StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far, I have blown out two Garmin power cords after connecting to a new installation of a 12v power port on the bike. I don't know why. I have red and a black wire connected to the power port. The red one has an inline fuse breaker attached to it and is connected to the positive terminal on the battery. The black wire is attached to the negative terminal. What's wrong with this install and why am I blowing the power supply cables?

Here is a picture of what I installed:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What do you specifically mean by "blown out power cords"?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If it's a lighter plug on the cord, there is a fuse in it, usually you unscrew the end and be prepared for springs flying out.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you have a plug like this, the end of the plug unscrews and there is a fuse in it. I don't know what you mean by "power port".

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It is a plug like that only with a long cable attached to it. The other end plugs into the GPS.
There's probably a blown fuse in that plug, or it's the inline fuse connected to the battery. Of the top of my head, Garmin takes a 2 amp fuse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you sure you have the red wire on the positive terminal of the receptacle?

Also what amp rating is the in line fuse. It should be low enough to blow before the gps plug. Try 2 amps max.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
68 Posts
The red line is connected to the positive cable but I didn't check the fuse size. It may be 10 amps which is too big.
Do you mean positive cable at the battery or positive terminal at the receptacle? As I remember the center pole of the receptacle is positive (should be where you connected the end of the red wire you ran from you battery.)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The red line is connected to the positive cable but I didn't check the fuse size. It may be 10 amps which is too big.
I think what was being asked was, is the positive connection on the socket connected to the positive battery terminal? If you have reversed it and put the positive line to the ground connection at the socket it can damage anything you plug in to it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Can you stick voltmeter leads inside the power port and verify for us that 12VDC is present?

As suggested above, it could be the 'thing' you are plugging into the port is bad and the power port is fine.

Also... can you plug your GPS rig into a car cigarette lighter and verify that all the GPS stuff works on a power port that is not on your bike?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There is no positive terminal marked on the receptacle. Just two unmarked posts to plug the wires into.
somehow i think there is a marking. maybe you're just not seeing it. try switching the wires on the posts.

·
Registered
944 Posts
somehow i think there is a marking. maybe you're just not seeing it. try switching the wires on the posts.

Before you "just switch" the wires use an ohm meter to verify that the black wire is connected to the outside metal ring part of the power port and the red wire is connected to the little center 'dot' of metal inside the port.

If you just switch the wires and that is not the issue then something could go horribly wrong when you plug in the GPS.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
like blow another fuse.:headbang:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts