• After 1996

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
All I can think of is Tapatalk doesn't handle polls properly. The motorcycle.com app shows the poll for a second, then drops to the last post. Scrolling up shows the poll again. I suspect it would stay on the poll if I hadn't already voted but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
"I wondered why you weren't moving"

It's usually the fetid smell that puts people off. But then again, when I'm out touring I'm only gonna see those folks for a few moments. 'Snot like I'm gonna spend the night in their garden.

"Married?"

Yup, 46 years. It just seems like 100.!:surprise:

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Thanks GW for creating the poll.

As #144 to post I'm in the majority and there looks to be an interesting Bell curve developing.

I'll be interested to see how it settles out.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Oldest rider award at the Fiesta rally, BMW So Cal, years ago. "If you want to win this, out live me!"
I think he's seriously dead by now so the rest of you have a chance.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The previous age poll in this forum was the nicest bell curve I could have imagined.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If we managed to get old, it's because we know how to ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As the 211th voter in the poll.........I see I'm in one of the four highest-number groups here. My kids tell me I'm 'old' on a regular basis. Compared to the puppies at work I'm starting to feel like (and be referred to as) an obsolete model...:var_30:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seems I'm one of the younger folks here. Good to see I make good decisions earlier in life than most of you. :)
Looks like I'm in the biggest age group (around 60 years old), and I'm a little surprised to see that this is such an old fart's bike. It makes sense--the bike is suited to older-guy riding: it's comfortable, handles well, goes fast enough to kill you, and can be had cheap.

BTW, being on the young side in the spread doesn't mean you're making good decisions earlier in life than us old guys; it just means you're smarter than most of your peers. Congrats! --and condolences for being born in one of the knucklehead generations. While most of the kids are riding crotch rockets or hipster retro bikes, you've figured out a better alternative. And obviously you don't care that much about looks, or you'd have a cooler bike....

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Looks like I'm in the biggest age group (around 60 years old), and I'm a little surprised to see that this is such an old fart's bike. It makes sense--the bike is suited to older-guy riding: it's comfortable, handles well, goes fast enough to kill you, and can be had cheap.

BTW, being on the young side in the spread doesn't mean you're making good decisions earlier in life than us old guys; it just means you're smarter than most of your peers. Congrats! --and condolences for being born in one of the knucklehead generations. While most of the kids are riding crotch rockets or hipster retro bikes, you've figured out a better alternative. And obviously you don't care that much about looks, or you'd have a cooler bike....
Wait, I'd ride a crotch rocket if someone gave me one. Why not if you can? I saw an old gent once at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah (when it was called that) and he was on a BMW GS1200. The guy looked 70. Back home, he also had the BMW 1000 sport bike! Ya don't have to be a knucklehead to ride one:grin2:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If anything is becoming clear from this poll, it's that we need to recruit more folks born from '76 - '82.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is very typical of other forums I belong to. I am in the top of the curve! Us American riders are getting to be old geezers. I don't know if the millennial generation will ever turn to the motorcycle.
In my area when you drive by the high school you will see several hundred cars and trucks but maybe four bikes!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Where old riders go to rust.

My brother commented when I started looking at the Strom that I was one of the Geezers who wasn't willing to admit my age and go join the "road couch" crowd. To which I replied "Yeah So?" Judging from the leading age groups here there is some basis in fact. BUT as an alternative to the Winnebago bikes that riddle the streets these days the Strom will give whats left of your youth an outlet. Wish I had of looked into them when I was young enough to take full advantage of the bikes abilities. Being old isn't a problem, acting old is the problem.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A "sit up straight " bike isn't perceived as fast these days, so younger riders aren't attracted to them. In addition, younger riders don't usually need the comfort factor associated with sitting up straight. After you learn how to ride, I mean really learn how to ride, it's fun to give a lesson to kids on sport bikes who think they are fast.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Doesn't that curve partially follow the baby bubble of kids born in the late 50's and early 60's? At the same time wouldn't income and insurance costs tend to skew the numbers towards older people that have more disposable income and lower insurance costs?

..Tom

21 - 40 of 58 Posts