StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 came with the Suzuki saddlebags. Wow, are they small. I'm looking for a solution without having to buy new brackets, etcetera. A deeper pair of lids would work or a larger set of bags that use the existing brackets. Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My 2016 came with the Suzuki saddlebags. Wow, are they small. I'm looking for a solution without having to buy new brackets, etcetera. A deeper pair of lids would work or a larger set of bags that use the existing brackets. Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is to modify the stock bags. If you know how to use resin and fiberglass mat and sheet you could make that work.

I use West Systems Epoxy a lot for projects like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I bought my bike, I was new to side bags, dirt roads, camping ect. And I liked the oem side bags until I started using them and realized they were really useless for anything more than a day trip.
After looking around for a while I settled on the TUSK large Aluminum Panniers, paired with moose racing racks. You can put a lot of gear in them, and loose a try bag at the same time. Moose sells racks for the Super Tenere. Which is where these Panniers will be on the side of after this season. That was my main reason for going with the Tusk/ Moose setup.
That and it makes mounting Tool Tubes Super easy.
J

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
without sounding like a beggar, you could sell them, to someone like me!

In all seriousness, i just got my 16, picking it up tonight and riding it home 1.5 hrs. Ive been looking at the oem suzuki bags, i like the compact size but not the price. I would sell and upgrade. There are plenty of people just getting in the game that are working their way up thru the accessory game. Selling offsets the cost of new

·
Registered
277 Posts
without sounding like a beggar, you could sell them, to someone like me!

In all seriousness, i just got my 16, picking it up tonight and riding it home 1.5 hrs. Ive been looking at the oem suzuki bags, i like the compact size but not the price. I would sell and upgrade. There are plenty of people just getting in the game that are working their way up thru the accessory game. Selling offsets the cost of new
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/410490-oem-cases-mounts-2015-dl1000.html

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you're set on keeping stock side cases, but want more space, your best bet is a large top box. Why not go that route? Cheaper than aftermarket side cases + hardware and with that setup combined, you can have > 110L of space.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Do you ride alone?

I personally use a top box and a 60L dry bag. Bonus: If you have enough stuff in it, the bag makes a fantastic back rest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess I'll stick with the OEM bags rather than spend $$ replacing them with brackets and such. I do have a pretty versatile and extremely waterproof drybag system useful on the seat and luggage rack from Twisted Throttle that does a good job albeit with a fairly elaborate web of straps. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Well, I guess I'll stick with the OEM bags rather than spend $$ replacing them with brackets and such. I do have a pretty versatile and extremely waterproof drybag system useful on the seat and luggage rack from Twisted Throttle that does a good job albeit with a fairly elaborate web of straps. Thanks for the input.

I've got the OEM bags on my V2. First tip over off-road bent the bracket on the foot peg. Not the steel part that has the bag mount thing but the aluminum it's bolted to. Didn't notice until I got home. Had a heck of a time bending it straight again!

That led me to consider aftermarket racks. I'm not a fan of hard luggage especially off-road. I had the PMR soft racks on my 650 but they aren't made for the V2. Something like those would be my preferred solution. Keeps the bags supported and have lots of tie down points.

I don't want to spend several hundred dollars at this point so will continue to use the OEM bags. Those in conjunction with a waterproof duffle over the seat meet my capacity needs. If I do break the OEMs I'll deal with it then.

BTW a bungie net inside the OEM bags helps a lot. Can stuff them pretty full that way.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
For the longest time, I was using the Walmart weather resistant motorcycle backpack to store the majority of my need to stay dry stuff. A sea to summit dry compression sack for my bulky dry equipment like sleeping bag and such. Add the other long equipment like the tent and fishing equipment and set them perpendicular across the luggage rack. Secured with ROK-Straps (the long / wide ones). Worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
"I wouldn't trust the monstrosity with any significant weight"

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "Now that's a top box." Hope you don't fill it with canned goods. Perhaps cotton candy or popcorn?

·
Registered
8 Posts
To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "Now that's a top box." Hope you don't fill it with canned goods. Perhaps cotton candy or popcorn?
Nah, the most it's ever seen is a few Denny's cheeseburgers and omelettes, maybe the occasional sub from Firehouse. I really want to try to load my 9 year old in it so I don't have to break out the truck just to take her to gymnastics, but I'm not thinking I will.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Youse, a real Dad. Bring the kid to school in style.:grin2:
A man after my son's heart. He'd take the daughter to school on a bicycle. The thought was the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts