StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas where filtering/lane splitting is illegal but texting while driving is legal. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Well I've decided that until Texas either legalizes lane splitting or bans texting and driving I'm going to filter to the front at red lights to prevent getting hit from behind by idiots preoccupied with the freaking phones. I would rather take the chance of getting a ticket by the cops than becoming a statistic.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I'm in California and don't filter at lights mostly because I don't want to be first through an intersection.

What I do is stop about half a car length behind but off to the side. Keeping an eagle eye on the mirrors. If need arises I'll squirt through the gap.

Saying that though I decided early on in my riding career that I would do what ever was necessary to keep myself out of harm's way. If that meant breaking some law and having to pay the penalty that's alright. Cost of doing business!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Texting is not legal here, but that doesn't stop them.
I practice Spec's method. I also don't come into a stop hot and prefer to have someone following closer behind me as I'm coming to a stop rather than have them two or more blocks back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was fuming last night when I got home. This idiot on his phone had to lock up his brakes to prevent running into the car next to me. If he'd been behind me he would have hit me. So I was venting a little. I'm sure there is some sort of happy medium. I get yall's point about not being the 1st through an intersection and I may try your method Spec. The only thing is that here in Texas you get people driving these huge trucks with enormous wing mirrors. They are almost as numerous as the cell phones. Anyway I'm gonna do what I need to do to stay safe, that's for certain. Thanks for yall's feedback.

·
Registered
569 Posts
When I'm stopped and a car is coming up behind I pump the front brake lever a number of times, also have the Hyperlite flashing Leds.
Times I wish I was a cop when I see some of the morons on the roads.:furious:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
When I'm stopped and a car is coming up behind I pump the front brake lever a number of times, also have the Hyperlite flashing Leds.
Times I wish I was a cop when I see some of the morons on the roads.:furious:
Make sure your foot is not on the rear brake lever. :wink2:

·
Registered
894 Posts
At a stop I keep it in gear and stay towards the side of the lane to maintain an escape route. After a couple cars stop behind me to create a barrier I'll put it in neutral and relax a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was fuming last night when I got home. This idiot on his phone had to lock up his brakes to prevent running into the car next to me. If he'd been behind me he would have hit me. So I was venting a little. I'm sure there is some sort of happy medium. ...
You should be angry. We all should. As far as filtering goes, everyone can find their own level of satisfaction. That is once it is legal and riders have a choice.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
The was an unfortunate CHP motor officer that saw a car coming up behind him at a high rate of speed. He hit his lights and the bugger still shoved him a 100 feet onto a rail track and killed him.
The perp was arested for DUI and man slaughter.
Rolling up between cars at stop signs seems a benign transgressiion. You could always argue safety at court.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Sorry dude but giving Joe Citizen and LEO another reason to target motorcyclists doesn't help the cause. Write a letter to your congressman/start a petition - power in numbers!
I'd rather have more freedom than more stupid laws....distracted driving laws already exist, texting bans don't work, except to justify more tickets.

If you're going to write a letter, advocate legal lane splitting - it's demonstrably safer and studied to be so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Texas Lane-Splitting

I am the biggest supporter of lane-splitting, but I have only done it in California in situations where it is legal. If you are filtering in Texas, there is a good chance that some vigilante motorist will decide that you shouldn't be allowed to do that and try to stop you--and not in a polite way. It is certainly reasonable to want to protect yourself from being rear-ended or something similar, but I would probably just squeeze between the cars directly in front of me instead of going all the way to the front. Maybe give the drivers a friendly wave to convince them that you aren't trying to cut in front of them. I have seen some scary situations where a motorist believes that the appropriate response to a motorcyclist cutting in front of them is to attempt to commit vehicular manslaughter. Also, as others have said, it's harder to make the case for legal lane-splitting when we do it illegally. The public doesn't understand the safety aspect, they just want motorcyclists to follow the same rules that they have to. They won't even listen to our case if they think we're just a bunch of selfish jerks who want to cut the line. That being said, motorcyclists are going to continue to split lanes just as motorists are going to continue to talk on their damn phones. Just be safe out there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Reminds me of the monkey cucumber grape experiment on ted talks. Moto gets the grape, cager throws a fit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm gonna +1 on writing your your congressman rather than illegally splitting. I've had enough close calls with people intentionally cutting me off here in CA (where its legal) to discourage me from ever trying it in a state where drivers know its actually illegal. Drivers perceive lane splitting as like cutting in line at Disneyland, not a necessary safety maneuver.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
It's legal now here in Queensland and in the heat ...it's a big safety factor as tropical sun was brutal yesterday when I did first time. 95 F - stop and go ...dark armor and extreme UV.....

I filtered and here you can use shoulders, between lanes and bicycle lanes ( if unoccupied )
But there are restrictions on riding qualifications ( which are strict here )

Buddy sent me this

Here is the link on Lane Filtering and riding on the shoulder:
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/motorcycle/index.html#filtering

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I think CA started out with illegal splitting, cops gave out lots of tickets, but then they started to realize the safety in it and began to ignore it. Now they have it legalized.

That approach might work everywhere, if some are willing to foot the bill for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts