Strom Trooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I planned out a pretty fun loop with a bit of some easy off pavement thrown into the mix. It covers lots of nice uncrowded, twisty, beautiful roads. There is 15 miles of dirt on the Scenic Mountain Loop Highway that is tame enough for a Honda Civic.
July 25th or 26th
All are welcome
Who's in.
https://goo.gl/maps/NFdaG

·
Registered
788 Posts
A scenic PNW ride

I planned out a pretty fun loop with a bit of some easy off pavement thrown into the mix. It covers lots of nice uncrowded, twisty, beautiful roads. There is 15 miles of dirt on the Scenic Mountain Loop Highway that is tame enough for a Honda Civic.
July 25th or 26th
All are welcome
Who's in.
https://goo.gl/maps/NFdaG
I'm probably good for that one. I can vouch for the segment going past Lake Roesiger. It's beautiful and curvy. My last trip over that 15+ mile unpaved section a few weeks ago was a bit disappointing. There were lots more potholes, and those can be hard to see with sunlight coming through the trees, dappling the surface. That segment is more fun in the morning than the afternoon because the terrain to the east tends to shade the road more then. This is not to disparage the route; it's just more fun when you can more readily dodge the potholes without slowing way down.

It would be good to arrange a couple more meet-points (or join-points) beyond the starting point on your route, for people not coming from Mill Creek. Perhaps the intersection of Hwy 203 and High Bridge Rd? An estimated departure time for those points would be good, too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably good for that one. I can vouch for the segment going past Lake Roesiger. It's beautiful and curvy. My last trip over that 15+ mile unpaved section a few weeks ago was a bit disappointing. There were lots more potholes, and those can be hard to see with sunlight coming through the trees, dappling the surface. That segment is more fun in the morning than the afternoon because the terrain to the east tends to shade the road more then. This is not to disparage the route; it's just more fun when you can more readily dodge the potholes without slowing way down.

It would be good to arrange a couple more meet-points (or join-points) beyond the starting point on your route, for people not coming from Mill Creek. Perhaps the intersection of Hwy 203 and High Bridge Rd? An estimated departure time for those points would be good, too.
Good to know about the potholes, thanks trepidator. Well we can skip that and maybe do something more like this. https://goo.gl/maps/LPZIg 25 miles of FS road:grin2:
I'm not sure if FS17 actually goes through, but I think it does. Chime in if anyone has any insight on this.
I'm open to suggestions.

As far as join points go, anyone that can not meet in Mill Creek, let me know and we will figure that out. We can also use https://www.glympse.com/, so you can see where we are and join us while en route.

KSU say between 9 and 10, whatever works best for everyone.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm up for either of those routes, but am putting my vote in early for doing on the Saturday....

·
Registered
788 Posts
potholes, schmotholes

Good to know about the potholes, thanks trepidator. Well we can skip that and maybe do something more like this. https://goo.gl/maps/LPZIg 25 miles of FS road:grin2:
KSU say between 9 and 10, whatever works best for everyone.
I do not mean to throw water on the route. Potholes are a fact of life on FS roads, and on much of that unpaved Mountain Loop segment, they (seem to) require slowing down below the 25 MPH speed limit in the afternoon (when they are harder to see from further away). I've gone that way 7-8 times, and enjoy it even with the potholes. It's not hard to dodge them if you're going slow enough to enjoy the scenery rather than having to eagle-eye the road every second.

Saturday is good for me, too, but either day can work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Potholes do not bother me, I was just thinking of others who might shy away from the ride because of them. Anyways, the other route will probably have better views.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Meet where & when?

·
Registered
46 Posts
that looks like a good run, i made that loop on my last trip out of state, ill see if i can free up some time to get out there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Woops.

I'm probably good for that one. ...
I was mentioning this plan to somebody over the phone when my better half explained what a cryptic scrawl on the fridge calendar means. It means I have to miss this ride in favor of seeing a dear niece become married in Oregon.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I too can not make it on Saturday. It's my sons birthday and he was originally going to work, but he ended up getting it off. So it goes without saying, I will be spending the day with him.
Sorry guys.
Maybe someone else can still lead this ride.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, the ride didn't happen(turned out to be rainy anyways). I won't have any free weekends until September. If you guys are able to get a ride going I suggest my mapped ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts