StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks before leaving on a trip from Ohio to Wyoming, my on-the-bike voltmeter said I was in full discharge. Got back to the garage, shut it off, then tried to restart. "Click."
I figured a bad stator (Electrosport high-output) or rectifier. Got a new battery and a new rectifier from E/S & the voltmeter sez "OVERcharge!!!" put the OEM stator back in-same problem. Time to leave for Wy. Ordered a new OEM recifier from a dealer in Driggs, Idaho, just across the Wy border. (&^#*&[email protected](*&#)(&$!!!!! The bikes wouldn't fit on the trailer we'd borrowed (my riding buddy's '70 BMW 27hp 500cc flat twin is a bit strung-out at freeway speeds...).
Thirty minutes later, we had my sea kayak on the top of the Subaru & we're off, sans bikes. Had a great time paddling on the lakes in the Teton Mountains, went to a music festival in those mountains... Wish I was still there.
Got back, installed the rectifier I picked up in Idaho & the bike works great, again simply diagnosed by the voltmeter. I got my LED one from Aerostitch for $42. I would highly recommend to ANY Strom owner to install one of these!!! Oh-so-cheap insurance...
My original OEM rectifier had a bad diode, after 2 years with the E/S stator (I do NOT know if that E/S stator was the original problem, so don't blame it in your mind!). So did the "new" one from Electrosport. I'm going to test the E/S stator & if it's still good, reinstall it-it'll let me run all my lights, heated grips, GPS, extra tail/stop lights at the same time.
I do have to say that Electrosport Technical Support was GREAT through all this, guiding me through testing of the various products & facilitating shipping when needed. When I said that I needed a component the next day, on a late Friday afternoon, they made it happen without charging me an arm & a testicle for extra shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Good advice. I was checking out one that "Heavy" has on his bike. Looks great and seems to work well. I haven't bought anything in at least two weeks so I'm all over getting one. :D

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I second your praise.

Here's a mounting idea that I used that may be useful for you. I purchased a Digitalmeter voltmeter and mounted it into a block of wood, bedded and fastened to my left handguard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts