StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few questions to the mod/admins:

- what's the purpose to of the forum if not helping each other?
- if my post gets deleted shouldn't I be notified about the fact and the reason?

A week ago (or so) I posted in the "for sale" a response to the tread where apart to the answer about the sizing of the boots (not mine but I have the same model) I also included the info indicating that the seller's asking price is higher than currently available low price of new ones in store. Now, that there is a new response in that tread, I noticed my post was removed. I didn't get any notification or reason for thus my questions:

- since it is clear that the purpose of the forum is not to help each others by either responding to the questions or directly showing where to save few $$$ than what is it that we are here for?

- even though the header of the "for sale" says "Moderators can delete-edit posts at will" shouldn't there be at least the basic info given on the edit or delete being made and the reason for it? A basic courtesy, if applied, would say there should.

Bonus question:
- Is there any preference in the interest/benefit protection given to any particular users or sides of the seller/buyer relation? Clearly in this case the seller was favored over the potential buyer - is there any particular reason why or standard policy about it?

Not to say I'm a bit disappointed with this situation... but I am.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Go back and look at the thread. The deleted message is there and the reason is clearly stated:

"This message has been deleted by Big B. Reason: Not relevant to discussion and unnecessary"

..Tom

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
What got you is the part about the price. It is verbotten to go on any for sale thread and give price advise. I see stuff get listed all the time for the price of new or sometimes over the price of new, yet somehow the stuff sells. It's up to the buyer to do his/her research and if they don't ...too bad for them. Greywolf deleted one of my responses on a for sale add one time because I asked a question on the model of the item, then mentioned the price difference of the models. In my mind I was not calling the guy out on the price, but GW took it that way and looking back I can see his point.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Oh, dear, I think I may have been guilty of suggesting a price was too high and had seen it posted. Maybe my post was deleted subsequently and I haven't noticed cus i haven't looked at the post again.
When someone does post a high price, it's bad form to let them know that seems to be the dealer price?
Seems there have been exchanges that have gone on for a while about farkles being worth less than a new price.
And, I beleeb I've been deleted when I was insegrevious too. As I should be.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not here to argue about whether the post should’ve been left there or deleted, just wanted to say that I also didn’t see any indication that a post had been deleted, for whatever reason. I did see the post in question while it was still up, but it has completely vanished without a trace. No sign on my end of the notice that @V-Tom mentioned. Just my observation, for what it’s worth.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Sometimes we do a hard delete or soft delete, I may have by accident and by muscle memory performed a hard delete.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Went back and looked at the aforementioned post, it was indeed a soft delete not a hard delete. Perhaps only premium members can see comments made by a mod or that a post has been "visibly deleted", can anyone care to verify for future reference?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, I can verify the OP's post has vanished without any trace. I know this because last night I was going to PM the seller about the boots to see if he'd accept an offer. Shipping anything to Canada sucks. Anyway, when I was going to PM, I saw a new post advising he had a PM incoming. Oh well, you snooze, you lose. No problem. I then scrolled up looking for the OP's post offering up the info about the online seller of the same boots. Gone. Not a trace. No Mod notice, either. So, I searched my browser history and found the link (I did click on it before the post was deleted - luckily). I found it and now have it bookmarked.

Unless deleting posts is a full time job for mods, would it really be asking too much for the poster to be advised his post was deleted and why? A one-sentence PM would be enough.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears my title was partially over-dramatic and the delete was partial rather than total - not really the point of the thread but whatever. I still don't see it, don't need to see it. I took another look at the rules and I do admit there is indication in the comments to the 8 primary rules that we are not supposed to discuss the price which makes me guilty to the furthest extend without any doubt. I hope everybody memorizes all the end user agreements on every site they enter. In general I'd actually support that rule, makes sense if made straight and clear. Now, could that be stated any more clear? Probably. Is that a reason to delete entire message that contains also an answer to the question asked by a potential (or actual by now) buyer? There is the edit at will allowed too, mod could just blank the part of the message referring to the price. Would it hurt to notify interested member about the edit or delete being made? How am i supposed to know there was anything wrong about it or that the action was taken?

I don't try to attack anybody here, all I do is to try to understand how it works around here and maybe give a bit of a feedback to those that decide because for someone like me, new to this particular site, it isn't so obvious as it may seem like.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
"Still got a smile."

I find it's best to wear your silly hat as often as possible. Way too much unnecessary seriousness in the world.
Motorcycles are supposed to be fun. So should social exchanges. I always have a smile when I playing on my Wee!

Offwego, keep at it. I made a few faux pax when I first became a member. Now seeing responses from familiar names seems like responses from friends even though we haven't met yet.
You'll catch on to the guys that fill in for Grey Wolf when knowledge is requested.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I never bother to read the rules on any of these sites because they are typically common sense. If I felt the seller could have used some advice about their too high price, I might PM him or I might just think....oh well....buyer beware.

If I knew of a site that had great deals on gear.....it would be kind of crappy to post it on a for sale thread somebody else posted, on said gear. It might have been better and reach a far larger audience, to just start a thread titled.......check out this gear place.

If I was a mod, I would delete, give no explanation, and move on. Then waste my time later if my delete generated a PM from somebody.

I have been spanked a few times over on ADVRider because some light weight narcs on a post of mine that ruffled their feathers. When I really cared I just PMd a mod. No need for me to dirty up a place with my laundry.

I have Moderated a site for a while and decided that what I got paid......nothing......just wasn't worth the hassle. THANK YOU TO ALL OUR MODERATORS.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Unlike the volunteers that man the gates at our State Parks, the moderators here are worth their weight in Shell Rotella. It's kinda golden....

Some sites, the moderators have even been removed from the rolls for some odd reason. Not an easy task.

Oh, one one site, there is no conversation on the for Sale section, no feed back of any kind. You post for sale and it's handled by PM.
That is no where near as fun as here.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
It appears my title was partially over-dramatic and the delete was partial rather than total - not really the point of the thread but whatever. I still don't see it, don't need to see it. I took another look at the rules and I do admit there is indication in the comments to the 8 primary rules that we are not supposed to discuss the price which makes me guilty to the furthest extend without any doubt. I hope everybody memorizes all the end user agreements on every site they enter. In general I'd actually support that rule, makes sense if made straight and clear. Now, could that be stated any more clear? Probably. Is that a reason to delete entire message that contains also an answer to the question asked by a potential (or actual by now) buyer? There is the edit at will allowed too, mod could just blank the part of the message referring to the price. Would it hurt to notify interested member about the edit or delete being made? How am i supposed to know there was anything wrong about it or that the action was taken?

I don't try to attack anybody here, all I do is to try to understand how it works around here and maybe give a bit of a feedback to those that decide because for someone like me, new to this particular site, it isn't so obvious as it may seem like.
I'm glad that you started this post, that is what this section is for. We mods do a lot of housekeeping everyday which likely goes unnoticed for the most part, sometimes it's reported posts but most the time it is what we find on our own. I am still unsure as to why the post deletion isn't visible to all members, we are also given the voluntary option of commenting on why we deleted the post, which we are typically very good at doing. We give a deletion reason instead of sending out PM's every single instance, and sometimes the poster shoots us a PM asking why, we are overall pretty good about responding to PM's from members for any reasons. We are not heavy handed moderators at all, the overall crowd here isn't one that needs/requires much of that. :smile2: Premium members do have more options for sure in terms of editing, posting, PM box size, and perhaps what is visible to see on the forum. I'll ask VS admins what the scoop is on why soft deleted posts "with deletion comments" are not visible to all members.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,148 Posts
Rules don't get read much. But if you have been around forums for a long time you have run into this. Forums that have allowed comments on price seem to have a LOT more bad feelings come from it! While the OP here seemed a bit put off by the event he described, I think going back and reading the rules at least helps to understand that he was NOT singled out or discriminated against. I hope that eases the OP's opinion of things!

Recently changed, one of the forums I have been on for close to 15 years used to only allow posts on the classified to appear AFTER a mod looked it over and approved it. Reasons were that a price was REQUIRED only with some other rules. You were not allowed to post to an add, had to be done through pm. A bit too tight for some, and it was changed. But never a ruffled a feather. I have also been on sites where the pricing comments were allowed. Too often that DOES ramp up to ruffled feathers.

Yes, there are prices too high posted. Or way below market price. But the OP will figure that out. Or not. But that should be sacred ground on forums. Besides, like P.T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born everyday"! I have seen used stuff sell on ebay for a higher cost than ordering new would cost.

Yes, deleting the post was the right thing to do. But I know for a fact that if you pm a mod and have a good case they will listen and do the right thing. There is a bigger picture here, editing and housekeeping is 90% behind the scenes. Spending 10 minutes on every detail that comes up isn't an option.

·
Vendor
4,685 Posts
The OP's point (we have talked) was that there was no notification to him that his post was deleted. Perhaps someone should suggest that in the new site format (coming soon) that when a post is deleted by a mod that an automatic notification goes to the person who posted it. No work after the code is written.

V-Tom?

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Were everyone having the ability to see the moderator notes given for said post deletion, then nothing further would be needed by anyone or done automatically. I am still waiting to hear back from premium members, whether or not they can see "soft deleted" posts with Mod reasons for deletion. I will reach out to VS Admin for clarification, as I have no idea what members see since I have been a Mod during most my tenure here. My gut tells me that premium or supporting members see these deletion postings with Mod notes, otherwise it's the other member levels which do not see them. There are still some site bugs, so it could be that as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts