StromTrooper banner

In search of a top case and mounting system

1354 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Mrmax9
I've been reading a lot of luggage threads on Stromtrooper but haven't tracked down an answer to this -

Is there a strong, reliable, QUICK RELEASE mounting system that can work for any top case?

For example, would a Givi mounting system be adaptable to a Pelican or Seahorse top case?

I'm tending toward a Pelican or something similar in shape, rather than round tops which don't allow for gear on top. But I'd like to consider a Givi mounting system or something comparable that has quick release.

Has anyone tried to such a combination?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I ordered that unit yesterday and was notified today that several of the pieces of hardware are on back order and may take awhile to receive. And that got me thinking about alternative possibilities that may be just as good as the setup TT is selling.

Lots of riders get top boxes and just bolt them on their luggage rack. However, because I park my bike on NYC streets, I want to be able to remove the case quickly and easily.

So my question remains - can I hybridize a top case with a different mounting system that will assure quick release? I can't imagine it hasn't been done. But with what pieces?

· Registered
103 Posts
Actually, I ordered that unit yesterday and was notified today that several of the pieces of hardware are on back order and may take awhile to receive. And that got me thinking about alternative possibilities that may be just as good as the setup TT is selling.

Lots of riders get top boxes and just bolt them on their luggage rack. However, because I park my bike on NYC streets, I want to be able to remove the case quickly and easily.

So my question remains - can I hybridize a top case with a different mounting system that will assure quick release? I can't imagine it hasn't been done. But with what pieces?
I'm sure its not what you want, but I'll throw it out there anyway - - I use a T-Bag "Laconia" soft bag as my topcase. It is a rigid square in shape and beautifully made. It rests on the factory luggage rack and attaches to my Pirates Lair passenger backrest - all T-bags secure to a backrest. It comes on and off the bike in less than 20 seconds, has a handle and shoulder harness for transport, and holds my laptop and a lot of other stuff . . . . or a cooler with refreshments . . . . or a fulll face XL helmet. I do also have Givi 21 L side hardcases which usually stay on the bike, but I really like the combination of hard side cases and a soft topcase which comes completely off so easily. Of course you cant lock the soft luggage or secure it to the bike, but thats what you get for $123.00. Good Luck.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
csf - I like what I see with the Laconia. It's now got me thinking about the practicality of a passenger back rest (even though I never intend to carry a passenger). But if the bag is attached only at the back rest, doesn't it tend to bounce around at high speed?

Btw, I was just given the perfect size case an hour ago! I do mean perfect. And I do mean given. A 16"L x 14"W x 9"H DeWalt black case that must've been intended for something like a large circular saw. I could easily bolt it right onto the luggage rack, but I'm really hoping to discover a quick release locking system for it. Now that I have the case, the hunt intensifies!.

A back rest opens up new ways of thinking about attaching it. Thanks, csf!

· Registered
34 Posts
Psykledelic,

I don't have the Laconia, but a Nelson Rigg and in addition to sitting over the backrest, it has two pinch-tip buckle straps (one on each side of the outside edges of the pad) that keep it secured to the base mount. Additionally, I have a strap that runs horizontally beneath the luggage and mount from front to back to further secure it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.