StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2019 XT Touring. I am 6'5" and 280. I am looking at getting the suspension redone to take care of the fat butt syndrome I have. I am curious to what people recommend to do or who to go through for this. I found one place I am thinking about going to but curious to see what people say. I am looking at rear shock/spring and forks.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'd call Cogent Dynamics or Ohlins. Both list rear shocks just shy of $700 leaving some room for springs up front. I'd also encourage you to look at some sort of valving like Ricor Intiminators, Cogent DDC or Gold Valves. They'll likely blow you budget but it will go a long way into helping fix the ills of damper rod forks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd call Cogent Dynamics or Ohlins. Both list rear shocks just shy of $700 leaving some room for springs up front. I'd also encourage you to look at some sort of valving like Ricor Intiminators, Cogent DDC or Gold Valves. They'll likely blow you budget but it will go a long way into helping fix the ills of damper rod forks.
I will look into those options. I have been looking into a guy that actually redoes the rear stock shock, changes springs and does the forks for just under 1k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are several shock repair guys. Depends on your location.
Out West , Adventure Power Sports, LLC
That is actually who I have been talking to. His reviews seem great and he is a super nice and knowledgeable guy. I didn't want to say it though because I wanted to see if anyone would mention him themselves. I still plan on going to him but I was curious to see what else people would say too.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I've used Sasquatch at Adventure Power Sports. Happy with the results.
You don't need a shock or valves if you're only looking to set up the suspension for your weight.
Springs will do.
A shock and valves are great upgrades but it depends on your riding style as to whether you need them. There are riders that never touch their suspension, never set sag, never upgrade and are happy with the bike. If you're doing fork springs, you might as well drop in some valves as the additional labor is minimal.

·
Registered
15,099 Posts
For the money, Jay is hard to beat. At the 1st Cache rally I borrowed a shock from Andreas in Utah and put it on my bike, sent Jay my sacked out shock. He did the rebuild and brought it to the rally. He was the guest suspension speaker.
He helped me change out the shock at the rally. Super service.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+++ on Jay at Adventure Sports
He can work wonders on stock shocks & the forks too.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
[QUOTE = "MrJRK, publicación: 5492496, miembro: 213724"]
Entonces tengo un XT Touring 2019. Tengo 6'5 "y 280. Estoy buscando que me vuelvan a hacer la suspensión para tratar el síndrome del trasero gordo que tengo. Tengo curiosidad por saber qué recomienda la gente o por quién pasar para esto. Encontré un lugar donde Estoy pensando en ir pero tengo curiosidad por ver lo que dice la gente. Estoy mirando el amortiguador trasero / resorte y horquillas.
[/CITAR]
solo cambia la bieletas no es costoso y listo

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
[QUOTE = "MrJRK, publicación: 5492496, miembro: 213724"]
Entonces tengo un XT Touring 2019. Tengo 6'5 "y 280. Estoy buscando que me vuelvan a hacer la suspensión para tratar el síndrome del trasero gordo que tengo. Tengo curiosidad por saber qué recomienda la gente o por quién pasar para esto. Encontré un lugar donde Estoy pensando en ir pero tengo curiosidad por ver lo que dice la gente. Estoy mirando el amortiguador trasero / resorte y horquillas.
[/CITAR]
solo cambia la bieletas no es costoso y listo
Luis, that will increase the rear height, but 280 lbs (127 kg) is too heavy for the stock spring. Some valving while it is apart will also help.

Reactions: MrJRK

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Luis, that will increase the rear height, but 280 lbs (127 kg) is too heavy for the stock spring. Some valving while it is apart will also help.
Spending $1000 on upgrading suspension (because of his waight) I wonder why he didn't go for 1000 for maybe $1000-$1500 more for stronger engine, better suspension, better brakes and few more better things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spending $1000 on upgrading suspension (because of his waight) I wonder why he didn't go for 1000 for maybe $1000-$1500 more for stronger engine, better suspension, better brakes and few more better things.
I had a 2006 1000 before I got this 650. Although I really enjoyed the power, I found myself liking it too much. I know my limits but I like to push them too much sometimes. It was a tough decision but seemed the smart way to go for now to get the 650.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I had a 2006 1000 before I got this 650. Although I really enjoyed the power, I found myself liking it too much. I know my limits but I like to push them too much sometimes. It was a tough decision but seemed the smart way to go for now to get the 650.
That makes sense. Personally I'm a fun of 650. 2017 I have now is fine for me in stock set up but that's perhaps because I'm about 100 pounds lighter than you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[QUOTE = "slovcan, publicación: 5492790, miembro: 211091"]
Luis, eso aumentará la altura trasera, pero 280 libras (127 kg) es demasiado pesado para el resorte de serie. Algunas válvulas mientras están separadas también ayudarán.
[/CITAR]
no me parece que es mucho peso recuerda que puede llevar 250 kg la moto....pero si estas en la condición economíca de comprar eso en buena hora el sur amarica es muy difícil encontrar

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
There are several shock repair guys. Depends on your location.
Out West , Adventure Power Sports, LLC
That's who I used on my Vee's shock. Fantastic work, and it transformed the bike from an ass-dragging bounce pig into a pretty damn perky handler.

If I were you, I'd also install some 5/8" raising links out back since you have leg length to spare. This corrects the chassis attitude, much the same as raising the forks in the triples to drop the front end a bit. However, raising the rear instead has the advantage of increasing cornering clearance.

Once you fix the saggy ass, you'll probably find that it leans on the kickstand too much. I bolted a hockey puck to mine to correct the angle and keep it from sinking in hot asphalt or soft surfaces.

Up front, I'm using Sonic straight rate springs. If you hate money, you can spend more on Race Tech straight rate springs, but I don't know why.

·
Vendor
5,172 Posts
Check out the progressive suspension shocks on our site. Two options, both with stiifer than stock spring.

Two options1. With remote pre-load
and
if you can get by without a remote preload you can save big bucks.

Check Sonic Springs for fork springs and their spring rate calculator. Sonic Springs

Go here for Progressive Suspension shocks or or site to order.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Those Progressive shocks are nice, but you don't get a choice of spring rate. They're a great choice for many riders, but there's not enough sproingitude there for the XXXL crowd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts