StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wanted to share my impressions. Difference is slightly noticable, it is less revvy which is just what I was aiming , as I usually shift up at atound 5-6k rpm and recently even started shifting up two gears. As it looks now Im not going back to 15.
Just to clarify, I don't go offroad , and usually ride solo, although as it feels now, 16t should be fine with a passenger too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
This site will tell you everything you need to know about gearing changes.

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

On my 09 Wee I changed to a 14t, loved the change and got a fuel saving too.

Reactions: motox-dan and JonXX

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
In stock trim the Wee does not have enough horse power to push itself through the air. (don't know about the Glee)

A Wee will never reach redline, even with a 14t it can't get to redline.

By increasing the RPM's the motor is not working as hard to achieve the set speed and the throttle opening is often less.

If you check this site I don't of anybody that got a fuel saving by going up on the front sprocket.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Today we learn about pumping loss! :D

On my K3 Vee I went from stock (17/41) to 16/43 and suffered no appreciable loss in MPG.

Reactions: bobbyvstrom

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to do this, but not for any fuel savings. I want a more relaxed RPM at cruising speed, plus the damn speedo to be right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like high gearing if a bike has the power to pull it, and my stock K6 Vee seems to have enough power for the 17/41 gearing. I don't plan on doing much if any dirt road riding. I just put a power commander on it and now it feels much better at low speeds. On other bikes I've had I kept trying to up-shift to a 6th or 7th gear.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I did not do it to save fuel, I don't care what I pay for fuel because if I'm burning fuel I'm having fun.

The Strom is not very aerodynamic and has trouble pushing through the air but I was surprised to find I got a fuel saving of 0.5lt per 100ks and a increase in top speed of 5kph.

That tells me the bike was over geared and is very happy to pull the extra rpm's.

Jump on a pushbike with gears and take it for a ride, ride it in higher gears and lower gears at the same point, then see what gears are less work on your legs.

I have made gearing changes on just about every chian drive I have owned but my 2 Stroms are the first I have geared down not up.

Reactions: chicago

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
For optimum performance in 6th you should reach redline and top speed at the same time.

If you can't get to redline you are over geared & if you reach redline early you are under geared.

Even with a 14t the Wee can not reach redline, I doubt the Glee will with a 15t and no way will it with a 16t

"The fact I save fuel and get a better top speed tells me it is the right thing to do for my motor."

·
Registered
101 Posts
For optimum performance in 6th you should reach redline and top speed at the same time.

If you can't get to redline you are over geared & if you reach redline early you are under geared.

Even with a 14t the Wee can not reach redline, I doubt the Glee will with a 15t and no way will it with a 16t

"The fact I save fuel and get a better top speed tells me it is the right thing to do for my motor."
The top speed is already so high why would I want to achieve it?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts

The 650 doesn't have enough horsepower to hit redline in top gear regardless of gearing.

The 650 is geared low for acceleration that's why it's close to the 1000 in 0-60 times. Roll on times are another matter though!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went to a 16T last year and like it (overall). Lower RPM's at highway speed, it still retains good acceleration, and the speedometer is almost dead accurate. However, I'm noticing that my rear sprocket is about ready for replacement. The new sprocket I've ordered is +1 tooth in the rear (from 47 to 48). That should give me back just a little of the acceleration I lost in going to the 16T front, as well as making it slightly easier to tractor along a rough path in 1st. I'm hoping that'll be the perfect compromise for my type of riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I understand why people do it for RPM's but going up a tooth is the same as adding weight to your bike permanently.

Reactions: chicago

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seriously? You're worried about putting ounces of extra weight on a bike? I put a really heavy skid plate on mine and didn't notice anything.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts