StromTrooper banner

I'm selling my Red DL-650

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  JetJaguar 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Congratulations on the new bike however :new_worthless: of the new one,

#6 ·
The Story and Pictures

I have a bad habit of looking for new bikes immediately after getting comfortable with my current ride. However this time the only bike that seemed more suited to me was the ABS version of the same bike I already had. I kept waiting for Suzuki to sell something other than black or silver ABS bikes in the US. Then I hit on the idea of buying a used ABS and switching out the plastic and tank on my 06 red DL-650.

I’ve been looking at used bikes for a few months and found several. Most were a good long distance from Florida and by the time I factored in a plane ticket and return ride costs it just did not seem like a good deal. Plus my personal life just does not allow time away from home right now.

In my searches I found that Jacksonville dealer had a new 09 ABS and a new 09 Orange Wee on the lot. They quoted me a price OTD of $9400 for the ABS bike. I said I would take the ABS bike, with the orange plastic and tank OTD for $8500 and no more. I just stuck to my price and insisted they deliver it to my door and they finally said yes. I was actually not expecting them to agree :eek:

It took several days to switch over all my farkles. I’ve still not added the GenMar risers because the brake lines are too short. The rest is in place and here is the new bike, fondly named : “Punkin”

In retrospect it would have been MUCH easier to switch out the tank and plastic than move all the "stuff" but it's done now and I've got a really cool new bike.

Winnie
&
"Punkin"

#14 ·
Congratulations, Winnie!

... the only bike that seemed more suited to me was the ABS version of the same bike I already had. ...
Second the motion. I recall addressing the question, "If you could have the bike of your dreams, what would it be?"

My instantaneous answer was, "It's the bike I ride!"

I am glad to learn you are happy with your new ride, and I am almost as pleased that someone else, the buyer of your red DL650, will be assimilated. Perhaps this is your insidious way of conquering the world, one biker at a time. If so, I heartily approve, and in a few years I will do the same.

I look forward to riding with you again soon. I must go to Canada at the end of July, and stay until mid-October. Meanwhile, the adventures continue.

Best wishes to Punkin!
Keith

#7 ·
Congrats on the new "great" lookin' bike. Wonderful choice. Now all of the collective want to see it in person. So when do we get the chance??????

Great to see you posting again and active. Hope all is well with you and your family.

:p

#8 ·
Hi Jim and the rest o f “the Collective”
I would love to get together for a ride and show off the new wheels.
I’m still buried in dealing with mom’s failing health. She is currently in a rehab center in Gainesville but her insurance is cutting her off in three weeks so we have been scrambling for the next stage of the process. We have settled on an independent living facility also in Gainesville and are now dealing with the various options and care givers to get her through the first few weeks of relocation. Between my sister and I she has help every evening but during the day we need someone to be with her at least for a while.
It’s all very mind boggling to keep all facets of this together. We still need to deal with cleaning out her house in Ocala and selling it and her car. For the next 2-3 months I know I will not have time to do much more than ride back and forth to work. As long as there are no major setbacks things should be in better shape by the time the weather gets nicer.
The next two weekends will involve sorting through mom’s stuff and deciding what to move to her new apartment.
Hope all are doing well and staying safe. If you know anyone that wants a well maintained Wee please send them my way!

#9 ·
I got the Tee-shirt.

Winnie, I know what you and your sister are facing with your Mom. My brother and I went through similar processes with my Mom several years ago. My heart goes out to you both as you face this process. If you ever get overwhelmed and need to vent to someone who has been there, done that, etc., you know how to get in touch. Call anytime.

We will ride with you soon I'm sure. Good folks are hard to keep down and you certainly fit the bill as one of the good folks. I really miss our rides and "eats" with all of the Strommers in FL. Gotta get together again when we can.

#10 ·
Sellin' Ole' red? GASP! :eek1:
So who does that leave here in the sunshine state with the fast red ones?

Lets see.....

Me
JetJaguar
Keith Faulkner

Who else?

You know you're just gonna confuse those poor horses and your lovable pooch riding up on an Orange one!

Just kidding! It looks great! I love the Orange and the Yellow.

#11 ·
Jim,
You boys will have to duke out the fastest red V-Strom :weapons_19: Of course Charlie still has claim to the fastest yellow and I’ll have to compete with Ironmorph for the fastest Orange.
Plunk is not really interested in motorcycles. Perhaps if I started carrying dog treats in my tank bag she would like them more. The horses however do completely understand that a V-Strom coming up the driveway at the end of the day signals supper. They have it all figured out.
Ride safe everyone. We need to plan a nice group ride when my “mom” issues have settled and the heat starts to abate. That’s like October? Sounds so very far away.:bom_bigcry:

:weapons_79:

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY TO EVERYONE

#13 ·
I still have my silver dl, it's Patricia that got the orange one. Although, I really wanted it, she would not trade me for it. The more I ride the dl, the better I like it. And yes, if you plan a ride we will do all we can to make it. I felt badly last time. As I recall , I had a family medical problem to attend.

Hope to see you soon!

Clem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.