Votes: 11 2.9%
  • After 1996

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I think that late 1950's peak shows the post WW2 boom whose young'ins grew up around bikes, especially those of the slightly older guys born right after the war. My example is my older brother's group, born in '46. That group might be the largest, but some are probably done riding now. In 10 years, the '60s-born will be the largest. Think about it; what was the last demographic that had access to mini-bikes and such like we had?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Scary thing is that while I'm sure there's a slight bias towards 'older' in the DL riders I don't see it being a lot different across the range of bikes available. Most of the riders I seem to meet are mature age (being polite), with the possible exception of "L" category bikes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My Dad was all about the bikes in the UK, it was affordable. Pack the family in the side car and off to the grass track races. Once we moved to Canada he got his first real car. When we were old enough all three sons went straight for the bikes. All late 50's early 60's kids. Never forget my speed demon 3 1/2 horse briggs and stratton. No turning back after that.

·
Registered
22,259 Posts
Officially insured by Medicare as of today, not cheap either, by the time I pay Part B, Part D and Part F premiums, to get similar benefits as I have now, I'm gonna pay more, and have to deal with 3 different claims agents instead of 1

and this is suppose to be beneficial to the aging how?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Good threads fun to read over. Being the first year of the baby boomers 1946 I sure feel the need for my ride fix every day. Hope it don't burn out. The market is so flat now and way too many big bikes I need to sell. May be it will turn around come spring? May and June is when I sell the most.Light is were I see all my future buys going.With two DLs now I may never buy another bike if my knees hold out. If not a Burgman 250 may even do :grin2: Haul all my meds and depends back from the drug store in that big space under the seat at 85 sounds like a plan. Sure glad we big group of old farts that really do still ride met over the last ten years. EagleEye fit right in when he made a stop as right age bracket and just as handsome! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Good threads fun to read over. Being the first year of the baby boomers 1946 I sure feel the need for my ride fix every day. Hope it don't burn out. The market is so flat now and way too many big bikes I need to sell. May be it will turn around come spring? May and June is when I sell the most.Light is were I see all my future buys going.With two DLs now I may never buy another bike if my knees hold out. If not a Burgman 250 may even do :grin2: Haul all my meds and depends back from the drug store in that big space under the seat at 85 sounds like a plan. Sure glad we big group of old farts that really do still ride met over the last ten years. EagleEye fit right in when he made a stop as right age bracket and just as handsome! :grin2:
hahaha, I like that. Yeah, I'm thinking of selling off some of my bikes next spring also, but keeping the vstrom and RSTD. Yeah, and probably the 65 T120. And maybe the xs650 bobber. So much for selling.:wink2:
You mentioned being born the first year of the boomers, well I was born the 1st DAY of the boomers.:surprise:
Looking forward to another long trip out west next summer.
Old Time Rider has some good riding buddies for sure.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Scary thing is that while I'm sure there's a slight bias towards 'older' in the DL riders I don't see it being a lot different across the range of bikes available. Most of the riders I seem to meet are mature age (being polite), with the possible exception of "L" category bikes.
What's an "L" category bike?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
"L" == Learner. It's called LAMS here in Oz, Learner Approved Motorcycle ?. I'm a Kiwi, you used to have to have an L sticker on the plate which is where the L came from but most countries have some sort of graduated scale for learner riders (Maximum power, maximum power to weight ratio). AFAIK most of the US doesn't have similar rules.

And another just a comment. The LAMS bike thing is policed fairly heavily here, the equivalent rules for cars in some states for learner drivers (no turbos, no V8's) is pretty much ignored unless you've already pissed them off. It's an unfair world.

When I started riding a lot of people started on second hand bikes because the license was easy to get and second hand bikes were cheap to buy and run. As the years have passed, getting a bike license has got disproportionately harder to get compared to a car license. I'll concede bikes weren't generally as powerful back then, but generally the crappy handling brakes and suspension probably made them more dangerous than now. I don't think that's helped safety but it has reduced the number of new riders.

i.e. the infamous Kawasaki H2 had about the same power as a DL650 and I'm sure has a far higher kill ratio.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Kaw H2 was one of the few bikes I never wanted. Handled so bad,drink gas worse than a boss hoss:grin2:,Fouled plugs so bad only bike I can recall that had a holder on some for three spare plugs! Plus not a big fan of two stroke street bikes. At the strip when running against them they were so light did good but burnt middle cly more than they should have and it no bar they looked at the sky too much!:grin2:
Lams...Ky. took the helmet law back off around 25 years ago but riders under 18 and less than a year riding of any age are to have them.Never saw a ticket for any. Riding in the fund raisers or toy runs where intersections are blocked and leads and haulers behine for any sick or fall over riders. I have just about stopped them all together.If a good cause may just give the fee and leave.They draw all these Hardley riders and evey 35mph cruve that you can take at 45 so easy you see them with bright brake lights and fighting the bars like a cow boy throwing down a bull! No counter and none took a class of any kind.This all doing 10 below speed limit on the entire run!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like I'm in the biggest age group (around 60 years old), and I'm a little surprised to see that this is such an old fart's bike. It makes sense--the bike is suited to older-guy riding: it's comfortable, handles well, goes fast enough to kill you, and can be had cheap.

BTW, being on the young side in the spread doesn't mean you're making good decisions earlier in life than us old guys; it just means you're smarter than most of your peers. Congrats! --and condolences for being born in one of the knucklehead generations. While most of the kids are riding crotch rockets or hipster retro bikes, you've figured out a better alternative. And obviously you don't care that much about looks, or you'd have a cooler bike....
I think my bike is pretty. ;)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Just for fun, I took the results so far (with 300 respondents). Took the middle year for each interval (and used 1937 for our two elder statesmen) to figure out the average/mean of the results. Turns out it's 1963, which happens to be my birth year.

The median's also in the 1962-68 group, towards the lower end.

So on average, we're a bunch of old farts, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Eight of us old coots at our AM meet today and two of us rode in at 25 degrees. The kid is 64 and me 71 but he was in town and used his elc. gear. I have not put mine hook up on any of my bikes yet this year.My mittens and thin heat linners work good for the 40 miles rode this AM. I will hook it up soon if over 50 miles in below 25 a need ride.My BP meds started at 69 really make me get cold so much faster now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Eight of us old coots at our AM meet today and two of us rode in at 25 degrees. The kid is 64 and me 71 but he was in town and used his elc. gear. I have not put mine hook up on any of my bikes yet this year.My mittens and thin heat linners work good for the 40 miles rode this AM. I will hook it up soon if over 50 miles in below 25 a need ride.My BP meds started at 69 really make me get cold so much faster now.
The wife hadn't had a chance to ride the new DL1000 so yesterday at -5C which is 23F I asked if she was up for a run to town. Much to my surprise she said yes. She got called hard core by some people in Perth. She liked that. Gloves didn't cut it for me though. BP meds for me too, left hand froze right up. Thats ok they gave me plenty of pain meds to hahahahaha....... Both in our mid 50's and no signs of slowing down.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My wife rode behind me one time around 20 years ago so was 50 I guess when it was 39degrees. She still is mad at me about it! We were on my 93 FLST-N with a middle size shield so not bad at all.Now it must be perfect.She just took a few rides with me this year on the RoadStar all at around 80 degrees.
She will not even get on the Vstrom and thinks its the most ugly of over 30 motorcycles owned.As she no longer tours the Vstrom has been my Tour bike since 012.Big bikes have not been out of state since then.:smile2:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sue was surprised at how comfortable the DL was. Said it may even have been better than the Corbin on the 97 Bandit. She loves the Bandit so that was hard to say. Did miss the snap of the inline 4 though. It just screams even two up the DL not so much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
interesting post. Most are older than me

41 - 58 of 58 Posts