StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I am really disappointed in with my new V2 is the inaccuracy of the speedometer and the air temperature gage. I understand the stupid reasoning of following the dang lawyers by overstating the speedometer (although I strongly disagree) but the air temperature gage I don't understand. My air temperature gage is a good 6ºF over the actual temperatures and I have checked it against posted temperatures and against gages on bikes I have had a great deal of experience with and know they are very close. How hard is it to make an accurate temperature gage? Mine is worthless and a total waste. I guess I'll have to go buy a cheap one that works, from Walmart, and stick it on the bike.

I don't suppose there is any way to fix the gage?

Maybe the Suzuki lawyers think that if they tell us it is warm outside, we won't actually freeze to death and they can avoid a law suit!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Re the gauge, if it is the intake air temp it might be ordinarily warmer than actual air temp. In which case, why bother showing it? This was how it worked on my Buell. Waste of time. Only the ecu needs to know that to compensate fuel adjustment. Does it decrease in temp the faster you go and then rocket up if you have to stop, say at the lights?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The intake air temperature is the air temp above the road surface, so it will not be the same as air temperatures measured at other locations. Expect high variability - that is why it is a major input to the fuel admission calculation. The IAT input drives the dash guage.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The IAT input drives the dash gauge.
That's highly unlikely. The intake air temperature sensor is part of the fuel injection system. It's way more likely the Vee2 has an ambient air temperature sensor like the Glee does.

·
Registered
327 Posts
First of all, isn't the faulty temperature a warranty issue (it was on some pickups I know and got a fix). Second, locate the temperature sensor, it may be inside a fairing that seeing other heat from the rad or engine, as one of my bikes does. Perhaps it can be moved to where you know there is ambient airflow or perhaps run a piece of tubing to it that will direct ambient air there.

Can't help you with the speedo..... don't know if it's a legal thing or not, as most bikes have this 'error' factor to compensate for possible tires you might mount..... I hear the new Super Tenere is quite accurate.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It states directly in the manual to drive the bike for stated amount of time before reading the temp, it is not faulty, you just did not read the instructions.....

Mine is very accurate after riding for 5 minutes or so.
The spedo on the other hand.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
mine is highly accurate, it reads sometime 100+ after a ride and sitting in the hot garage but after riding a few miles back to normal, read the manual, clearly indicated.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I fixed the speedo on my Glee w/ a SpeedoDRD. Easy install and you can adjust the speedo input as needed. Speedos that read high are common on motorcycles. 6-8% high is the usual.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, so the new model has an inaccurate air temp gauge in addition to the previous model's inaccurate speedo and inaccurate fuel gauge as well? Progress!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I fixed the speedo on my Glee w/ a SpeedoDRD. Easy install and you can adjust the speedo input as needed. Speedos that read high are common on motorcycles. 6-8% high is the usual.
Same. Recommend. Might be a different fitment for the new one?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read the instructions

It states directly in the manual to drive the bike for stated amount of time before reading the temp, it is not faulty, you just did not read the instructions.....

Mine is very accurate after riding for 5 minutes or so.
The spedo on the other hand.....
I read the instructions and this is not my first bike with a air temperature gage, I had a Goldwing 1800 that I drove over 100,000 miles. The Goldwing was spot on. I can drive my V2 all day and it is still way over. On my '08 Vee, In installed my own and it was right on with the Goldwing. So, something is not right here.

I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can do anything with it. It may have a bad sensor or may have the pickup in the wrong position. However, when it is dead cold in the garage, it reads way higher than two thermometers I have in the garage, even when I set one right on the bike.

Thanks for the input.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Typical reports I've seen as well as my own experience indicate the thermometer reads high by around 5 degrees F. The aftermarket one on my Wee did the same thing so I'm used to the correction factor. I put a Raceratb gauge front on the Wee and a SpeedoDRD on the Glee since the high speedos bugged me. My voltmeter reads 0.6V low. That and the thermometer don't bug me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Correct. I checked the service manual. There is an Ambient Air Temperature (ATT) sensor on the right hand side behind the 'right side cowling'. The output goes directly to the instrument cluster. There are test procedures for the freeze warning and for the ambient temperature reading. The dealer should look at pages 9C-9 and 9C-10 of the manual. If the freeze warning does not operate correctly the entire instrument cluster must be replaced. The ATT sensor can be replaced if its' output is off spec.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wouldn't mind if my temp gauge read low by a fixed amount. But it varies (yes, this is after riding for some miles, and allowing it to adjust vis-a-vis the manual), by 4-8°F, and there's no common denominator. Varies if it it's warm out, cold out, daytime, nighttime, direct sun, cloudy, etc.

But, the *real* frustrating bit, was buying an expensive handlebar mounted Marlin thermo, when I got fed up with the stock air temp gauge, and the Marlin had an even *higher* margin of error...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm happy with the bike just the way it is, but then again I don't yell at kids for walking across my Lawn either :yikes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts