StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a V-strom 650 as a main mode of transportation. I love motorcycles and started out with a naked SV650, I loved it. I found a 2008 for a sweet price, the dealer doesn't slip in hidden fees either.

My question is:

Do you believe I can ride this bike to work/school year round with the right gear aside from the rare hurricane or tornado.

I want to ride 2 up with my wife she is 130lbs but I am 270lbs, is that just too much weight?

How much money should I expect to put out a year in maintenance? I live in an apartment so I will be limited in fixing anything serious.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
v strom

the load limit on a v strom is 500 lbs , so you would be 100 lbs under with the wife on the back , the first two years of ownership only cost a couple of oil changes . the third year would be a back tire and some spark plugs and radiator fluid + some brake fluid .

·
Premium Member
306 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the load limit on a v strom is 500 lbs , so you would be 100 lbs under with the wife on the back , the first two years of ownership only cost a couple of oil changes . the third year would be a back tire and some spark plugs and radiator fluid + some brake fluid .
What about valve or cam adjustments?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Valve check about 15,000 miles. How soon depends on how many miles you ride each year. :)

My K2 just turned 20,000 and I finally did the first check. All were barely OK at the low end of
the clearance range. I'm changing shims to put them middle-to-high end of the range. My
dealer wanted $220 plus cost of parts to do the job. YMMV.

Per posts on this and other forums, this may only have to be done once. Re-checking at 30k
and 40k shows little change on many bikes. Evidently, the initial wear is by far the greatest.

I don't believe you can beat a V-Strom for reliability.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I live in Hoston and ride my Wee prety much year round. I do not ride if its pouring rain or very high chance of rain as the Houston drives cant drive in rain so i don't want the added risk. I have had My bike for a little over a year and put about 11k on it. I have replaced both tires once, changed the oil about 4 times, checked the air filter and plugs both still looked clean so i elected not to replace them when i looked at them at 8k. I will replace airfilter at my next oil change though. I'm 245 and the wife is not as small as yours and the wee suites us just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts