StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with a valve job and TBS.

Are there any tech days coming up?

I can work my way through a valve job, but would like someone to hold my hand. The TBS boggles my mind and super need help with that.

anyone willing to give me a hand? I'll buy the beer.

I would love a tech day if there is one in the next few months.

· Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Update your profile to show your year and model V-Strom. It makes a difference in how the TBS is done. Mileage would help to.

Don

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll probably host another one around the middle of September. Keep an eye out.
I'll keep my eyes peeled! Thanks.

Update your profile to show your year and model V-Strom. It makes a difference in how the TBS is done. Mileage would help to.

Don
Sorry. It's a 2k5 with 21k on the clock.

· Registered
2,581 Posts
Ok since it is a 2005, the TBS can be done without the dealer. I have the equipment, but haven't done one on a VStrom as mine is a 2007 and the dealer did it after I did my valves. You are in Mill Creek. There are two of us in Lynnwood who could help you out if you cannot wait until September. Do you have a garage, or would you need to bring the bike over the night before to make sure it is cool in the morning for doing the service?

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Have garage, but could easily come to you and leave the bike the night before. I'm mostly concerned with the TBS. The valves can wait for a tech day.

· Registered
2,581 Posts
Well if it is just a TBS, then the bike needs to be warmed up to operating temperature anyway, so, riding over the day of won't be a problem...Availability? My weekends are filling up, but I'm sure I could squeeze you in somewhere. :)

· Registered
7,576 Posts
I need help with a valve job....
I think you mean a check of the valve clearances. If any are out of spec, you'll need to do a valve clearance adjustment by changing the shims--I had to change one shim out of eight on my Strom. In olden days a valve job meant to remove the heads and regrind the valves and seats.

· Registered
2,581 Posts
I have the shim kit too from when I checked mine. If you are feeling adventurous we could do that first, then warm the bike up and do the TBS. will need most of the day if you do though. I can bring my stuff to your place. just let me know what you want done.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the shim kit too from when I checked mine. If you are feeling adventurous we could do that first, then warm the bike up and do the TBS. will need most of the day if you do though. I can bring my stuff to your place. just let me know what you want done.
TBS is most necessary. a valve clearance check would be awesome, but i don't want to take over your whole saturday. the TBS is the only thing holding me back from getting my dyno tune done.

I am more than happy to come to you. I'll even bring beverages and buy lunch.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, RedBean25 (Craig) and I (mostly Craig) got the throttle bodies synched....and the idle adjusted, it was way below what it needed to be... and the throttle cables adjusted.... and the secondaries adjusted....

A HUGE thank you to Craig and his expert knowledge and tools. Very helpful.

On with the pics!

gettin after it...

throttle bodies before the sync...

and after....

then I went home and flushed the clutch fluid...

the brakes looked the same.

After a quick trip to the grocery store (honey-do list), i got to mount my pelican 1550.

custom mounting system. very rare.

i applied some HP increasing stickers to the pelican and called it a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.