StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm currently in the market for my first Wee. Coming off 5 years of living in New York with no motorcycle. My wife and I just bought a house, so money is tight.

The question is this: Which of the three options do you do?
1.) Purchase a new 2011 wee ($7200-7500) and add hard bags, handgaurds, etc. 0% financing and a couple of Gs down makes this a doable payment.
2.) Purchase a 2008-2009 wee with ~10k miles on it for $4500 (there's one that RJSurfer has near Wilmington that looks cherry.
3.) Purchase a 2005-2009 with ~20-25k miles on it for $3500 (here's one on CL that looks okish. - CL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN

I'm leaning towards #3. I'd love some feedback gang.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you need to put anything down? Some noted on here they handed the dealer no cash, financed everything into the 60 month - zero interest loan.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nothing wrong with option 3, but I'd get whichever has ABS brakes. That is important to me. ABS became an option in '07 and standard in '12.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm currently in the market for my first Wee. Coming off 5 years of living in New York with no motorcycle. My wife and I just bought a house, so money is tight.

The question is this: Which of the three options do you do?
1.) Purchase a new 2011 wee ($7200-7500) and add hard bags, handgaurds, etc. 0% financing and a couple of Gs down makes this a doable payment.
2.) Purchase a 2008-2009 wee with ~10k miles on it for $4500 (there's one that RJSurfer has near Wilmington that looks cherry.
3.) Purchase a 2005-2009 with ~20-25k miles on it for $3500 (here's one on CL that looks okish. - CL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN

I'm leaning towards #3. I'd love some feedback gang.

After you have read all the feedback only you know what your "disposable" income is. This sounds like a personal financial decision to me and one not to be made lightly. If money is as tight as you mentioned, you may want to really think about holding off on the bike until you have the disposable income to purchase one. Just an observation :yes nod:

That being said, buy the 2012 Fox Orange and Farkle on!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Option 1 if your going to keep the bike for at least 5 years and or clock up lots of kms/miles and riding the latest model matters to you

Option 2 if your going to keep the bike for at least 3 years and or clock up lots of kms/miles are on a bit of a budget and dont care about riding the latest and greatest

Option 3 - if the bike has a good service history is unmolested and your annual mileage isnt going to be huge. I've bought a few used bikes over the years dont be put off by a well looked after used bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

This is super helpful, guys. have to wait another week before making a decision, and literally can't decide. Looks like option #3 is dropping lower since the dude on CL won't get back to me!

Thanks!
J

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The '12 is improved in enough areas that I wouldn't buy an '11. By the time you've upgraded the '11 to equal the '12, you'd probably be out more money.

Nothing at all wrong with a good older bike at its lower price. I'd rather pay cash for the older bike than spend more for the new one, even at free financing, if the older bike met my needs.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Another CL will emerge for #3

be patient

my 2007 with 20,000 miles for $4,400 in San Francisco was and is good value to me - it included SW Motech side racks and top rack (no boxes), Madstad bracket and after market windscreen, grip heaters, extra LED brake lites, bar risers (took em off)

its an easy bike to ride, and grows on you each time you ride it, it literally purrs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts