StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. I have been lurking for several months now. Picked up a 2007 dl650a about a week ago and loving it. I have a list of accessories that I want. I seem to recall a tread that discussed the best and cheapest way to have parts mailed back to your home without a broker becoming involved. But I can't locate it. Any advice always helps.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Don't know about a thread, but have whatever you order sent United States Postal Service Air. No brokers involved. If the value of the item is high enough, say > $60.00 or so, Canada Post may ding you for a small handling fee, plus GST. Never use UPS.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I am fortunate enough to live right close to the Can/US border, and have a mail address just across the line.

Barring that, I fully agree, do NOT ever have anything shipped UPS (and probably any of the other couriers) as they will rob you blind with their bogus brokerage fees.

I once had a 45.00 part delivered via UPS and the brokerage fee was 40.00.

Use USPS or find someone just across the line you can send to.

Cheers!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks WeThereYet

US Postal Service is the one.

Patio:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RCACS

Great forum.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the info. i just ordered a corbin canyon from oneida suzuki and requested they don't use ups but the invoice shows ups. i'll try and call them tomorrow but there is a possiblity i can pick it up if it's actually shipped from oneida, ny, as i'm driving to rhode island before the long weekend.
mike
also on the farkles from the us thread, i just got my grip puppies from california in the mail with no extra charges. still waiting for my sheepskin from alaska so i'll pipe in after that. oh yeah, the grip puppies are amazing and simple. i don't get cramping anymore(i've got big hands)

·
Registered
278 Posts
crap. just read their terms and conditions and they don't allow pickup and they insist on ups. i'll let you know how much ups gouges me. i bought a folding spear(fishing) from florida for $40 and ups charged a $25 "brokerage"
fee so i'm a little nervous about this deal.
mike

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
For what it is worth, I have had things shipped from Amotostuff, Oneida Suzuki, HotGrips (in the USA), and Twisted Throttle. I have used their normal shipping. Everything came very quickly, no broker fees, no duties and no taxes.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
No taxes?

V-Tom, no taxes? Whoa, you got lucky. I've ordered from New Enough, AdvMotoStuff and MadStad. All came via US Postal Service/CanPost. Always got hit with PST and GST. Plus the occasional Can Post minimal handling fee.

USPS is the way to go. Most mail order places know to send to Canada via postal service. Apparently there are online forums specifically attacking the outrageous UPS (courier) charges, a friend tells me.

Re Grip Puppies. Cheap but shipping charge double the cost of the Puppies. Anyone have any different experience?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Drifter, here's my bill. i just got them 2 days ago.

==================================================================
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 GPSMALL Grip Puppies ™- Small. For bikes with 1.25" to 1.45" diameter grips. $8.20 Ship Date: 6/13/2007

Product Total: $8.20
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $2.50
Discount: $0.00
Surcharge: $0.00
Grand Total: $10.70
BalanceDue: $0.00

Thank you for doing business with us. Ride and be safe!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Drifter, here's my bill. i just got them 2 days ago.

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 GPSMALL Grip Puppies ™- Small. For bikes with 1.25" to 1.45" diameter grips. $8.20 Ship Date: 6/13/2007

Product Total: $8.20
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $2.50
Discount: $0.00
Surcharge: $0.00
Grand Total: $10.70
BalanceDue: $0.00

Thank you for doing business with us. Ride and be safe!
OK, I was obviously choosing the wrong retailer. I called Amotostuff earlier today and they want about $10 on top of the price to ship. :???: It's not Grip Puppy but something like it. I checked Google and found the California shop you ordered from (same price). Less than $5 to ship. So I ordered.

Cheers, Savvy.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I have stuff shipped to a mailbox place just south of the border. Drive down and pick it up and bring it back. No brokers involved.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ordered SW Motech mirror wideners from Twisted Throttle. They came quick, I signed for receipt and the UPS courier said "have a nice day". I was thinking "oh yea, no BS".

About a week later I got a bill from UPS for "brokerage fees" for $37 !!

So those $49usd parts came to about $100cdn pretty quick.

BEWARE

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Exactly why I won't order from companies that ship via FedX or UPS

I ordered SW Motech mirror wideners from Twisted Throttle. They came quick, I signed for receipt and the UPS courier said "have a nice day". I was thinking "oh yea, no BS".

About a week later I got a bill from UPS for "brokerage fees" for $37 !!

So those $49usd parts came to about $100cdn pretty quick.

BEWARE

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just got my sheepskin from alaska leather. it was shipped usps. value canadian at 53.42 + 3.21 gst + 4.27 pst + 5.00 handling fee. total extra fees were 12.48
not too bad.
mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh what a day. just go my corbin from ups. 40 brokerage and $23 tax
got to go right now!

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I appear to have been wrong. It looks like my work has been generously handling these costs for me.. I am sure they are going to appear on my Accounts Recieveable one of these days and I'll be shocked.

I do try to purchase from local sources whenever possible and as long as the prices are at least close to the US price.. and it amazes me at how often I can get total prices not too much more than US prices. My biggest challenge is that much off the time the farkels I want are either not availabe or not in stock in Canada or it seems like a big hassel getting the parts. The locals don't seem to stock a lot of the stuff we want on our Stroms and when you want something it seems to have to be ordered in after a great effort looking things up in the various catalogs.

In the future I'll try and make sure I use the USPS whenver possible, although I am just about farkeled out for a while. There doesn't seem to me to be a lot left that I want to buy.

..Tom

V-Tom, no taxes? Whoa, you got lucky. I've ordered from New Enough, AdvMotoStuff and MadStad. All came via US Postal Service/CanPost. Always got hit with PST and GST. Plus the occasional Can Post minimal handling fee.

USPS is the way to go. Most mail order places know to send to Canada via postal service. Apparently there are online forums specifically attacking the outrageous UPS (courier) charges, a friend tells me.

Re Grip Puppies. Cheap but shipping charge double the cost of the Puppies. Anyone have any different experience?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I just picked up my SW Motech skidplate and rad guard from Motor Sports World in Ottawa. 613-225-2892 ask for Charlie in parts. The parts actually cost less than I was originally quoted. The skidplate was $188 CDN and the rad guard was $97 CDN, even with taxes and the cost of fuel to go pick them up it was cheaper than ordering from Twisted Throttle and there were no hidden costs, exchange rates, or fees. It seems odd really, considering that Motor Sports World got the stuff from Twisted Throttle. Total time from ordering to delivery was 1 week.

SS

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wanted to try a motorcycle cooling bandana, but they didn't seem to be available in Canada. Found them at Lee Valley Tools for $9.99. ( http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&cat=2,42407&p=10286 ). Feels clammy, and seems to have to be turned slightly once in a while, but holds an amazing amount of water (the crystals swell up and the bandana goes round with ~1" diameter).

·
Registered
278 Posts
re: cooling bandana......doesn't seem like much use in a full face helmet but i like the idea.
mike

oh, around the neck, guess i should have checked the link before commenting

1 - 20 of 28 Posts