Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of de-rusting the tank on my '07. filled it wit oxalic acid yesterday, went to drain some off today and shake it around with a short length of chain inside, couldn't get more than a dribble from the longer blue hose on the right, didn't get nada from the other 2, fuel cap open,

all I can think of is they are plugged with rust particles, I ran a long zip tie up the hose that was dribbling, didn't help any, should I blow air in ?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I'd say that you should remove the fuel pump/sender and not be running that crap through it.

But what you are missing is the pressure line is out of the fuel pump, you are not going to get anything to come out unless the pump is running. The other lines are a vent and fuel return and should be open near the top of the tank.

Hopefully you didn't damage the pump/sender with the chain

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
not sure how you can see thru the plate, it came off, the assembly was removed from the plate, and the plate was put back on without the fuel pump to cover the 3" hole in the tank
Try to stay with me here. If you want it to drain, you remove the plate. That fuel line gets mounted high on the pump you say you removed. How in the world are you going to drain the tank through it. Especially since that round protrusion will remain full of what ever stuff you poured in and most of the rust debris

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to drain it before I remove the plate, I don't want 5 gallons of acid coming out all at once, once I get the acid out, I will flush the tank clean

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Try a siphon from the fill opening. You guys are getting hung up on what holes let the fuel out. or open the fill cap and dump it from there?
Full gas tanks are a bugger to fumble with aren't they?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Try a siphon from the fill opening. You guys are getting hung up on what holes let the fuel out. or open the fill cap and dump it from there?
You don't want to dump it oxy acid damages paint. Siphon is good. I sure wouldn't shoot compressed air through a tank of acid.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
"oxy acid damages paint"
What about taping around the filler hole and upending over a trash can. There may be minimum contact with the paint and could be quickly rinse off when empty?
Brake fluid eats the paint too but a spill quickly cleaned up isn't a tragedy.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
"oxy acid damages paint"
What about taping around the filler hole and upending over a trash can. There may be minimum contact with the paint and could be quickly rinse off when empty?
Brake fluid eats the paint too but a spill quickly cleaned up isn't a tragedy.
Might work, but if you think about the way things pour out of things that are not designed to be poured out of, it's likely to run all over the tank and the person holding it. I doubt there is a clean solution to this other than your siphon suggestion. I definitely wouldn't have ever poured the acid in there in the first place. Remove the bottom plate, apply tape, insert a few cups of glass slag blast media or dry sand and play margarita shaker with the tank is the easy/clean way.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eh yup !! the empty v-strom tank is bulky, odd shaped, and a bugger without fuel,

seems as though I should get drainage from at least one of the hoses, the tank was not that rusty, none visible from the top, only a powdery residue that could be felt running your finger inside the fuel pump opening, I bought a new fuel pump, I had done the fuel filter bypass about 5 years ago. quite a bit of corrosion on the fuel pump itself, so I didn't even attempt to unseize the pump

looks like I'll be siphoning

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might work, but if you think about the way things pour out of things that are not designed to be poured out of, it's likely to run all over the tank and the person holding it. I doubt there is a clean solution to this other than your siphon suggestion. I definitely wouldn't have ever poured the acid in there in the first place. Remove the bottom plate, apply tape, insert a few cups of glass slag blast media or dry sand and play margarita shaker with the tank is the easy/clean way.

I considered putting an aggregate in the tank, but the odd shape and crevices inside the tank made my decision against the possibility of leaving loose material in the tank, I am using a chain cause I know I have everything out when I remove it

oxalic acid is stronger than vinegar, but not as strong as muriatic acid, it does not eat paint if you get it removed in a reasonable amount of time I have discovered accidentally (however I did get a good coat of wax on the tank before I started this procedure

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure what happened, just as I start searching for a siphon hose (I really gotta organize my sh!t better) I notice the fuel hose dripping at a fast rate, plug was still in it, but hose clamp not tight. luckily, I had left the drain pail under the hose, I pulled the plug, and a stream became better, I took the gas cap of, and a real stream came out, emptied the tank in just a couple minutes.

after that, I took the fuel pump plate off, and retrieved the chain, there were a lot of crystals where the rust was, I rinsed the tank out with a hose, then put the plate back on and put a gallon of baking soda and water mixture, swished that all around the tank, emptied it, took the plate off, rinsed it again, looks like a brand new tank, swished some isopropyl thru it (didn't have a lot of rust to begin with) I'm blowing air thru it to dry it, then I'll let is set next to my dehumidifier overnight

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I assembled the new fuel pump with the bypassed fuel filter and fuel gauge sending unit, placed it into the plate, new o ring, and bolted into the tank, dropped tank off at dealer with a new NAPA 3310 fuel filter, hope to have the bike back by the weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts