight, tail light, and blinker if I remember right - different colors too. I believe this feature went back to '69.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The beeper is fitted !

Right the deed is done...the annoying turn indicator beeper is fitted and working!

And.... actually its not too bad at all, as you can see its a simple kit...it even has a silencer kit which shuts the beeper up when your brake light is on so that it doesnt annoy you when you are sat at the lights. only cost £9 which is pretty cheap too.

I tucked the beepr under the left fairing panel to protect it from the rain, we'll see if it works on the trip next week!

you can see the two screws that I used to hold it in it place...full report in two weeks.

PICT1038.jpg

PICT1041.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts