StromTrooper banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
4,684 Posts
Unless you stumble back on it as the person who wrote what was deleted you never know there was a "problem." As a premium member who reads the thread you see the note that it was deleted and the mods reasoning, but not the original post.

No notification = no learning + chance discovery of infraction = only chance change in behavior

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a bit late here and I don't really want to stir things up, but this stood out as it reminded me of another recent situation on this forum I witnessed.

This instance of enforcement seems surprising to me, considering the mod that deleted that post has recently taken for sale posts WAY of the rails with his own comments on asking price, and had to have other forum members remind him of the rules after repeated derailments of the thread.

I didn't comment on it at the time because the poor guy trying to sell his bike had 3 pages of arguing on his post already, but I thought the conduct was obviously rude and it just seemed to continue because the person who should have stepped in was the one that was initiating all the garbage posts and defending themselves instead of just walking away (or better yet, deleting all their useless posts!).

I definitely understand why the rule is in place, but if it's going to be enforced there needs to be a distinction on when when a comment may be appropriate (it seems helpful in this case?), and when it is not. Moderators also need to demonstrate their own ability to follow the same rules.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just an FYI - Here's how the ZRXOA handles their marketplace postings. Something like this could work here. This is the heading in the For Sale Section.

Posting Rules for ZRXOA Marketplace
1. No posting in peoples for sale threads unless you have business with the seller, they will be deleted and infractions can be issued at moderator's discretion.
2. Pricing is set by the seller, if you want to make an offer of a different price, send it in a PM, otherwise buy it from someone else.
3. Try to keep for sale threads on topic.
4. The seller sets the conditions of the sale, if you don't agree, buy it from someone else.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Over on a vintage Suzuki forum I frequent, uninvolved idiots crapping in for-sale threads is rampant, and it's very discouraging to potential sellers.

It's a problem because they're not making any more vintage bikes or parts, and we need a robust marketplace to keep our bikes on the road. Over there, join-to-sell is welcomed because we need access to more bikes and parts, so it's fairly common that people who know nothing about the bikes come into possession and need to sell. (Of course, things are different here where the bikes are more current.)

Anyway, these types of rules are, sadly, very necessary. If you're not making a firm offer, butt out.

There are times over on the vintage forum where we'll add needed information in a positive way. For example, it often helps to more clearly identify the year and model. Sadly, we have a fair share of basement dwellers who feel it's their sacred duty to kibitz prices and insult sellers, and we're struggling to deal with it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've been a moderator on a diesel forum for about 25 years and even if the price is stupid high (or low) I'm pretty sure any comments from others about asking price get deleted.

EDIT: Being a moderator is a sort of thankless job. It's a background position of keeping things orderly, but people love to jump on you when they feel they've been wronged. We're human, we do make mistakes sometimes. Pretty much everything is a judgement call and we do our best. A PM or email (with a sense of kindness and/or assumption of good reason) will go a lot further than a public post.

·
Vendor
4,684 Posts
Yep thankless non paid job demanding lot's of time a steady consistent even hand. I remember a thread here on Stromtrooper many years ago that talked about why someone would do it. It was not a positive upbeat thread and they didn't even talk about the personal legal liability. And that was about an icon of consistency and even handedness, Greywolf.

·
Registered
223 Posts
...Perhaps someone should suggest that in the new site format (coming soon) that when a post is deleted by a mod that an automatic notification goes to the person who posted it. No work after the code is...
Wow, is the whole site getting redesigned? Or what do you mean by “new site format”? :smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
For what it's worth, I can see when a comment has been deleted, with the mod reason. I am a premium member.
Same here.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I'm a bit late here and I don't really want to stir things up, but this stood out as it reminded me of another recent situation on this forum I witnessed.

This instance of enforcement seems surprising to me, considering the mod that deleted that post has recently taken for sale posts WAY of the rails with his own comments on asking price, and had to have other forum members remind him of the rules after repeated derailments of the thread.

I didn't comment on it at the time because the poor guy trying to sell his bike had 3 pages of arguing on his post already, but I thought the conduct was obviously rude and it just seemed to continue because the person who should have stepped in was the one that was initiating all the garbage posts and defending themselves instead of just walking away (or better yet, deleting all their useless posts!).

I definitely understand why the rule is in place, but if it's going to be enforced there needs to be a distinction on when when a comment may be appropriate (it seems helpful in this case?), and when it is not. Moderators also need to demonstrate their own ability to follow the same rules.
Yes sir you are absolutely correct, I screwed up on that one and was very much hypocritical. No.....I typically don’t/haven’t responded to for sale posts “over the last 15 years” when asking price is ludicrous, I send a PM to the member and sometimes they are appreciative and others a bit combative. I want to see stuff sell here for the poster, sometimes I’m a bit overzealous and forget I’m also a long time moderator. I’m a bit like the current president, I at times act and say things which are not very professional or leader like, but I mean well and do things right by the book much more often than not. Members aren’t climbing the walls to be Mods here, it’s a thankless job and we do more behind the scenes than I’m sure is realized. Can’t please everyone nor are we free from making mistakes or perhaps keeping our mouths shut when we should, but overall the Mod team is damn good and I’m happy “much of the time” being part of it.

I miss my friend Greywolf as do we all, he was a no BS kind of guy and no question he wouldn’t put up with some of the situations which rear their ugly head here from time to time. Again I am appreciative of this thread being started, as any and all criticism is taken as constructive by the Mod team. We stumble, we fall, we rise again......life goes on.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Thanks for the affirmation from premium members seeing post deletion with comments, I’ll see what VS can do for everyone having capability as well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts