StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my name is mark and i'm thinking about buying a v-strom (shhhhhhh). i currently have a CBR1100XX outfitted for long rally touring, along with a KLR and some other odds and ends.

my question today is, does the strom have the same damn finicky clutch push-rod seal as my TL1000R? how about the other oil leak issues the TL line was so well known for?

nothing pisses me off more than a bike that leaks oil, especially when it's new.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mark - I don't know that much about the TL issues...I have an 02 strom pushing 12,000 miles that doesn't sweat cruising at 90 mph and doesn't bleed at or above 120. I haven't noticed or heard of any oil leak problems with Vstroms...

·
Registered
213 Posts
v-curious

I don't know about the TL issues either. I have over 20,000 miles on my '02 and the only problems have been a bad water pump shaft and clutch basket, both fixed under warranty. I have no oil leaks of any kind.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too.

I have an 02 Strom with just over 10,000 miles on the clock and haven't experienced any oil (or other fluid) leaks. Just me, but only every now and then when I'm getting petrol...or if I see/hear something really, really, really funny.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 03 with 10,000 miles has a very minor oil leak at the screw in plug on the generator cover.

This was caused by the tech during the first service when he nicked the seat for the o-ring. I really should fix it but during the summer there was a long wait for service and now it is cold and snowy.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20,000 miles and no issues with mine! I love it.
You need to add the V-Strom to your already cool collection. BTW, most of us have owned or own KLR's too.
I sold mine (second one) a few months after buying my V-Strom in 2002. I do miss it a bit though.
Brendan

·
Registered
9 Posts
No Oil leaks on my Vee

I bought a 2007 with 4000 miles on it after having an F650 for 3 years. I have never had any issue related to leakage or any other mechanical problem. I have had it for just over a year and now have 11,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was when I used Mobil 1 synthetic. It made the clutch slip. I replaced it with EBC pads and now use Rotella. No leaks after the replacement. You can't buy a better ride.

·
Registered
239 Posts
oil leaks

I have owned my wee for one year, and put 10k miles on so far. No oil leaks, but at least with a wee, if you run over 6k on the tach, you will "use" some oil. I run around the 6k zone, add a little oil every other tank or so. I use my center stand for fill-ups, check the glass, fill as needed, and roll!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Long-term reliability and trouble-free operation seem to be the expected fact of V-Strom ownership. My '07 has 16,000 mi and I have had no reliability issues. I even get huge tire life, chain life, and it has a personality that is easy to live with.

I traded a ZZR1200 for my Vee, and I admit I miss the incredible power that goes with a big roadburner, but I am getting older, and comfort/ergonomics is now more important than ever. After two happy years I am a big Strom enthusiast. The DL1000 goes plenty fast enough to keep my license in jeopardy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long-term reliability and trouble-free operation seem to be the expected fact of V-Strom ownership. My '07 has 16,000 mi and I have had no reliability issues. I even get huge tire life, chain life, and it has a personality that is easy to live with.

I traded a ZZR1200 for my Vee, and I admit I miss the incredible power that goes with a big roadburner, but I am getting older, and comfort/ergonomics is now more important than ever. After two happy years I am a big Strom enthusiast. The DL1000 goes plenty fast enough to keep my license in jeopardy.
define "long term reliability". 16k miles can be a walk in the park for some. States side folks tend to have a big gap in acceptance criteria for high miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts