StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rear ender at 10 am, in clear weather, on the interstate. The motorcycle rear ended an SUV stopped in a line of cars due to a crash ahead. The rider died.

A young woman was killed Monday morning when her speeding motorcycle rear-ended an SUV on Interstate 5....a car had spun out earlier, hitting the left guardrail, causing a traffic slowdown and backup to form on the southbound lanes of the freeway. The motorcyclist, on a Honda touring cycle, was traveling at a speed too fast for conditions as she approached the backup in the southbound lanes of I-5. She slammed into the back of a VW Touareg that had either stopped or slowed for the backup, said Trooper Cliff Pratt. The motorcycle burst into flames and hit the pavement after the crash.
Woman killed in motorcycle crash on I-5 near Smokey Pt. | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Stay alert to conditions. Watch in front, watch from side to side, and use your mirrors. The greatest safety devices are your eyes and your brain. Use them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A sobering reminder that we have to be alert at all times.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I passed by a wreck on our super-busy interstate (I-25) last week on the way to get my new tires mounted. It's a 6 lane spot where it happened and 3 lanes were shut down. I was on my bike so I got a pretty good look passing by and it was a white Sportster and a black Jeep. The guy had shorts on and a t-shirt (and I'm sure no helmet since it was a Harley) and there were about 6 paramedics trying to stabilize him and load him up.

It scared the holy crap out of me.

After passing the wreck all the cars flew past me racing back up to 80 mph right off the bat. I guess it didn't phase them at all. :furious:

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Some folks don't use the 12 second rule when driving/riding. Look as far ahead as you can to avoid those up close and personal moments.
If you can't see around a corner, should you be accelerating or maintaining the same speed?
Doh!

·
Registered
58 Posts
And be sure to stay on your rearviews so you don't end up at the opposite end. Watched a guy stopped on a bike get rear ended by a texting driver a few years back. It wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had a close friend killed when she and her boyfriend stopped at a red light. They were hit from behind by a drunk (2pm clear weather) doing approx. 65 miles an hour. The rider (my friends boyfriend) broke his lower back and is a paraplegic. She came off the bike and through the windshield of the drunks vehicle. All of us had been begging them to wear helmets, but they were not wearing them the day of the accident. She died from a closed head injury that the docs said she would have survived if she had been wearing a helmet, any helmet is what the doc said at Vanderbilt Trauma.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I cannot for the life of me imagine riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Why on earth would you do that too yourselfe!?! As a motorcyclist you`ll allways come out on the loosing end in an accident so you have to take every precaution you can. Helmet, proper padded suit and everything that comes with it. I rather be swetty than skinned.
I see there is a discussion on another forum that talks about laws vs choice. Some people claim that its their own right to choose not to wear a helmet since its their life. Ok, what about the life of the people you leave behind when you die? Or the other drivers that has to see your brains spread across the road after you crash? Thats gonna leave a mark. And the paramedics that have to spend precious time saving your life thats hanging by a thread after you didnt wear a helmet when they could be saving some poor kid or some innocent pedestrian hit by a drunk driver. The consequenses are huge.

Just wear a helmet. If not for yourselfe then for your family or the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
It goes to show, you can be a good rider but take your mind off the game for a few seconds and you are DONE.

Helmet, sure...same with the gear. But the main thing was somebody was not thinking about riding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree... I ride sometimes to help me clear my mind, but you still have to be in 110% control all the time (can't dwell on problems when your riding). Looking, listening, scanning, finger on the brake... all the time.

It goes to show, you can be a good rider but take your mind off the game for a few seconds and you are DONE.

Helmet, sure...same with the gear. But the main thing was somebody was not thinking about riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cannot for the life of me imagine riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Why on earth would you do that too yourselfe!?! As a motorcyclist you`ll allways come out on the loosing end in an accident so you have to take every precaution you can. Helmet, proper padded suit and everything that comes with it. I rather be swetty than skinned.
I see there is a discussion on another forum that talks about laws vs choice. Some people claim that its their own right to choose not to wear a helmet since its their life. Ok, what about the life of the people you leave behind when you die? Or the other drivers that has to see your brains spread across the road after you crash? Thats gonna leave a mark. And the paramedics that have to spend precious time saving your life thats hanging by a thread after you didnt wear a helmet when they could be saving some poor kid or some innocent pedestrian hit by a drunk driver. The consequenses are huge.

Just wear a helmet. If not for yourselfe then for your family or the rest of us.
Too right, here in the UK it's a legal requirement. Most of Europe too. Last year in France a guy was killed at a "no helmets" protest because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Some people are determined to take themselves out of the gene pool.

For my part not long after I started riding I crashed at 50mph on a right hander; my fault the back end slipped and I panicked. I grabbed the front brake, the bike stood up and clipped the outside curb and I went over the bars. My bike and my gear were write offs (the bike hit a signpost) but bar 2 broken ribs and a moderately busted knee I was fine, and back on a bike 3 weeks later. I keep the gear and my lid (complete with cracked visor and gouged shell) hanging in my garage as a reminder not to get too cocky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It may be because I have been only riding on the road for less than a year, but I could not imagine riding without my protective gear. Even though it takes some extra time; in a strange way I actually like going through the ritual of donning the body armor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why do people not wear helmets/safety gear/etc? Because it's their "right" not to. So many riders around here where I live seem to share that thought...it is probably just coincidental that the name their bikes share the first letters H-D... even a lot of the sportbike riders around here will least wear a helmet.

Before he died (non-bike related accident) a friend of mine tried to get me to join the local ABATE chapter. I took a pass. You read the chapters website...they are all about the "rights" they have (and want), but not much about the responsibilities that go with them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a little trail 70 when I was a youngster and one day when crossing the road to get back home a car t-boned the bike. I was lucky enough that the car hit the bike and not my leg. I was thrown off the bike and did a head slide about 15 feet down the road on my helmet. I remember watching on-coming cars pulling off the road as I slid down it. The result was a black mark down the road and a nice scuff on my helmet where I slid. That spot was a little flatter than the rest of the helmet.

I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted long without that lid and I'll never get on a bike without it! Even a non-moving tip could get you in a way you whack your head on the road.

For me gearing up puts me in the state of mind to ride and ride safe. When riding I'm able to dedicate my complete attention to the road in a way my ADD brain just can't do in a cage. My wife feels safer with me on the bike, lol.

For this reason I'll never hook up tunes to listen to while riding even though I'm a musician and pretty much surround myself with music at every available opportunity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of my Army buddies just got rear ended on his bike by the stereotypical old Asian lady during his daily commute in LA.

We always had a saying "Complacency kills". It's true, especially on a bike.

He got away with some bumps and bruises but was overall ok thankfully. Both sides learned some valuable lessons.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't have a ton of road experience but one thing I have learned---if i'm not mentally in the game one day or not feeling well then I don't get on my bike. Clear judgment and focus is part of the protective gear in my opinion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a little trail 70 when I was a youngster and one day when crossing the road to get back home a car t-boned the bike...

Teknik... your nickname rings a bell. Did you ever spend any time on the rswarrior forum? :confused:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Why do people not wear helmets/safety gear/etc? Because it's their "right" not to. So many riders around here where I live seem to share that thought...it is probably just coincidental that the name their bikes share the first letters H-D... even a lot of the sportbike riders around here will least wear a helmet.

Before he died (non-bike related accident) a friend of mine tried to get me to join the local ABATE chapter. I took a pass. You read the chapters website...they are all about the "rights" they have (and want), but not much about the responsibilities that go with them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I witnessed the same thing last year when riding the Ozarks with me Sweepea and friend/wife on their VTX. We all wore lids even though Arkansas is a no-helmet required state. Most, but not all, H-D riders were helmetless. Didn't see a single Beemer rider without a lid and those guys wore armor as well in the heat of May. Most sport bikers wore lids too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts