StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put down a deposit on a bike in Quebec that belonged to an older guy who had a collection going. He has some interesting bikes. Most specifically a Two stroke Yamaha Trials bike TY250 in excellent #1 condition and a near new 1981 Yamaha 920 with 50 miles on it. I'm picking up a Cdn spec 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca like in the photo

I used to own this bike back in the day and can see how much I still like it now. It seemed to do everything well when I owned it. Price of admission was a very reasonable $900 USD. Bike has some patina, but is stock original except for the seat cover.
If anyone is interested in the other bikes, I'll send a link.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
The 920 in two trims. One had shaft drive I think and the other had an enclosed chain. I've only seen one in captivity. That was in Oklahoma. The racier of the two i thought the design hearkened back to the Vincent's.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 920 in two trims. One had shaft drive I think and the other had an enclosed chain. I've only seen one in captivity. That was in Oklahoma. The racier of the two i thought the design hearkened back to the Vincent's.
It's a 920 with chain drive. I think he wants $4500 Cdn for that one.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the trials bike is a good buy.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Drove 550 km through some pretty lousy weather to pick up my new addition. It's not in as good shape as I was hoping from a paint point of view, but chrome and frame looks excellent. Tank is Rusty. The motor has been apart as the cylinders and head have been bead blasted (they should be Black). I doubt it did many miles after this service. The owner of the shop is an ex top level snowmobile and motorcycle racer who is in his mid 80s and quite a character. Used to be on the Bombardier Ski Doo team with Yvon Duhamel and from what I gather, Duhamel was not a gentleman when it came to snow mobile racing and people in his way.. Villeneuve also came out of this racing scene. He really didn't have much memory of when he got this bike or what it was. He was funny though. I was dealing with an intermediary who was helping him sell off some stock. He had a lot of flat track race bikes, which were not for sale.... Yet. Heading home tomorrow, with fingers crossed how she comes back to life. I'm in no rush with this bike. I love the looks and size of the Sea 650. Pretty sure with paint it will look new. I'm figuring it will cost $800 more than anticipated as I will probably repaint the whole bike. It looks vg in these photos, but the paint has issues the camera did not pick up. This purchase is somewhat nostalgic, so I won't put a price on it. Had a great dinner with my brother in Montreal too. We owned the last Seca together 50/50 almost 40 years ago.

The Biggest headlight in motorcycling

Oh the indignities of sitting 15-20 years in a window, then being dragged out into Quebec winter and sprayed down with a Salt slurry for the 550 Km home. (going down to minus 20c tonight)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Congrats. :ROFLMAO: The headlight was the FIRST thing I saw!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I once rode 1000KM on way on a motorcycle to pick up tropical fish...we do a lot for the hobbies we love :)
How'd those fish like riding home on a Bike?

·
Registered
128 Posts
How'd those fish like riding home on a Bike?
Back in the day, I rode a Suzuki GS 850...it was shaft drive, so the fish were more comfortable...I rode from Montreal to Sarnia, borrowed my aunts van and went to a place called green thumb aquatics to buy a group of fish that were at the time impossible to get in Montreal... The fish were about 1/4 of an inch, and there was 8 in the group. Came back to Sarnia and put them in a plastic jug. My sister also from Montreal came down and a day later It was time for me to go home. My sister was going to leave the next morning so i thought I would just change the water and get her to bring the fish.
Diane, don't forget the fish...
Where are they?
Right there in that jug...
She looks in and says they are all dead...
I look in and they are all dead...
I call around and end up driving to Hamilton to find more of these fish...I finally get to the store and buy all 10 of them, these were a little bigger... Come out of the store wondering where I am going to put them. next door was a huge grocery store, so i bought a big container of water,,, it was clear and looked like one of those gas cans on the side of a military jeep. I cut into the side and created a flap. Tied it to my handlebars and used it like a tank bag. All fish came home alive!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good bike trip story Max!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It seems most stories have a twist or obstacle to overcome. Mine happened in the last few inches of my journey. They were very hard and trying inches to get the Seca in it's next shelter. The weather here has been very cold, but really typical for February in Southern Canada. Overnight it hit probably -24C in Montreal, maybe minus 20C at my destination (Toronto). I hit the highway home around 2pm. I made sure to get my ownership transferred as soon as I crossed the Quebec /Ontario line in Cornwall. Piece of cake,
it is always exciting to have a new vehicle in your name. So far, so good. Took it easy with my old and high miler Subaru Forester pulling a trailer into a headwind. By the time I got home my bike was completely covered in Salt and sand.
Since it is very cold, there was no need to worry about corrosion provided I got the salt off before it hits the heated shelter. So last stop before tucking it in the garage was the coin wash. Water hitting a big chunk of frozen metal solidifies real quick and thick. And I gave it a soaking.
Now at my hobby garage in East end Toronto it was time to unload. My shop is in an alley in quite a nasty neighbourhood by Toronto standards. There is a lot of drug and criminal types around here, so whenever I go either in or out, I am dead certain there are no witnesses. I have been collecting tools and stuff for years and years and have one old German car that has been my best investment ever that is almost ready to drive and very shiny. and one look in would be giving away the mystery of the otherwise Beige building that just sits there. No one ever sees in.

So the bike is covered in ice, the bed of the Uhaul is covered in ice and now my front wheel is completely seized. Can't budge it, bike will not roll. I start sliding the 450 pound Seca backwards being very leery about how I can get it down the ramp alone and not end up under it or in disaster. Once the back wheel hits the down part, there is no control as the front just slides locked on the ice. I manage to contain it a bit but it is getting away from me. It wants to fall away and I am close to letting this happen. At this point I see a largish man ambling down the alley. I pretty well yell help, can you help me hold this. He approaches, stands a bit behind the bike and is not doing anything really. I then suggest he stand on the far side of the bike and push it towards me. At that point he just says he has a bad leg and keeps walking.Sorry he says. This is where luck or perhaps intervention comes into play. The side stand is down and it gets caught between the ramp and the trailer. The bike stops and is stable enough for me to get down on the ground behind it. I get my energy up and tilt it over, the stand releases and down it comes. Now on the ground I am 7 feet away from my garage door. There is snow on the ground and it is slightly up hill. I have no traction underfoot the front wheel won't budge.
Beside my shop is another building. It is directly touching the side of mine. A Three story with a car port. Two guys are standing in there smoking a joint or doing a deal. I dunno, but I am not asking them to help push the stuck bike over the hump. I keep hearing the sound of a river. Rushing water. I ignore it. I cannot move this bike the last few feet no matter what I try. I get out a blow dryer , nope. Just then I remember I bought a super cheap electric winch many years ago just because it was marked down in the bargain bin . I find it, hook it up to a battery, and wedge it against the closed garage door. I activate it, but the bike is on it's side stand and the control switch is too far away for me to direct the bike and operate the winch. So I load up the bike with tension, being careful not to put enough to pull it off the stand, walk over and slide it an inch. Keep doing this till I am three feet away. I found that if I stand in front and yank, it will move three inches. When I get it just in front of the door, I am ready to open it up, so this is the part I am hoping goes my way and quickly. Turn my lights out then open the garage door. I have traction now but no winch power. Final obstacle is getting it over the cement 3 inch curb at the entrance. Of course the last bit getting the back wheel over takes the most effort of all. It is in, I close the door turn on the lights. It is covered in ice. I go back outside and hear that water sound. It turns out the two stoners are still in the unlit car port and the water is coming through the ceiling above them., A pipe has burst, this building is suffering major damage. No one around and these two just mutter a bit then wander off. I called the city and let them know a frozen pond was forming in the alley. Now that the bike is in, I start chipping off the ice to see what I have. I am impressed with what emerges as I wipe it down. I am very happy to have this bike and can't wait to return it to service. Photos to follow

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sure looks small compared to a Vstrom
    The paint is in great shape where the sun didn't hit it
    where it did, it is an odd shade
    chrome is great,

• Note the Sun faded tach, I love the look of real instruments Vs today's screens.. Fork legs look new to me. I don't know if the mileage is correct BTW, but maybe it is? That would be 3841 in miles.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Good story.
Yeah, it's amazing how BIG that little 650 vstrom is, and always get comments on that.
Good luck with your project.

How about a pic of that "old German shiny car???

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think back fondly on my old SECA. I have wondered if I should look for one?.?.? Having rebuilt a few bikes in the past your post just saved me a bunch of money and time. I am very very happy you undertook this project so I see the finished project without spending a dollar!

BTW the largest ticket I ever received was on a SECA. The cop says "the other officer back there would like to know how fast you were really going". So I polity asked "if said anything other then 55 would that be admitting to speeding?". He replied "why yes it would". So I responded "I think I was going around 55". He said "I thought so" and sent me on my way with a large ticket.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Based on my little restoration experience having a complete un-altered bike is a really good place to start. Nothing hacked off with an angle grinder or chop-ed off for some passing fad.

Bead blasting and powder coating is easy and makes parts look like new. It is extremely gratifying to take some old looking part and make it look like you just took it out of the factory wrapping. I recommend "satin black from powder-by-the-pound." It is more UV resistant that the stock paint and looks sensational. IMO

Re-zinc plating parts is easy and there are a lot of You Tube videos on how to do it. And they shine up like chrome.

My 1974 H1 triple is coming along slowly. In my case finding the right parts can be a challenge. Again, nice that yours is complete.

I keep looking for a little 60's adventure bike (e.g., twin two stroke scrambler) to ride at the annual vintage gatherings. Maybe a pair, so the Mrs. can ride one too.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure looks small compared to a Vstrom
Good story.
Yeah, it's amazing how BIG that little 650 vstrom is, and always get comments on that.

I
Good story.

Can't show you the whole thing....but here it is beside the Honda I also bought 500 miles away in Quebec

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I get one more...it will be either a GPZ 550 or RD Yamaha. Never had a Kawasaki

1 - 19 of 19 Posts