StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, allow me to introduce myself...

After much obsession, I've just picked up a 2011 Wee.

This is my 2nd bike - 1st was KLX250s. I've been riding since last September (yeah, not very long) and have logged a couple of thousand miles on/off road, and I'm kinda old (40), and hopeful that the higher power of a 650 will meet nicely with my self preservation instinct, and the need to provide for my wife and 2 children ;)

FWIW... StromTrooper.com is one of the things that influenced me to buy a DL650

Thanks!
>>Brendan

·
Registered
702 Posts
B:

Welcome to the team. Glad to see you're finally in the game. It only gets better from here on out! :beatnik:

R

·
0 Posts
Kinda old ?????
I've got Tee shirts that are older than you.
Great choice of bike!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings, allow me to introduce myself...

After much obsession, I've just picked up a 2011 Wee.

This is my 2nd bike - 1st was KLX250s. I've been riding since last September (yeah, not very long) and have logged a couple of thousand miles on/off road, and I'm kinda old (40), and hopeful that the higher power of a 650 will meet nicely with my self preservation instinct, and the need to provide for my wife and 2 children ;)

FWIW... StromTrooper.com is one of the things that influenced me to buy a DL650

Thanks!
>>Brendan

Congratulations you are not old...LOL, I rode last week with a 75 year old, I am 58 next month been riding 40 years. The only regret you will have is that "Man why didn't I start sooner." Enjoy your new ride, you made a very good choice. The only advise I have is to insure you took the MSF course, practice a lot in a large parking lot and try to take a riding course ever couple of years.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Congrats, you will love the bike, I know my truck sits more (To the point I need to make a point to drive it once a week). Otherwise it all V-Strom for me.
Welcome as an active forum member too...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I wish I could remember when I was 40. Well, I do remember two things--I took longer to heal when I hurt myself, and I needed bifocals. When I turned 50 I didn't think I would heal when I hurt myself. When I turned 60...meh, just more downhill.... 65, Medicare card.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Before I even say hello, the first question I ask....did you put on crash bars?

Wee's are notorious for taking naps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations you are not old...LOL, I rode last week with a 75 year old, I am 58 next month been riding 40 years. The only regret you will have is that "Man why didn't I start sooner." Enjoy your new ride, you made a very good choice. The only advise I have is to insure you took the MSF course, practice a lot in a large parking lot and try to take a riding course ever couple of years.
yes, I already regret not starting when I had a bit more stamina, but I keep in pretty good shape, so I'm hopeful ;)

I did take both the street and dirt MSF courses prior to getting my M1, and I've already put in a couple of thousand miles on another bike, so I'm hopeful some of it will transfer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I even say hello, the first question I ask....did you put on crash bars?

Wee's are notorious for taking naps.
No bars yet, I was contemplating bars vs. frame sliders. What's the issue? Low speed maneuverability? I've spent 99% of my time on a top heavy, short rake KLX250s, and have scared the crap out of myself at low speeds many times.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome aboard.

I wish I could remember when I was 40. Well, I do remember two things--I took longer to heal when I hurt myself, and I needed bifocals. When I turned 50 I didn't think I would heal when I hurt myself. When I turned 60...meh, just more downhill.... 65, Medicare card.
Thanks for the preview ;)

It's nice to be at least in the middle of the age group here, most of the other forums I've been on seem to be chock full of young dirt maniacs and sport bike riders.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Welcome

Glad to have you aboard. Got my license last year at age 54. Got a Burgman 400 for a few months, and quickly realized I would not be happy unless I had a "real" bike. Bought a 2011 Black Wee in March and have not stopped riding- 5000 miles to date. You will love your new Wee. It is so easy to ride, and FUN! I am sure you will have no problem riding it. As others have said "just ride".

Now comes the fun- farkling. Everyone has their opinions-personalize your bike as you wish. I had 1" lowering links installed, Givi adjustable windshield, Twisted throttle electrified tank bag, Givi V46 top box, tank bra. Getting a new seat on Monday from Seat concepts, and grip puppies from California Sports. Have Fun!:hurray:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to have you aboard. Got my license last year at age 54. Got a Burgman 400 for a few months, and quickly realized I would not be happy unless I had a "real" bike. Bought a 2011 Black Wee in March and have not stopped riding- 5000 miles to date. You will love your new Wee. It is so easy to ride, and FUN! I am sure you will have no problem riding it. As others have said "just ride".

Now comes the fun- farkling. Everyone has their opinions-personalize your bike as you wish. I had 1" lowering links installed, Givi adjustable windshield, Twisted throttle electrified tank bag, Givi V46 top box, tank bra. Getting a new seat on Monday from Seat concepts, and grip puppies from California Sports. Have Fun!:hurray:
Thanks, yours is the kind of story that I find very inspiring. I'm picking it up 1st thing tomorrow morning, and am a bit anxious about the ride home. Of course, after I get home, I'll be riding it 140 miles to a family vacation into the Sierra (with my brother in law, a 25 year rider, as a backup rider ; ) )

I'm looking forward to the farkles - especially not having to wear a backpack anymore with my laptop.
Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The KLX250S is a great counterpart to the DL650. I have both.

Here's the Wee:

(Roosevelt Lake in Arizona a couple of weeks ago)

And the KLX:

(That was at Moab a few months ago)

44 years old? :yikes: Way too old to be riding motorcycles. :fineprint:

I'm 66.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Ranger Ron: I'm keeping the KLX, and really agree with your sentiment about how well the Wee and the KLX complement each other.

Did the 1st 100 miles today (aforementioned trip the Sierra was cancelled by my wife - she wasn't having any of my riding an unfamiliar bike into the mountains), most of them in twisties (around Lake Berryessa for those of you who know the area).

What a great bike, the power is awesome, and despite it's top heaviness, it flicks nicely (at least with my limited skills).

Don't think I'm an idiot with this part: My brother in law, who has been riding for about 25 years, rode it on Friday, and gave an ABS demonstration (locked up front on purpose at about 25 MPH), and it was pretty cool - really allowed him to bring it to a stop under complete control. If I conjure up the nads to have him do it again, I'll try to get some video.

My only complaint at this point is that I have a 29" inseam, and stopping still makes me nervous. I can tell that low speed stuff will be challenging for awhile. I did put about 10 CW turns on the rear preload, and removed the seat spacers. I also have a set of lowering links on order. Hopefully this will get better over time - My KLX is also quite tall, but since it's about 200Lbs lighter, It's much easier to stop it when it starts to lay over.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only 40-ish rider here who just picked up his BRC/license (and a Wee-Strom). Trying to get enough confidence on the roads around NoVa to try the DC commute.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad to see I'm not the only 40-ish rider here who just picked up his BRC/license (and a Wee-Strom). Trying to get enough confidence on the roads around NoVa to try the DC commute.
I'm with ya, friend ;) I'm also working up to doing my 50 mile (one direction) commute, up the mean streets of Highways 80, 37 and 101 out here in Northern California. While I do ride on the freeway somewhat regularly, the evening commute in particular seems pretty vicious, and if I had a nickel for every distracted driver I see on a daily basis, well... Since we can lane split out here, it's very tempting (although just getting into the carpool lane is probably good enough for me)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts